Nugget Shooter Forums

A day of drywashing in the city limits

So much black sands loading that every 6 buckets we would dump the sluice and see gold walking down into the tub. Production day so we did not take the time to pan anything down, just kept running the pay dirt. Tomorrow I'll start the cleanup but it looks like several dwt's at this time. Anyone else get out this week?

What area are you located in? Wish I could be out hunting gold but not on the schedule for awhile.

Paul

WTG Bob!

I did an over night in Quartzsite area and managed to find my smallest nugget ever with a PI could barely see the darn thing. Quite a find for a city dig....

Call me when you can Bill, I would like to show this place to you to see what a good PI can do there.

Hope you are well...

Call me when you can Bill, I would like to show this place to you to see what a good PI can do there.

Hope you are well...

PM me your # or give me a ring this morning....

Going to the Gold Basen this weekend does anyone know where the P Office was in the Basen?

Birddog1

Aloha,

If you drive thru Dolan Springs they have a post office on the East end of the town. Hard to miss!

Aloha and just may see you out there this weekend.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Finally got it all cleaned up. Many of these large magnetite cubes in the con's also.

Nice Gold! The cubes may be Hematite though, try a streak test reddish brown is hematite and grey/black is magnetite. Here's to hoping that is a large area and your recovery stays high!

Nice Gold! The cubes may be Hematite though, try a streak test reddish brown is hematite and grey/black is magnetite. Here's to hoping that is a large area and your recovery stays high!

Very nice. Do you hang on to the cubes? I also get those sometimes.

gonna chime in on the cubes...

Limonite pseudomorphs after pyrite. aka, mother nature's way of turning pyrite into rust.

-Dave

Hey Dave, Thanks for the correction and after some research you look to be 100% correct on your ID of Bob's cubes. Thanks for the geology lesson, interesting stuff and I found some more info on them here...

http://www.rockhoundlounge.com/oct3_2009.shtml

http://www.mineralatlas.com/specials/pseudo3.htm

Bill,

small world, that website you referenced (rockhoundlounge)is run by a digging buddy of mine, Scott. Check out all of his adventure diaries and gallery to see the kind of minerals we find in NC. As far as the limonite, they're neat but really a secondary find aside from some killer quartz we found at the same site. Check out the entries for July 25 - Aug 15-16 2009.

We still get gold out here too, got a couple panning spots, got a gold bug2, havn't had a chance to really get it out over the ground yet though.

-Dave

Bill,

small world, that website you referenced (rockhoundlounge)is run by a digging buddy of mine, Scott. Check out all of his adventure diaries and gallery to see the kind of minerals we find in NC. As far as the limonite, they're neat but really a secondary find aside from some killer quartz we found at the same site. Check out the entries for July 25 - Aug 15-16 2009.

We still get gold out here too, got a couple panning spots, got a gold bug2, havn't had a chance to really get it out over the ground yet though.

-Dave

Yup great site and I have spent some time looking around, gotta love the web for info....

Finally got it all cleaned up. Many of these large magnetite cubes in the con's also.

How do you clean up your pan so well? Do you use the blue bowl? I never seem to be able to get rid of all the black sand.

Wow, that is some mad skills! Pretty amazing how gold craws up the pan.

I use a small neodymium, store-bought magnet along with some advice from the mining shop. I panned out some of the after magnet black sand and found quite a few gold flakes some of them not so fine. The advice was to use the magnet 4-5 times using small amounts of black sand after the first pickup.

Last week I was cleaning out some small flakes in my kitchen sink without a safety pan and not paying attention. Some flakes were at the lip of the pan and falling off. Ain't it the truth how gold can thwart the law of gravity and crawl digity-dog up a 45 degree slope!

Bill c