Nugget Shooter Forums

Help Finding in Minnesota

Hey all Come spring and summer time in minnesota i was thinking about giving meteorite hunting a shot.:)

From what i have read and understood so far Minnesota may not be the greatest place to look, but i sill want to try

and i'm wondering what some good places might be to look?

so far i was thinking parks,parking lots, cornfields if i get a chance to leave the city...

what are good inner city places to start? thanks everyone

Perhaps you should do a bit of study about meteorites while you wait...

I have been detecting parks and schools for 30 years, no meteorites...I have been eye-balling for coins and stuff all my life while walking the streets; again no meteorites...so I think your odds are slim to none. EXcept if there has been a recent fall such as Park forrest, etc.

Plowed fields just after a rain might produce a meteorite with lots of luck and patience...

fred

Hey all Come spring and summer time in minnesota i was thinking about giving meteorite hunting a shot.:)

From what i have read and understood so far Minnesota may not be the greatest place to look, but i sill want to try

and i'm wondering what some good places might be to look?

so far i was thinking parks,parking lots, cornfields if i get a chance to leave the city...

what are good inner city places to start? thanks everyone

There's been 8 meteorites found in MN so that is where I would start. If they found one in a given area, there could be more. Do your research on MN meteorites.

Steve

Bob...where is your Christmas Spirit???? I know you know stuff...can't you give the guy a lift? OH, I know you love teasing and stirring too...but, the nubbie might not...

Happy hunting

fred

I just couldn't help it. I certainly did not mean to rub anyone the wrong way. Dont know why it should have. I read the title and it looked like "Help finding Minnesota" to me.

I wasn't poking at anyone nor was it meant to offend anyone. It was just a humorous comment.

Maybe I ought to just shut up. This is twice in as many threads that people have jumped at an innocent comment that I have made.

You sure have to be careful around here or you will knock a chip off someone's shoulder. It is probably best to just stay quiet lest someone be offended for some reason. I will refrain from further attempts at humor lest it cause an uproar.

I read the title and I thought you were needing help finding Minnesota. I was going to suggest looking just west of Wisconsin. Now I realize you want to find a meteorite in Minnesota. All I can think to tell you is to look somewhere west of Wisconsin.

Sorry

Bob

umm, thanks?

Hi Chazeman2,

Even in a city you might be able to find some small stones using strong magnets. See if you can find out what the municipality does with the sweepings that come off the street. If you can get permission, go run a strong magnet over the pile(s) of stuff the sweeper units dump out. Be prepared, you will also get a lot of unwanted metal objects on the magnet. Wear gloves to clean the magnets off. Another thing to look for is places where the small gravels from the blacktop gets washed into piles. Drag the magnet through there. You never know, you just might pick something up this way.

Mike inCO

Dang Bob...I was just getting in alittle tease myself...I have a sense-of-humor and get your humor...even when you are innocent there is a wry edge to your posts...

I did really mean it when I said you know stuff, I was hoping to get some more good tips from you...

And, you are correct the question asked was incorrectly stated but because I am a generous and forgiving mild mannered little soul...I answered the question that was intended...

ho ho ho

fred

Yo Chazeman 2,

I used to read about all the meteorites that Harvey Nininger found in the Midwest. Most came from farm fields. Now it's been a lot of years since I've driven through Minnesota but, I seem to remember a lot of farms. And if your farmers are like most, they'll have a pile somewhere on the property, where they toss those pesky rocks that come up with the plow. Remember to ask permission to look, first. To me, that is going to be the best bang for your buck.

Good Hunting, Ben

Here is a map of Minnesota meteorites.

Looks like slim pickings in Minnesota...

sundownr

Slim pickings for sure but one of those was found digging a big hole for a septic tank or cistern (?) A large iron was found at four feet. Sounds like an area that needs to be checked out with a sled like you have. I just have to think there's more big ones around.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Yo Chazeman 2,

I used to read about all the meteorites that Harvey Nininger found in the Midwest. Most came from farm fields. Now it's been a lot of years since I've driven through Minnesota but, I seem to remember a lot of farms. And if your farmers are like most, they'll have a pile somewhere on the property, where they toss those pesky rocks that come up with the plow. Remember to ask permission to look, first. To me, that is going to be the best bang for your buck.

Good Hunting, Ben

this is exactly how i found my meteorite..only it was in wisconsin xD

• 4 weeks later...

I have been detecting parks and schools for 30 years, no meteorites...I have been eye-balling for coins and stuff all my life while walking the streets; again no meteorites...so I think your odds are slim to none. EXcept if there has been a recent fall such as Park forrest, etc.

Plowed fields just after a rain might produce a meteorite with lots of luck and patience...

fred

fred

I look through parks as well but no success. I look through road shoulders again no success so far. However, I'd like to add that I've had success in finding only one meteorite on Macdonnel Island in Ontario, close to the water's edge and on pavement, a highly unlikely place, because it is wet and would destroy a meteorite in very little time. Again that was a freak occurrence and because I was very diligent and Providence might have had something to do with it!