Nugget Shooter Forums

Info please

Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between earth Basalt and a meteorite basalt?

I found what appears to be a meteorite, in my pasture with my metal detector and I wasn't looking for meteorites. I live down a dirt road and my closest neighbor is half mile away. The land had nothing on it until we moved here 20 years ago. I live in south central Texas

I tested the so called black stone which is a good inch long and 3/4 inch thick and a magnet will stick to it, however it is not a magnet itself as it won‘t pick up anything. I ground down a good section of the side and it looks almost inside as it does out, except now I can see tiny bits of what looks like shiny silver specks and there is some golden glass like stuff in it that is very small, that I can see with the magnified glass.

So I thought I would ask you fine folks as to what you might think it is as from reading your forum, ya’ll seem like you are in the know.

I know a picture will not help so not going to put one here.

Thank you for your time.

Joy

Heart;

pictures are sometimes helpful but rarely definative, a picture showing the area you found it in might help too...if you can take good close-up macro shots someone may be able to descern what it is and often that it is not a meteorite...meteorlab.com may be helpful.

To partly answer your question...the difference would be that a bastic-type meteorite would have to be blasted from some planet type where there had been volcanic occurances...do some research and get a better answer from the experts...

Does your rock have a fusion crust?

fred

Alright got the pictures....the 4th picture is of the side that I ground down. It took an act of congress to get it ground even just a little bit with the metal grinder.

I tried to get the silver sparkles to show up but they just look white on the picture.

So what cha think?

Like I said I haven't a clue as to what this really is.

Thank you so much for your time

Joy

post-23984-0-15821200-1291063942_thumb.j

post-23984-0-98146900-1291064133_thumb.j

post-23984-0-89087800-1291064348_thumb.j

post-23984-0-56956200-1291064601_thumb.j

post-23984-0-56411400-1291064759_thumb.j

Well Heart...it does not look like basalt to me...and the crystals are interesting...have you read through the old posts and done some of the other preliminary tests? You could polish that out and acid etch it...

there are many past post in this vein...check them out....

Hopefully del and others will give their opinion...my is opinion is maybe...yes, I know that is not much but it is hope...

fred

Well Heart...it does not look like basalt to me...and the crystals are interesting...have you read through the old posts and done some of the other preliminary tests? You could polish that out and acid etch it...

there are many past post in this vein...check them out....

Hopefully del and others will give their opinion...my is opinion is maybe...yes, I know that is not much but it is hope...

fred

Thanks Fred, I read the link you posted and I am going to send it on up to Mendon Ma. For the price I will know for sure if it is or isn't

Thank bunches :)

Joy