Nugget Shooter Forums

Comparison SD2200 VS GPX3000, 3500 VS GPX4000, 4500

SPBLAZER

I'm starting to seriously look at used Minelabs. Does the $1000 to $2000 extra cost for the GPX series detectors translate to finding that much more gold over the SD's? Will the GPX detectors go that much deeper or ground balance that much better? Has anybody tested these side by side. Are the 4000 series detectors that much better then the 3000 series? I'm looking for the hard facts. Thanks

OK, I’ll start. I think the question is, do you have the experience with a PI machine, the hours of swinging and digging, to actually appreciate the differences in these machines? From your question the answer is no.

Yes, there are real differences in each of the machines, and the technology they represent. The key to all of them is an experienced operator. Swing your machine until you speak its language. You will outgrow your machine after a few hundred hours, and you will want more timings, more bells, more whistles.. that is the nature of gold prospecting – in my never humble opinion. Peace! - Terry

I'm starting to seriously look at used Minelabs. Does the $1000 to $2000 extra cost for the GPX series detectors translate to finding that much more gold over the SD's? Will the GPX detectors go that much deeper or ground balance that much better? Has anybody tested these side by side. Are the 4000 series detectors that much better then the 3000 series? I'm looking for the hard facts. Thanks

There are many differences in the models of Minelab PI detectors as Minelab made their detectors more stable as well as more sensitive. Improvements in stability and sensitivity equal more depth both small and large targets can be heard at.

I could go on and on about the specific improvements and you will get some opinions from folks using early models that they find gold and they all do, but I again point to the statement above.

Much of your decision should be based on how often you will hunt and how serious you are about nugget shooting and ones budget. If this is something you plan to do seriously and continuously you may want to think seriously about the latest and best if affordable, but if occasional puttering is the plan a lesser investment may be right for you.

Even though you are looking for 'hard facts' you are asking about intangibles.

The main thing is to learn some kind of detector. If you are just starting out

then buy a slightly older (cheaper) detector and take the time necessary

to learn what you are doing in relation to not only the detector, but the countryside,

and the myriad other factors that come into play.

Read a lot, practice a lot, ask questions that are specific and based on your

experience so far and most of all develop patience because mainly, that is what it takes.

fwiw,

Flak

There are many differences in the models of Minelab PI detectors as Minelab made their detectors more stable as well as more sensitive. Improvements in stability and sensitivity equal more depth both small and large targets can be heard at.

I could go on and on about the specific improvements and you will get some opinions from folks using early models that they find gold and they all do, but I again point to the statement above.

Much of your decision should be based on how often you will hunt and how serious you are about nugget shooting and ones budget. If this is something you plan to do seriously and continuously you may want to think seriously about the latest and best if affordable, but if occasional puttering is the plan a lesser investment may be right for you.

I will be retired/semi-retired and I see myself going out a dozen or so times a month to start. If I get hooked and start finding gold perhaps a lot more. I enjoy being outdoors and currently hike and mountain bike (before winter arrived in WY anyway)so even if I don't find much I'll still be out there. I have been restoring muscle cars for over 25 years and have rebuilt quite a few motors, its kind of the same thing. You can rebuild a motor for $4000 or $6000. The $6000 motor might put out 10-20% more horsepower but will you ever use that under normal driving conditions, probably not. I hear what your both saying about getting to know the detector, but do the higher priced GPX models go 5% deeper or 20% deeper than the SD's. If its only 5% deeper I'm probably better off not spending the extra up front money. I have read most if not all the coils that work on the GPX's work with the SD's, is a person better off to spend that extra money on different coils? Thanks

SP;

every model was in some way an improvement over the previous minelab pi...in my opinion you don't need a dozen coils to start...just the 11 inch dd and an 11 or 14 mono...usually you will get these and possibly more when you buy used packages...nonetheless, if you have the money and intend to hit the dirt two or three times a month buy the 5000, take the field lesson that is offered with the package and you will be miles ahead of a lone-wolf beginner...

just my ever humble opinion

fred

SP...everyone above has told you the honest truth...to cover all aspects of gold

hunting would take pages and pages of print...something that no one has covered

is about the areas near you that you would be hunting most of the time...like soil

conditions...minerals in the soil...fine gold or nuggets...in the past gold in your

area...the list is a long one to consider...and all of us on here have been in your

shoes more than once in our prospecting lives...I would strongly suggest that before

you decide on a expensive investment that you get a book authored by one of our

members...it's "Fist full of gold" by Chris Ralph...and I believe that Bill Southern

owner of this forum has the book for sale in his store...after reading this book

you will be much more informed on many aspect of gold hunting and recovery...

Good luck!

SP ... My advise would be to plan for the purchase of the GPX5000 or it's replacement sometime in the future. Find a good deal on maybe a 4000 to learn on for time being and to be sure nugget shooting is what you want to do. It's not a cheap hobby to break into buying all the top of the line stuff only to decide that you don't like it as much as you thought you might. Detecting, finding and especially digging, digging, digging is hard on the back and shoulders ... but it sounds like you are in shape body wise ... now it is up to your mind to decide. And of course ... If finances are no problem shoot for the new GPX5000 package and two accessory coils ...a Nugget Finder Advantage 14" eliptical mono and an Commander 8" round mono.

And yes read that book ... Chris Ralph is a mining engineer, a magazine editor, a hobby prospector well versed in all stages of prospecting and a friend. You will glean a ton of valuable information from his book. READ IT FIRST ... then decide what machine you want to buy.

Mike F