Nugget Shooter Forums

Blue bowls

Gold Digger

Here are a few pictures of a bowl made by a friend of mine in Virginia, it works about as well as a blue bowl, he donated it to a club fund raiser and I won it, the pictures will give you the concept and you will have to take it from there.

The bowl is made from the bottom of a 5 gal bucket, the bottom has been cut out complete leaving about 1/2" around the primeter of the bucket/bowl for the blue bottom insert to sit and be epoxied too, the blue bottom insert I'm not certain what it is but it is made of plastic and stepped, the cone is made from a funnel and the top of the funnel is 2 1/2" above the bottom, the hole in the top of the funnel is 1 3/16", the plumbing is made from copper tubing and a plumbing shut off valve like the one you would have for your sink, the copper tubing inlet was epoxied to the side of the bucket and cut/sanded to be flush on the inside of the bucket/bowl.

If I was building a bowl like this I would try to find a bigger a funnel and cut the height of it as you tested the bowl so you would have a bigger opening in the top, maybe a funnel for filling wide mouth jars if they're tall enough, I also have a green bowl so I have no need for another bowl.

As long as you don't build bowls to sell, but instead only a bowl for yourself, I don't think you would be infringing on any patents.

This bowl was dubbed "The Red, White and Blue Bowl" by it's maker.

RWBBowl1.jpg

RWBBowl2.jpg

RWBBowl3.jpg

Here is a picture of his first version of this bowl before he use the blue stepped insert like on the one I have, where he just used a bucket and a funnel, I not sure how this bowl performed.

BBBowl.jpg

Skip

Here are a few pictures of a bowl made by a friend of mine in Virginia, it works about as well as a blue bowl, he donated it to a club fund raiser and I won it, the pictures will give you the concept and you will have to take it from there.

The bowl is made from the bottom of a 5 gal bucket, the bottom has been cut out complete leaving about 1/2" around the primeter of the bucket/bowl for the blue bottom insert to sit and be epoxied too, the blue bottom insert I'm not certain what it is but it is made of plastic and stepped, the cone is made from a funnel and the top of the funnel is 2 1/2" above the bottom, the hole in the top of the funnel is 1 3/16", the plumbing is made from copper tubing and a plumbing shut off valve like the one you would have for your sink, the copper tubing inlet was epoxied to the side of the bucket and cut/sanded to be flush on the inside of the bucket/bowl.

If I was building a bowl like this I would try to find a bigger a funnel and cut the height of it as you tested the bowl so you would have a bigger opening in the top, maybe a funnel for filling wide mouth jars if they're tall enough, I also have a green bowl so I have no need for another bowl.

As long as you don't build bowls to sell, but instead only a bowl for yourself, I don't think you would be infringing on any patents.

This bowl was dubbed "The Red, White and Blue Bowl" by it's maker.

RWBBowl1.jpg

RWBBowl2.jpg

RWBBowl3.jpg

Here is a picture of his first version of this bowl before he use the blue stepped insert like on the one I have, where he just used a bucket and a funnel, I not sure how this bowl performed.

BBBowl.jpg

Skip

Hey thanks. This should work out just fine from the looks of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I made one out of a bundt cake pan before I found a blue bowl for cheap online. I cut the center and shortened it to be 1" lower than the bowl top. I also smoothed out the ripples in this area to smooth the flow and match it up for welding.

It worked better once I got the ripples out of the sides, too, LOL. With the "riffles" in the bottom, it worked great to let fine gold sit in the bottom and get the black sands and other detritus out the center

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a blue bowl a month or so ago for 75 bucks, and i'm always one to look into building vs buying.... but at 75.00 bones i dont think its worth the attempt unless your just looking to try it for fun.

I just bought a blue bowl a month or so ago for 75 bucks, and i'm always one to look into building vs buying.... but at 75.00 bones i dont think its worth the attempt unless your just looking to try it for fun.

:thumbsupanim

Well I cant say for sure since I havent tried the bluebowl yet, i'm saving the bluebowl trial run for an actual on camera test run but from what I understand its for much finer gold, the spiral wheel is very cool I love my desert fox but but I think the bluebowl is an entirely different animal in that you have to concentrate down to 100 mesh, dont quote me on that because when I bought it...it didnt come with any instructions....none, which puts it right up my alley cause I prolly wouldnt read em anyway, but i'm gonna test it with 50 mesh first and see what happens but the dude at "Columbia street metal detectors" store told me 100 mesh is what you use...so the bluebowl appears to me to be for pretty fine clean up. The Desert Fox on the other hand is like a gold buddy jr in that you dont have to classify nearly so fine.

50 works fine,run full to the brim and see the righteous vortex form and your good to go. Prewet all materials and feed on the edge wall and bb and wheels is apple and oranges with much different science for different materials-John

Well I cant say for sure since I havent tried the bluebowl yet, i'm saving the bluebowl trial run for an actual on camera test run but from what I understand its for much finer gold, the spiral wheel is very cool I love my desert fox but but I think the bluebowl is an entirely different animal in that you have to concentrate down to 100 mesh, dont quote me on that because when I bought it...it didnt come with any instructions....none, which puts it right up my alley cause I prolly wouldnt read em anyway, but i'm gonna test it with 50 mesh first and see what happens but the dude at "Columbia street metal detectors" store told me 100 mesh is what you use...so the bluebowl appears to me to be for pretty fine clean up. The Desert Fox on the other hand is like a gold buddy jr in that you dont have to classify nearly so fine.

Bucket,

I have a copy of the original "Green Bowl" instructions that was sent to me by a friend, if you would like I can email them to you (or anyone else that would like to have them)as an attachment, just PM me your email address.

The copy I have is a little faded, but it's still readable if enlarged a little.

it doesn't say anything about classifying, but I usually run #30, #50 ,#70 and #100 mesh as separate runs and pan anything larger for best recovery.

Skip

Damm Frank..."cant a guy risk it all in America anymore" and NOT read instructions??? :tisk-tisk: Actually after reading all of that i think i will buy the deluxe kit...i like those leveler brackets, and maybe trying it blind for the first time might be funny, but not produce the results i'm looking for, The cart you made looks great!! is there anything you havent thought of Frank???

Damm Frank..."cant a guy risk it all in America anymore" and NOT read instructions??? :tisk-tisk: Actually after reading all of that i think i will buy the deluxe kit...i like those leveler brackets, and maybe trying it blind for the first time might be funny, but not produce the results i'm looking for, The cart you made looks great!! is there anything you havent thought of Frank???

Here's another idea. I use a similar Idea for processing 1/2 inch cons after a quick panning at the stream. It is somewhat difficult because flow and angle but it works. Only have a little black sand to deal with. The mini concentrator sluice sure is cheaper. I don't mind setting at home with a beer in hand and doing a little pan tap dancing.

Bill C

130468978667.htm

Yeah i like that set up too bcache, when i first pulled up the picture my mind went to work like it usually does and i tell myself ok get a piece of raingutter some ripplemat and some pvc......then you scan down and see the price and say are you kidding me??? its not worth it to even go to the hardware store for 37 bucks. I have a similar one that i did make many years ago but i noticed the bigger pieces of gold would roll down and off...much easier to just buy one for 37 bucks. I like Franks cart for his Bluebowl though and i'm a pretty good welder so thats definitely on my project list now although i prefer to sit than stand and his looks tall so with a few mods i should be bluebowling whilst sitting on my keester knockin back a frosty :thumbsupanim too many frosties and you start seeing more gold in the bowl than really exists :inocent:

Throw them instructions away as not worth the paper they're printed on. We had all concentrators in my shop to run for "free" in our wet processing area and 1,000's used them over the years. Over 30 years of using the original DAM INDUSTRIES BOWL has given me lots of insight and NEVER EVER stop the flow except to mt---John PS-keene green and blue are apples and oranges and process 2 different types of materials.

Yeah i like that set up too bcache, when i first pulled up the picture my mind went to work like it usually does and i tell myself ok get a piece of raingutter some ripplemat and some pvc......then you scan down and see the price and say are you kidding me??? its not worth it to even go to the hardware store for 37 bucks. I have a similar one that i did make many years ago but i noticed the bigger pieces of gold would roll down and off...much easier to just buy one for 37 bucks. I like Franks cart for his Bluebowl though and i'm a pretty good welder so thats definitely on my project list now although i prefer to sit than stand and his looks tall so with a few mods i should be bluebowling whilst sitting on my keester knockin back a frosty :thumbsupanim too many frosties and you start seeing more gold in the bowl than really exists :inocent:

Well bucket I know what you mean about the big ones skiing down the black sand and evading capture. Usually when the suds are flowing at flood stage but not always. Last week I was in a hurry to set up the mini sluice and mistakenly feeling like an expert, I set too little flow. I noticed that a nice big flake was about 2/3 the way down the ski run but it was not moving so I said to my alter ego "she'll be right Mate, good as gold". Having a mind to flush the black sand down the tubes I let it be for awhile. The area that I'm humping a pick and shovel has very few chunky monkees, mostly flakes. Yep. a half day of panning in 32 degree water shot to hell. The only thing left in the moguls was black sand and gold micro dots that had too little mass/inertia to finish the run.

I'm kind of proud of myself. Unlike most folks I don't need booze to screw things up.

Have a glorious New Year,

Bill C

"I'm kind of proud of myself. Unlike most folks I don't need booze to screw things up"

Now that is hilarious!! :lol:

As much as we all like to play it off that we are the best gold getters around...the fact is we all screw things up more than we like to admit, that in itself would make a great topic, we could call it "The Best Screwups" and then for those willing to admit that we are indeed human could post up their best screw up and then we vote on it, like the time Bill went to pick up his trailer and do a little detecting while out and about but forgot his detector battery= screw up. Or the time a buddy of mine at camp cooked up his dinner sat down to eat but forgot to cook his steak (still sitting...iced up in the cooler)=screw up. The stories would be great, I will ponder how to post that one up and draw the "perfect prospectors" out of the closet to admit their mistakes. Waddya think Bill???

Mistakes are the foundation upon which all knowledge is based on :thumbsupanim unless your one a them whose ego doesn't allow them to remember :angry-smiley-010[1]: and they are doomed forever to live in ignorance---Relish the screw ups as cheap learning tools :yuk-yuk: well maybe NOT cheap like some a mine but remembered and learned life lessons from them-tons a au 2 u2 -John

Mistakes are the foundation upon which all knowledge is based on :thumbsupanim unless your one a them whose ego doesn't allow them to remember :angry-smiley-010[1]: and they are doomed forever to live in ignorance---Relish the screw ups as cheap learning tools :yuk-yuk: well maybe NOT cheap like some a mine but remembered and learned life lessons from them-tons a au 2 u2 -John

You're right on John, I did not really loose a lot but I gained a lesson that I will not forget.

Bill C

Best Screw ups is a grand idea for a thread..........

If done right, the blue bowl cannot be beat for 30 mesh and finer gold! Used to love sittin in camp in the evening sun after a long day of dredging and pounding down cold ones while feeding the bowl. Many many golden sunsets!

Hoser is right on.... don't stop the flow to feed new material....

O.K. John next time I use mine I won't stop the flow when adding material.

I was taught to stop it when adding when I first got mine

It made sense to me because I thought I would be interrupting the flow and vortex action by dropping material when in action, but if you say it doesn't bother it I'll give it a try next time.

• 1 month later...