Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
munizaga

Load Bearing Harness

I use the standard Minelab battery harness that came with my GPX 4000. I find the minelab harness that I have just feels too loose and doesn't seem to give much support - I think the problem is I'm too skinny(my wife says I gotta eat more and put on some pounds) - I tried converting a backpack that I have and that seemed to give more support but it can get a bit hot when i'm detecting in the middle of the day. I don't use a hip stick just the bungee cord that connects from the detector shaft to the harness. I was looking at some of the military load bearing harnesses - anyone have any suggesstions.

I use the standard Minelab battery harness that came with my GPX 4000. I find the minelab harness that I have just feels too loose and doesn't seem to give much support - I think the problem is I'm too skinny(my wife says I gotta eat more and put on some pounds) - I tried converting a backpack that I have and that seemed to give more support but it can get a bit hot when i'm detecting in the middle of the day. I don't use a hip stick just the bungee cord that connects from the detector shaft to the harness. I was looking at some of the military load bearing harnesses - anyone have any suggesstions.

I bought one off of Ebay a couple years ago...I think I paid $15 or so for it...Cheers, Unc

I got a small pack from Bill a few years ago that is perfect. Two compartments, bottom for battery and top just right for a couple bottels of water. It works much better for me than the stock harness.

Bunk

muni...for years I've used a military LBS....they have two different types so if you

can find a military surplus store and try one on you should be able to find one that

will help....

On mine I carry a 1qt. canteen....first-aid pouch...camera bag...GPS bag and a hook

for my plastic scoop....it doesn't end there...I also use the old Minelab "backpack"

that has the compartment on top (fruit...spare parts...ear phones)and the bottom for

my batteries....

I use a Camelbak Mule holds 100 oz's of water plues everything else. During the hot months I load the reservoir with ice.

Rich

I've got a military LBE as well.

The nice thing about them are the belt stays that will hold on to your pants, so they don't start dragging, too.

It makes a world of difference for me. I've noticed that I'm not nearly as worn out and my jacked up back isn't hurting as bad with the LBE as it was with the back pack.

I got mine off craigslist from a kid who didn't re-up and just returned from Iraq. So mine is more important to me because of that. It's like I'm carrying a piece of something important with me that represents America - Fighting for Freedom, making your own fortune (one flake at a time) and Pioneering Spirit!

Just checked "Load Bearing Vest" on eBay ... Hundreds of them available from $5 up....cheers, Unc

I use a hydration-type back-mounted pack, but I don't fill it with water because I can't stand the strong, overpowering plastic taste of the water. I do pack inside of it a small camera, small flashlight, TP, some packaged food, a pocketknife, a small magnifying glass, a whistle, a small spiral pad and pen. There is room for more, like a SPOT if I go into very remote areas alone. The straps are adjustable, can be fastened with cross-strapping both at the upper chest and around the waist and there are D-rings for attaching either the Minelab bungee cord or a Hip-Stick. I hook a water bottle from the back of my belt and carry the rest of my gear in a prospector's pouch tied around my waist with a separate leather belt, except for the Hermit pick which I carry across my left shoulder. I mostly use a pocket rocket battery attached to the side of my detector, but the hydration pack can be, and has been, used occasionally to carry a half-sized 6V lead acid battery and curly cord arrays. Works a whole lot better than the stock monkey harness.

I use a Badlands "Super Day" pack. It has a neat strap hole through the straps and around the collar. I put a piece of 1" webbing through the slot with a plastic buckle. I just clip the control box on it and I am set. It is just about exactly the same as a "load bearing harness" but it has lots of room for stuff and I can even carry a rifle or a bow.

For long trips I put the pole and coil in the rifle/bow holder and I can take it many, many miles. It hold my pick on a hammer loop, my pistol in an integral holster, and a large hydration system. It is plenty big enough for an overnight with a sleeping bag, but if you are going light it collapses into a space the size of a small Camelback.