Nugget Shooter Forums

May have impact crater on my ranch in TX

Hello everyone.

This is my first post. I really dont know much about Meteorites, but I do watch the show "Meteorite Men" on the science channel. I live in Texas, near San Antonio. My family has a huge ranch that has been in the family for years. My grandfather would pick up these round rocks that he kept finding all over the ranch. We have about 20 of them. There has been family members claim they may have found meteorites on the property. We are going to have them looked at to see if they are real, and I intend on going out next weekend and hunting myself with my earth magnet. Now I had no idea what could cause our rocks to be so perfectly round and smooth. I did do a google search and found this link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaubleau-Osceola_structure

Now is it common for large impacts to cause these round rocks? Is that the only thing that can cause them? The photo on this link look IDENTICAL to the rocks on our property. And if we do find many meteorites, what do we do once we have them? Like I said, I am so new to all this, but I do find it really interesting and I do want to know what is on our ranch here in TX. So if you could give a newbie some tips, and let me know if you know anything at all about these perfectly round rocks, I would be grateful to any advice from anyone. Thank you very much.

Deanna

If you go back and read the link you will see that the balls may be formed around bits of ejecta...they are not meteorites...Most meteorites are not round nor smooth....which is not to say that there are no meteorites on your ranch...good luck with your hunt and continue to learn and grow.

fred