Nugget Shooter Forums

Good Post for New Detectorists

frank c

Greetings, got out for about half a day with Patrick from Havasu this morning. We combed a fairly large area of mountainous terrain.

Heres a pic to illustrate the common ratios which are variable depending on the area you may choose to cover detecting. There are actually at least a few more trash targets that were recovered not pictured they are still attached to the magnet on my Hermit pick, I didn't bother to remove them but mentioning them to take into account.

The point being DON'T get fustrated or lose interest if you aren't finding good targets it takes time to get your coil over GOLD. The more trash targets you detect AND RECOVER the farther up the tree of experience it brings you. Learning to distinguish sounds by recovering whats in your scoop is an INVALUABLE experience. No one can guaranty what a target is by sound alone. But you WILL BEGIN TO MAKE EDUCATED GUESSES in time. There are other factors involved to take into account when a signal is first heard. The most exciting part of getting a signal is when you start to scrape the surface with your shoe or pick and swing again and the signal is STILL there, because most trash is close to the surface. Then when you take a couple inches of ground off and swing and still hear it then its getting interesting.

Today to find and recover this small piece of gold I have to say if I wasn't running my amplifier I honestly don't think I would have caught the initial waver to the threashold that made me start to move all the rocks and debris off the area that allowed me to get my coil on the dirt flat and swing thats when I knew I had a target and the sound was "SWEET" NOT like any of the sounds of the trash targets.

She Don't Lie my 3500 just like the Clapton song. I love this machine finding birdshot "AT DEPTH" theres alot to be said about being able to accomplish that.

Your confidence level in yourself and your machine will build as you "pay your dues" recovering the trash ratio.

Hapy Huntn

post-562-0-93296700-1292627972_thumb.jpg

Greetings, got out for about half a day with Patrick from Havasu this morning. We combed a fairly large area of mountainous terrain.

Heres a pic to illustrate the common ratios which are variable depending on the area you may choose to cover detecting. There are actually at least a few more trash targets that were recovered not pictured they are still attached to the magnet on my Hermit pick, I didn't bother to remove them but mentioning them to take into account.

The point being DON'T get fustrated or lose interest if you aren't finding good targets it takes time to get your coil over GOLD. The more trash targets you detect AND RECOVER the farther up the tree of experience it brings you. Learning to distinguish sounds by recovering whats in your scoop is an INVALUABLE experience. No one can guaranty what a target is by sound alone. But you WILL BEGIN TO MAKE EDUCATED GUESSES in time. There are other factors involved to take into account when a signal is first heard. The most exciting part of getting a signal is when you start to scrape the surface with your shoe or pick and swing again and the signal is STILL there, because most trash is close to the surface. Then when you take a couple inches of ground off and swing and still hear it then its getting interesting.

Today to find and recover this small piece of gold I have to say if I wasn't running my amplifier I honestly don't think I would have caught the initial waver to the threashold that made me start to move all the rocks and debris off the area that allowed me to get my coil on the dirt flat and swing thats when I knew I had a target and the sound was "SWEET" NOT like any of the sounds of the trash targets.

She Don't Lie my 3500 just like the Clapton song. I love this machine finding birdshot "AT DEPTH" theres alot to be said about being able to accomplish that.

Your confidence level in yourself and your machine will build as you "pay your dues" recovering the trash ratio.

Hapy Huntn

Hey Frank, Looks familiar except for the bit on the blue cap. What in the world is it? Is that what I'm looking for?

"Today to find and recover this small piece of gold I have to say if I wasn't running my amplifier I honestly don't think I would have caught the initial waver to the threashold that made me start to move all the rocks and debris off the area that allowed me to get my coil on the dirt flat and swing thats when I knew I had a target and the sound was "SWEET" NOT like any of the sounds of the trash targets."

This is the Jewell in Franks post. When you can identify and investigate those slight disturbances in the threshold. Often times you don't swing the coil directly over a nugget you just manage to get near enough to affect the threshold. This is why we preach slow and low. Swing twice then take a step.

From a trashy spot using a DD coil, notice the size of the ferrous items.

post-861-0-10458700-1292695233_thumb.jpg

Frank and NvChris

I have come to the point in my learning curve where I think

the definition of 'waver-in-the-threshold' should be right up at the top

of what new operators learn to think about.

I mean, lets face it, anyone with a Radio Shack detector

can dig the screamers.

When I look back at most of my good finds - the satisfying ones

as well as the larger ones (and there are very few larger ones),

it was being able to identify the funny, faint, did-I-really-hear-that

sound that led to, as Frank says getting the coil flat on the dirt,

that ultimately resulted in a dig-able signal.

For me it has become one of the truly important aspects of

more successful detecting.

fwiw,

Flak