Nugget Shooter Forums

New"ish" Hunter

Hello all. I stumbled upon this forum the other day while trying to map out good meteorite spots in Northeastern New Mexico. Any advice? I've been looking for meteorites in Southeastern New Mexico for about a year hoping for a new cold find. ...nothing yet.

Welcome! You are in the right place. There are several meteorite hunters here with New Mexico experience. Mine is in Arizona, mostly near Gold Basin, and Franconia. Good Luck! - Terry

Thanks Terry. I did about a years stint in the old AZ, Concho and Show Low...sometimes wish I never came back here.

Hello all. I stumbled upon this forum the other day while trying to map out good meteorite spots in Northeastern New Mexico. Any advice? I've been looking for meteorites in Southeastern New Mexico for about a year hoping for a new cold find. ...nothing yet.

Well, all the known finds and falls are mapped and located. There are several to chose from. On yesterday's thread there were two maps posted for every find and fall in the state and interactive links so that you can click and read all the known info.

But all that is worthless if you are wanting a cold find. For cold finds I would research the oldest geology you can find. That would be a geological age map that is also available from NMBMMR in Soccorro.

And the areas in the SE part of the state are the best by far. More cold finds there than anywhere else in the continental US and most of the world.

The area in the NE part of the state will be the most difficult due to the fact that every square inch is private. But as long as you are a friendly guy that does not look like trouble you probably won't have much trouble finding a spot to hunt.

I have been to Roy and Wagon Mound and there are several meteorites that have been found in the area. I hunt with a guy from Mora Co. and he has made two new cold finds in the last couple of years in eastern Mora Co. And there is also a famous meteorite hunter that lives in this area that you may contact, but you will have to do the research and find his name. I am not going to post it or he will be inundated with contacts. he isnt hard to locate though.

I live very close to Las Vegas, New Mexico and if you are ever in the area jsut PM me and I would be happy to talk with you in person and share any info that I may have.

Bob

Well, all the known finds and falls are mapped and located. There are several to chose from. On yesterday's thread there were two maps posted for every find and fall in the state and interactive links so that you can click and read all the known info.

But all that is worthless if you are wanting a cold find. For cold finds I would research the oldest geology you can find. That would be a geological age map that is also available from NMBMMR in Soccorro.

And the areas in the SE part of the state are the best by far. More cold finds there than anywhere else in the continental US and most of the world.

The area in the NE part of the state will be the most difficult due to the fact that every square inch is private. But as long as you are a friendly guy that does not look like trouble you probably won't have much trouble finding a spot to hunt.

I have been to Roy and Wagon Mound and there are several meteorites that have been found in the area. I hunt with a guy from Mora Co. and he has made two new cold finds in the last couple of years in eastern Mora Co. And there is also a famous meteorite hunter that lives in this area that you may contact, but you will have to do the research and find his name. I am not going to post it or he will be inundated with contacts. he isnt hard to locate though.

I live very close to Las Vegas, New Mexico and if you are ever in the area jsut PM me and I would be happy to talk with you in person and share any info that I may have.

Bob

Thank you Bob!

I have quite a few contacts with ranchers around Clayton and Roy. I also have access to some spots near Trementina. I will probably be in the Las Vegas area quite often...I will definetly let you know when I'm going to be around.

Jimmy

Jimmy

Your not alone for 'cold finds' in SE New Mexico. I have searched all around the Roswell area and found nothing.

Paste the bellow URL into the search box on Google Maps and it will show you all classified meteorites (New Mexico) listed by the Meteorological Society.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?sea=new+mexico&sfor=places&ants=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=500&map=ge&browse=&country=United+States&srt=name&categ=All&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&snew=0&pnt=Normal%20table&dr=&page=0&goog=yes&dense=

You can click on any blue marker and get detailed information.

Good hunting...

sundownr

post-23785-0-85811700-1292028859_thumb.p