Nugget Shooter Forums

While detecting ,I dug up what looked like a very small piece of an old leather boot with boot tacks.Also in the hole was a dozen or so very small pieces of brass. They are a spiral that is uniform top to bottom 5/8 " long and 1/16" in dia.. Nobody here in Stanton has ever seen anything like them.Any ideas??

While detecting ,I dug up what looked like a very small piece of an old leather boot with boot tacks.Also in the hole was a dozen or so very small pieces of brass. They are a spiral that is uniform top to bottom 5/8 " long and 1/16" in dia.. Nobody here in Stanton has ever seen anything like them.Any ideas??

Got any pics?

Bunk

I have found peices like those before and I always thought they were just peices off old brass screwws :tisk-tisk: Mike C...:ph34r2:

Many moons ago the old time carpenters didn't use nails when they built anything...

I know of two large house still standing and have people living in them that was

built by my grand-dad before 1900...they used instead of nails a "brace and bit" to

drill holes in the wood and then they would place dowels to hold the pieces together..

don't remember the names of the "screws" you guys have found but they were used for

chairs and such that needed a lot of support...possibly some old time dry washers

also used them to better hold their dry washer together since they take quite a

beating...

About ten years ago I had a king sized bed made at one of the many one man furniture

shops here and the entire bed is held together by dowels...not one nail or screw...

just like the two beds that El Dorado and Snowflake slept on!!

• 3 weeks later...

Photo of spirals

Highbanker58,

When you look at it magnified its a double spiral down the length . . . . wonder if its fasteners to hold heals on a shoe or boot, since it was found in the hole with a leather boot.

If somebody is in a bigger town that has a shoe cobbler they could inquire.

wonderer

• 2 weeks later...