Nugget Shooter Forums

How much would this be worth?

My advise would be to take it to a jeweler and have them appraise it. Without putting it under a loupe, weighing it, and just looking at the overall color, clarity and all that there's no way to really tell.

Paul

Hey Ken!

Your photo is blurry and I cant tell for sure, but I would say you have olivine in that rock. The green,glassy things that you see in that rock probably aren't emeralds.

But then it would be nice to find a few emeralds laying around.

Use the other characteristics like hardness and weight to identify minerals too. Do the streak test and learn about the crystal structure of the minerals in that book. Examine the rock under a magnifying glass and look at the angles on those crystals. That is where you are going to make some identification.

And fiddle with that digital camera until then photos come out good. Turn the close up button on. The one with the little flower symbol. Take several shots. Figure out how to make 'em clear with your camera.

And go out and find some more emeralds. Remember, you owe me half for telling you about the crystal structure.

Bedrock Bob

Hey Ken!

Your photo is blurry and I cant tell for sure, but I would say you have olivine in that rock. The green,glassy things that you see in that rock probably aren't emeralds.

But then it would be nice to find a few emeralds laying around.

Use the other characteristics like hardness and weight to identify minerals too. Do the streak test and learn about the crystal structure of the minerals in that book. Examine the rock under a magnifying glass and look at the angles on those crystals. That is where you are going to make some identification.

And fiddle with that digital camera until then photos come out good. Turn the close up button on. The one with the little flower symbol. Take several shots. Figure out how to make 'em clear with your camera.

And go out and find some more emeralds. Remember, you owe me half for telling you about the crystal structure.

Bedrock Bob

Haha. I'm taking a new picture now. It is really emerald.

It being an emerald depends on many things what is its streak?, What is its hardness?, what is its specific gravity? Geologic location will play a big part in ID also.

A couple belonging to the Tuson Desert Diggers club found a couple of very old pack saddles loaded with raw emeralds a couple of years back.

Good luck