Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gubelube

story

hello all, i tried this on robs forum, maybe we can get some action over here. this sounds to me like a great topic. id like to hear some torys about finding your first nugget with a detector. maybe area,depth,weight,type of coil,detector. so on. i havent found my first one so id like to hear some storys and if ya have any pics of your first experience diggin that first nug up..

john

My first one with a PI was a Gp 3000. In the El paso,s a Nuggetfinder 16 inch round.A 2.3 OZer on top of a hill were i thought no gold would be,I almost did not dig it,As i thought it was another rusty can, :*&$*(:

I got 2 good lessons that day,Dig all target :whoope: ,And don,t overthink your location, :rolleyes: I spent about a year dry before that day :grr01: ,The next ones kept on coming after that,Well at least for awhile, :twocents:

Heh, a 2.3 oz nugget is a nice first one lol.

My first piece also didn`t come easy and I remember it well. I went months going to well known hydraulic pits and came up empty every time. Oh sure i was finding the tiniest bird shot i think they make with my goldmaster 2. This was about 16 years ago.

One day my exwife said she saw 6 guys in Folsom metal detecting in these big pastures. So i decided to check it out. I went out there for a few more months and still came up empty. Then one day out there i got a hit and to my surprise it was a flat piece of gold ( 2.7 grains ). It finally paid off!!! Then I dont know what happened but after that i started to find gold like crazy all over the place. Now ? not so much gold detecting but you wont find it sitting at home watching TV, :inocent: so you keep at it.

Jerry

wow denny, thats awesome for a first find. and jerry, thanks for sharing. i love hearing stories about gold. im so stoked to find my first. hope i need a winch to get it out, even if its just a speck, im gonna hook it to the winch lol. anyways great finds and storys guys. thanks for breaking the ice. hopefully before you know it we will have 10 pages to read hear.im gonna head out tomorrow and find that hill denny lol. supposed to be sunny tomorrow til fri. watch it pour now that it was supposed to rain today but didnt lol.

john

When I made up my mind that I was going to find a nugget with a detector, it took me about two months. I had been prospecting for years but not with a detector. I had a pretty good gold machine years back but I never learned how to use it. My first year of detecting, I found thirty nuggets but I had that coil to the ground every chance I got. Wish I had that kind of time these days. The little one was my first.

Bunk

In 1995 I bought a Fisher Goldbug and began finding trash, albeit interesting trash, plus some small nuggets while dredging. Then I got a Minelab 18000 and found a one gram specie next to where I was drywashing followed by a few smaller ones. Then I got a Goldbug 2 and all of the sudden I was figuring out different strategies and finding several mostly little nuggets almost every time out, and the occasional larger one. I've never lost my fascination with the challenge of finding the smallest of pieces [personal bests being two sub 20, plus 30 speckers]. I call sub 10 pieces "micro nuggets". Jim Straight hates that term, but I find it useful to distinguish really small detectable nuggets from the generic old school term, "fines." The first nugget with my Minelab Extreme was a one-grammer around 14" deep using the 14" elliptical -- whole new ball game and a lot of new stuff to learn using a PI. I'm still searching for an elephant, but all those little ones [two pennyweight and under] have added up. My pleasure is derived as much from the chase as the find itself.

Guest Gripper

My first one was 1.74g. Minelab 2100 PI, 11" Mono. Old school Army green one. It was night time and raining with a couple Budweiser 24's and headlamps, just days after my prospecting buddy and I had recieved our detectors (He got a Eureka Gold). We wrapped our detectors in plastic bags and duct tape. The site was the local doodle bug dredge tailings that had been run over a hundred times since metal detectors were invented. The target screamed like all of the fishing weights I had dug up during the daytime. When that nugget (flat and wide, looks like an acorn) came up, I couldn't believe my eyes. Within the next month I had picked up a .25+ oz'er and my friend had got 1.5 oz in gold/quartz specimins (two nuggets).

No real moral to the story here. I detect because I like it, even though I haven't found nuggets since those first two. Dryspell, whatever. Detecting is fun and any of us could hit that football size nugget anytime, as long as we are swinging the coil. Best feeling recently is going over ground that I covered before and picking up tons more lead targets that I missed before (which sound just like gold). Ha ha, getting better.

Good luck out there.

Brian

thnks micro and gripper. very interesting storys. its neat how every one is different but has same endings. finding some gold, loving the hunt, an leaving happy.

john

:brows: Found mt first nugget back in about 1962 with a Heathkit I made from a kit bought from Tandy Craft Store in Torrance. An old BFO at the Redondo Beach Pier,it was on a necklace and what a hoot nuggets at the beach!! Even with lewd,crude and righteously rude machines the beaches were paved with all form a silver and gold--nowadays trash--John :eee:

I was out in the Rich Hill area of AZ earlier this year, a few weeks after getting my GMT-E. I had been swinging it all over everything I could find around my home and near the Bulldog Mine east of Phoenix.

I would even bury my 14K gold wedding ring to test depth in different ground (with a piece of twine tied to it... just in case :stupidrb: ) Depending on ground and orientation of the ring, I an find it up to around 14" deep.

Well, I got out there and someone told me about a hill top where other nuggets had been pulled before. Their directions were purposely menat to get me lost, i think. I found that hill and set about digging with a little swinging thrown in. Now that I think about it with the experience I've gained with regards to detecting... if that hill had been hit so hard as to have pulled nuggets out before, why was there so much trash and so little evidence of having been worked (not many holes or evidence of fill-in).

I got over a pretty loud signal I thought was going to be another stinking piece of lead, but dug it anyway. Turned out to be a little 1.5 grain (I mistakenly told some folks gram along the way, oops) piece about 3" down.

That piece is now attached to a poker chip and is used as a throw down, instead of my wedding ring. (insert "I can learn" smiley here).

So, I'm a little more fortunate than many in that I found my first piece on my first real trip to a known good detecting area. However, I've been drier than bones in the desert since then with the machine. Mostly due to lack of money and time to get out as often as I'd like. Especially since I've not been able to get out since Frank C gave me some pointers at Gold Basin last month.

The first day after getting my GPX4000 I was in the Rich Hill area and about halfway up a pretty steep hill and dug a target that was down about 8 or 10 inches deep. Out of the hole popped anice yellow chunk about the size of a quarter and chunkey. I stared for a while and mentally figured it would go at least an ounce and a half. when I cleaned it off I found a large cal. bullet wrapped in gold foil. For awhile I thought "There ain't nothing to this". Seven weeks later I did find a nice nugget that was a little less than 3 grams. I still have the bullet and chuckle every time I see it. By the way the bullet looked real enough to fool Cris G. at his outing until he felt the weight.

The first day after getting my GPX4000 I was in the Rich Hill area and about halfway up a pretty steep hill and dug a target that was down about 8 or 10 inches deep. Out of the hole popped anice yellow chunk about the size of a quarter and chunkey. I stared for a while and mentally figured it would go at least an ounce and a half. when I cleaned it off I found a large cal. bullet wrapped in gold foil. For awhile I thought "There ain't nothing to this". Seven weeks later I did find a nice nugget that was a little less than 3 grams. I still have the bullet and chuckle every time I see it. By the way the bullet looked real enough to fool Cris G. at his outing until he felt the weight.

slim, thats just out right funny, im sorry but it is. stories like that are worth their weight in gold. its what keeps us active, happy, smiling and remembering. great story. thanks for sharing. i will find my first nugget soon. im givin it heck, listening to all the tips i get. reading, doing some research and making awesome friends along the way. so i know it will come. ive got a good machine, still learning it, but im working on it and reading everyday.it wont be long, my story will be right here with the rest.thanks all for posting. hope to keep hearing. if ya just wanna share about a certain nugget or story like slims, jump in herte. it doesnt have to be your first, but just some special nugget, a certain one that still brings a memory.

john

My first nugget wasn't found with a metal detector, my wife was running the highbanker and I was digging material that had been piled up with a backhoe dug from an ancient bench, I was on top of the pile filling a bucket when I glanced down the side of the pile and I saw a small distinct yellow "rock" about 3' down the 8' high pile and said to myself "that couldn't be a piece of gold just laying there", I of course had to slide down the pile and get a better look and I couldn't believe that it turned out to be a 1+ gram nugget, it had rained about 3 days earlier and I doubt that I would have found the sunbaker if it hadn't been for the rain, this was in North Carolina on private property.

Skip

My first nugget wasn't found with a metal detector, my wife was running the highbanker and I was digging material that had been piled up with a backhoe dug from an ancient bench, I was on top of the pile filling a bucket when I glanced down the side of the pile and I saw a small distinct yellow "rock" about 3' down the 8' high pile and said to myself "that couldn't be a piece of gold just laying there", I of course had to slide down the pile and get a better look and I couldn't believe that it turned out to be a 1+ gram nugget, it had rained about 3 days earlier and I doubt that I would have found the sunbaker if it hadn't been for the rain, this was in North Carolina on private property.

Skip

thats cool skip. pretty neat when ya can just spot them like that. i bet you keep them eyes wondering and looking all the time now lolo. neat story and awesome find.thanks for sharing.

john