Nugget Shooter Forums

After graduation with the checks flowing in I had decided to get what my mind has been fixated on for the past 2 years, a shiney new rocktumbler. Something called the 'Thumblers tumbler' which turned out to be an extremely nice product with a pure (what feels like) pure silicone rubber barrel with a capacity of 3lbs. This thing turned out to be quieter than a running sink and doesnt run hot at all after 2 weeks of continous running. After checking up on the first load the water was THICK with extremely fine sediment; you could have stood a spoon up in it literally. So why let all those small rock particals go to waste? They had 'fine grit' written all over them. So i dumped it in a tupaware bin and set it out to evaporate the suspending water (which it did remarkably fast in about 3 days for some reason). What was left was about a 4"x4" tupaware bin with about 1 inch deep of this increadibly soft and fine dust. So a few questions come to mind that i cant answer via google.

1) can this grit be used to dry-tumble and smoothe the surface of the rocks? (not polish of course)

2) what exactly is that factory made tumbler polish made from anyway?

3) can I just smoothe the rocks down and then throw in some wax to polish them instead of byting that ripoff factory stuff?

Whatever you put in your new Thumblers tumbler,make sure its not petroleum based.It'll swell the drum rubber and be impossible to seal the lid.I just bought the 6 lb. model for cleaning coins and havent tried to polish any rocks yet.

"1) can this grit be used to dry-tumble and smoothe the surface of the rocks? (not polish of course)"

Possibly,....

There are dif media for specific purposes, depending on what you are polishing, and to what desired result.

I agree with Haderly, good sites. ;)

• 2 weeks later...