Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorites vs. gold nugetts

Hi,

I'm just starting out - thinking about buying a metal detector. One question I have is that most product information is geared towards gold or coins. And, I see people saying in videos "Oh that's iron (because of the sound) and we will skip digging it up".

But for meteorites itn't if the opposite- don't we want iron?

So how is using a metal dectector different for meteories vs. gold propecting. Or is it the same basically?

ThaNks,

Lee

Lee, I'm gonna try to cut thru the smoke an mirrors here real quickly for you.

If you want to hunt gold and or meteorites you DON'T want a coin detector.

You wouldn't want a tack hammer to drive a spike into a 2x4 right.

Basically you don't want a mode called "discrimination" when hunting gold or meteorites.

You DO want a powerful detector with great sensitivity.

Now that I have your attention.... :zip-lip: ..... YES there are detectors out there that have various programs, coins, relic, prospecting, etc.

BUT they are multi-purpose design and the problem with that is they are a "compromise" design to be able to handle ALL modes.

SO you give up a little here to do this AND you give up a little there to do that and so on. In essence its a compromise to achieve each mode or program.

If you want to get the RIGHT TOOL for the job you don't want to "comprimise in doing so. It will lessen your end result.

I can probably go on from here but I would have to compromise my time because my other half is wanting me OFF the puter to go out to dinner.

So others will chime in to futher explain and expand on your question.

And basically YES you do want a detector to recognize iron and all other metals ( nickle) to have the capability to signal on meteorite content.

And iron content in soil and rocks is unfortunately surrounding most area that holds gold. Its said iron is the mother of gold.

I have detected gold before that I would have sworn was going to be a piece of iron trash but when I recovered the target it tricked me and turned out to be gold.

Have fun READ ASK QUESTIONS and enjoy learning what interests you then you will make intelligent decisions on you direction of a detector purchase. :twocents:

Hapy Huntn.

P.S. I just made a post you might find interesting on the nugget shooter forum above about ratios in recovering targets.

Hi,

Thanks Frank C.

I'm seeing all those videos on-line about metal detectors and I'm believing everything I'm seeing. Maybe I better take a break with that...

I expect the unit I get will be a "compromise".

Also I'm looking for a unit with Triple Vandium Mode! ... Just kidding!

Lee

Compromise...the art of every one NOT getting what they want................

Seriously, for a variety of uses (Compromise) there are some good detectors available. The Minelab Xterra 70 with the dd coil will find coins relics, nuggets and meteorites. The same can be said of the Tesoro Lobo Super Track...both can be bought used for reasonable prices. The new Xterra 705 is even better multi-purpose machine and is very reasonably priced new.

Ps this website is furnished by Bill Southern and you should/could be a gentlemman and give him a call...I say this because it is the right thing to do...in my opinion.

Notwithstanding the above comments, Frank is correct...the right tool for the job is best...but sometimes you have to compromise a little....

fred

Compromise...the art of every one NOT getting what they want................

Seriously, for a variety of uses (Compromise) there are some good detectors available. The Minelab Xterra 70 with the dd coil will find coins relics, nuggets and meteorites. The same can be said of the Tesoro Lobo Super Track...both can be bought used for reasonable prices. The new Xterra 705 is even better multi-purpose machine and is very reasonably priced new.

Ps this website is furnished by Bill Southern and you should/could be a gentlemman and give him a call...I say this because it is the right thing to do...in my opinion.

Notwithstanding the above comments, Frank is correct...the right tool for the job is best...but sometimes you have to compromise a little....

fred

What Fred said.. :thumbsupanim Terry

I'm no expert, but will tell you what I've learned. Basically for prospecting for meteorites you want a dedicated gold detector. Reason is that gold detectors operate on a different frequency than regular metal detectors, and give greater sensitivity to smaller objects and give greater depth.

When looking for gold, put detector on all metals and when you get a beep discriminate out iron, and so on, one metal at a time. If it keeps beeping it's probably gold, dig up the target.

When looking for meteorites put the md on all metals, when you get a beep, dig it up. You'll get lots of trash, but the occassional meteorite is worth it.

Actually, you don't really need a md for meteorites, most are on the surface and can be found by use of a strong rare earth magnet taped onto a hiking staff. When you see a dark or black rock, see if it sticks to the magnet, if it does, continue with other tests to verify it's a meteorite.

There are some areas where they are buried, but those are very deep and very large. Whole different ball game.