Nugget Shooter Forums

You will most likely get a lot of different opinions on this one Birddog! I will simply say, I have found more meteorites with a VLF (Fisher Goldbug II), than I have with my PI detectors. That said, My partner swears by his Minelab 4000, saying there is nothing better! :rolleyes: Terry

The one thing I can tell you is do not buy a TDI PI detector from whites, it will not pick-up meteorites! I had one and Whites took it back for that reason, I can't say enough good things about whites, they work with me on this problem, and I tried everything I could think of to get it to work. I then went out and bought a GMT and love it! So I now use a GMT and a MXT, both work great!

The gold bug is a great machine and that will be my next machine!

I have to agree with the Whites GMT I have found a couple pounds of them with one.

I have a hunting partner who uses an Minelab Xtreme PI and gets his share. I know of others that use the Minelab PI's also.

I have gone down 8 inches at least for depth on some of them.

Gold Bug, GMT, these 2 I have personal knowledge of having great capability to detect meteorites other brands and models may also serve the purpose but I havent yet seen any first hand results proven with other VLF's.

Aloha,

GMT has got my vote for sure. I got mine from SGTFDA and the first time out BAM a nice 300 gram specimen.Since then I have found loads of them some small and some not so small. Will not trade my GMT for anything!

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

BTW, I intend on trying out the sd2200 i got a couple of weeks ago maybe this weekend out at Gold Basin. of course I will still have my GMT in my jeep, just in case!

I am going out by the Basin also this weekend but a bit further east up on the masa, I have 2 detectors a White TDI and a x-terra 70 which is for sale by the way :inocent: . Will let you know how we do.

Birddog 1

I had that problem, among others with the GS5-the precursor to the TDI...the detector appears to handle gb's and franconia's as it would hot ground- it ignores them...I suspect a very high iron chondrite, or a very fresh H chondrite might be faintly detected...you could get some samples to experiment with...it would certainly detect and stoney/iron or iron..

have you tried the x-70 in prospecting mode with the e-dd? I think it would detect gb's...donot use it in tracking while hunting space rocks.

Fred

Fred

When I had the TDI I was down in gold basin along with Stan! We met up with two other guys to check out if I had a problem with the detector They had a Minelab, a Goldbug, a GMT, and I also had my MXT!

We tried everything we could think of, and it wouldn't pick-up any of the meteorites we had, it also wouldn't pick-up a nice piece of specimen gold one of the guys found that morning. That was my turning point, I made my last phone call to Whites on Monday when we got back home!

They took it back with no problems, and I bought a GMT that I now use, I still have the MXT that I let all my buddies use when we go out hunting. Living in Vegas I have all my craps playing buddies coming in from around the country, and I try to get them out for one day of hunting when they are in town.

They use the MXT when we go out!

Stan, still looking for that hook-up when you are ready to go out again, as I am now retired so any day is a good day!

• 5 weeks later...

You will most likely get a lot of different opinions on this one Birddog! I will simply say, I have found more meteorites with a VLF (Fisher Goldbug II), than I have with my PI detectors. That said, My partner swears by his Minelab 4000, saying there is nothing better! :rolleyes: Terry

Fisher Goldbug II :thumbsupanim

Hey In my option get both the pi will pick up most meteorites probably not a ll but min lab is good and its so much quieter than the VLF...that sead i also use a GM3 VLF for ll,s and l chondrites, so in my op get both cause they both are good for in the areas .

Iv'e used the Fisher F75 which was a joke in my opinion, could barely find a 30 grammer on the surface, used the Whites TDI and experienced the same problem of it not detecting stony's. The MXT was ok, but the champion in my eyes is the GMT, I recently found a 1.8 gram chip that was about a inch under the dirt. Nothing like the "grunt" of a GMT to get your blood flowing.