Nugget Shooter Forums

when began how long till the first gold find?

Gold_Striker

Tell us newbies how long it took you when you first started to find your very first piece of gold and what equipment you started out with.

Myself I just started doing this found nothing but junk. I bought an mine-lab 705 and I admit I picked some rotten places to start looking. I starting to feel a little frustrated.mad0264[1].gif

I use a pickax but no magnets on it yet. So I spend a long time finding the junk when I come across it. I am learning slowly about geology also.

Thanks

Gold_Striker

Gold Mining Equipment

Well there is an old saying out here in the Dale.

"A newbie must dig at least 100 bullets before his first nugget"

Ol'29er

I got lucky and found gold my first time out using a GoldBug II, a rake, a shovel, and about two cans of bug spray.

Paul

Well, it took me four (4) years to find my first nugget. I always hunted in an area that was known for gold, but found meteorites more fascinating at the time. I tried several times to hunt for gold, but always found myself going back for more space rocks. Dig everything and when the opportunity presents itself, upgrade to a gold machine if that's what your looking for. You have decide what you want to do in the hobby and pursue it. Do the research, investigate the areas and go for it. I started with an White's MXT, then upgraded to a Minelab GP-3000, an Extreme, and finally a GP-3500. The other key point is to really get to know your machine. Use it as much as you can and fine tune your hearing. As for the pick, use magnets, they really help a lot. Good luck and don't give up, the rewards are far more promising and everlasting than throwing in the towel and regretting what might have been. Jason ;)

Morning G.S. ....Jayray pretty well summed it up...follow his advise for better

results....as for me my first time out was in a gold producing area with a Minelab

XT17000 and plain dumb luck...since then have used every Minelab made for gold...

good luck....

:twocents: Join a local jokel club immediately and eliminate them newbie blues. Claims,equipment,demos,retirees with loza knowledge,time and equipment and GOOD DOWN TO EARTHY FOLKS TOO-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :eee:

Hoser John has it nailed, for a newbie a club will expose you to people with all the experience in every direction of prospecting.

It can save you countless hours of trying to understand each different style of gold recovery.

Part take in outings, disscussions, ask questions and above all "LISTEN" when others offer direction.

But your question was how long did it take to find a first nugget.

You will find various answers from individuals. It took me a good year part time hunting, and the day I got the first one 2 more the same day for a total of 3 pieces the first time.

Wether you detect, drywash, rockhound, hunt meteorites, etc. etc. doing it with experienced individuals will put you in the ballpark quickly and mostly without developing bad habits to start as they have found the best ways to suit the task at hand.

Hi Striker,

It took quite a while to find my first nugget and I had to change locations. My first gold find with a detector was near Dome Rock over by Quartzite. That was quite a ways from my home in Colorado, but was worth it.

In my case, my first nugget was dumb beginner's luck, which I suspect happens quite often. I had used a detector some earlier in my home state but found it easier to use a dredge or even a pan if I wanted to see gold.

Now, since finding gold with a metal detector, I never went back to the other methods, but did find it was easy to not find gold.

Part of the problem is newbies are predictable and many of them are former coin hunters so they bring that baggage along with them. Coin hunters follow paths and go where the people go in hopes of finding something they dropped. Do that while nugget hunting and you will follow the path made by a lot of other nugget hunters before you. So, you will be hunting hunted to death spots. Worse yet, like so many others before you, you will pass right by potential locations that haven't been hunted to death all within easy walking distance.

A newbie will walk between two bushes and spend time hunting the bare ground between them. An experienced nugget hunter will know that area has been hunted to death and he will spend his time poking his coil under the brush surrounding the bushes. Which do you think will have the greatest potential to be successful?

For a newbie, the key word is to think. Look around and try to figure out where the least time may have been spent by previous hunters if you are hunting a heavily worked area. There are still a lot of nuggets out there, but many of the easy ones were found a long time ago.

So, for starters, pick areas where gold has been found before. That simple fact ups the odds from the get go. Next, try to figure out just where one might hunt that hasn't been beat to death already. Get off the beaten path and into the brush if necessary. More and more of the nuggets being found today are found where others really don't want to do. This may mean hunting in cactus patches, trashy areas, around bushes that will grab on and draw blood.

It means hunting small drainage areas right after a strong rain or areas where the ground has been churned dramatically.

Finally, it requires patience. If gold were really easy to find, everyone would be hunting it and it would be worth far less. Now, while hunting gold, it certainly doesn't hurt to try to not step over other potential good and valuable objects. Many years ago I gave a talk at a local prospecting club about this very issue and mentioned to not discard an out of place rock that sounds off. Well, one couple did follow the advice and found a nice meteorite, ultimately valued at about $22,000 or so.

Recently, others have found old guns and even gold coins. So, there is a wealth of things to find while nugget hunting. It is all too easy to step over something while looking for something else. Just ask those like myself who stepped over so many meteorites found at Gold Basin before I knew they were meteorites.

Reg

Good advise Reg and right on!

I too was one that hated those darn hot rocks at Gold Basin... Had no clue back then what they were, then I met John B. and was shown the error of my ways :tisk-tisk:

ALWAYS ID ALL HOT ROCKS!!!!!

Took me about a year to get my first nugget detecting and it was in my own header pile after a day of drywashing :yikes: Flakes in the pan and a 1 dwt nugget in the trash pile...

After finding that first one it has been one heck of a ride!

This is by no means an easy hobby and educating one's self is quite important.

GO where gold has been found before is the echo of the day :inocent:

Well there is an old saying out here in the Dale.

"A newbie must dig at least 100 bullets before his first nugget"

Ol'29er

I swear I must have dug a 1000 bullets before I found my first nugget. But once you find the first one, it seems like the odds slowly turn in your favor. When I left Arizona, it was down to perhaps one nugget for every 2 bullets and 25 pieces of trash.

Steve

I jokingly opened with the 100 bullets so that you might understand that this hobby is fun and taxing on the brain. Like Bill, my first nugget came from my own drywasher tailings. I've dug more bullets, nails, tacks, and pieces of wire than nuggets, but that's the name of the game. If it beeps repeatedly, dig it. You never know what you might find.

Bob :olddude:

Tell us newbies how long it took you when you first started to find your very first piece of gold and what equipment you started out with.

Myself I just started doing this found nothing but junk. I bought an mine-lab 705 and I admit I picked some rotten places to start looking. I starting to feel a little frustrated.mad0264[1].gif

I use a pickax but no magnets on it yet. So I spend a long time finding the junk when I come across it. I am learning slowly about geology also.

Thanks

Gold_Striker

Gold Mining Equipment

First nugget, with a metal detector, Gracie & I were in Quartz, AZ. selling

Drift wood carvings of Trappers & Indians, We did not open Monday For there

was not much action at the flee markets, We took a drive out in the desert

to have a look see & found three Guys raking the rocks off a small hill, we

watched them, trying to figure out what they were up to, with no luck.

Garden? Noway, I hate to inter my big nose where it is not invited but failing

to convince Gracie that she should be one to ask them what they were doing,

the WHY was eating me up. I approached this guy supported by his rake & asked

him what they were doing, After a long pause that went on for ever he

finely told me that they were hunting gold, GOLD, man there is not any gold in

that dirt, gold is in rock, I cant remember where I obtained that peace of

valuable information, but being from Texas I was always free with my opinion,

right or wrong with no guarantees. They got this hill smooth & level, the

guy propped up with his rake who I took to be the boss got his Gold Master &

ground balanced it, made a swing or two & bingo, nice clear signal, one scoop

with his plastic cup & he had it, Man O Man, there ware nuggets all over

that darn hill,

I told Gracie our wood carving days are over, We are Prospectors now. I

still have that last carving & no desire to ever carve gain. Gold fever has

taken over.

We drove back to Qsite bought me a Whites Gold Master, assembled it turned

it on & holy dodo, I have never herd such racket come from a metal detector,

I thought I new something about them for I had sold & used most of them.

Where is that darn direction manual? The VLF Detectors had just came out, I

had never used one or had any experience with mineralize soil, After 3 days of

farting with that darn thing, If there had been a tree handy, it would have

a metal detector raped around it.

I seen this big guy, Glen Anderson near my camp giving lessons on how to

use a metal detector to about 15 people in tow. I swallowed my prided &

asked him what was wrong with this detector, He jacked it up & down about 3 or

4" off the ground & had it purring like a kitten, If it hadn't been for him I

would still be out on that darn desert trying to get it to work after I

raped it around a tree.

My first day as a prospector I went to a wash on the north side of I-10

at Qsite, The only thing I new of gold prospecting was that there was gold

nuggets laying out there in the dirt or in rock that a metal detector would

find if you put it over a gold nugget that was not to deep & how to ground

balance a detector, gold was defiantly in the dirt & was not sure about the

information that I had obtained from some unknown place about gold being in

rock but to be on the safe side, I was going to give all dirt & rock in AZ. A

go.

I was working down in the gut of this wash that was full of junk & decided

to give the face of this huge rock a go, got a good signal about six ft. up

& then realized I did not have a hammer or chisel But while trying to pin

point it there was a silver $ size hole,

(at the time hadn't learned not to stick body parts in holes in the desert)

Stuck my finger in gave it a twist & out fell the most beautiful big huge

3.6 gram golden nugget, I was convinced it was the greatest nugget ever found

in AZ

I am sure that if I had known any thing about prospecting I would never

have found that nugget.

Around the fire that night I was the king, every one hung on to ever world

I had to say, I had more friends & respect, then any time in my life, Gracie

even got me a cup of coffee, as a rule she would ask if I wonted a cup & to

bring her one while I was up.

That was a good time. Chuck

I too, Will something find, And Glory in the finding.

post-873-0-97448300-1290369819_thumb.jpg

Used to go to Gold Basin for 2 weeks at a time from Montana, Took me four years before I found my 1st nugget. Probably dug more than a 5 gallon bucket of nails, buckshot, staples, wires etc. Comes with the hobby. After the 1st one then they seem to come easier although there are some dry periods.

Run into Glen at a coin shoot in northern Idaho, Later met him in Rye patch, then Placerville Id, then in Gold Basin, he was all over the place, real gentle kind of a guy, think he even did some England trips back then. that had to have been 18 year ago. In about 94 he and 3 others made a video called Gold Nugget Prospecting, Metal Detecting with the Pros.

Glen was a Tesoro Lobo man, Larry Salle used a Whites Goldmaster II, Bob Gutowski a Fisher Gold Bug and Floyd Allen used the Minelab XT-17000. It was hosted by Graham Alcock, Still got a copy in my library and is a pleasure to watch even today. Anything related to finding gold is a pleasure to watch.

Haven't seen hide nor hair of him in many years. Hopefully he is alive and doing well.

Allen in MT

Golgstriker- My wife gave me a Whites MXT for Christmas 3 years ago.I found all kinds of coins watches etc.But chasing Gold was my destiny.I bought a whites GMT and started finding small nuggets.Went to Alaska the next summer to Gaines Creek and found over 3 oz. of nuggets in a week with the GMT and MXT.But I can't afford to go up there every time I want to go out,so I started hunting Rich Hill and found out the ground was too hot for a VLF.I switched to a Minelab and have been having a blast. Everything said above is absolutly true.Know your machine and be persistent, you will find your first nugget.GOOD LUCK!

"Run into Glen at a coin shoot in northern Idaho, Later met him in Rye patch, then Placerville Id, then in Gold Basin, he was all over the place, real gentle kind of a guy, think he even did some England trips back then. that had to have been 18 year ago. In about 94 he and 3 others made a video called Gold Nugget Prospecting, Metal Detecting with the Pros.

Glen was a Tesoro Lobo man, Larry Salle used a Whites Goldmaster II, Bob Gutowski a Fisher Gold Bug and Floyd Allen used the Minelab XT-17000. It was hosted by Graham Alcock, Still got a copy in my library and is a pleasure to watch even today. Anything related to finding gold is a pleasure to watch."

That was a good video. I was watching the part of it being filmed by the Octave mine.

I hope Glenn is doing well.

Steve

Well I had been a beach and treasure md'r for about 10 years with a then state of the art White's DFX ... first White's I think was 1993 or 1994. Anyway, I asked Chris Gholson when I stumbled onto his forum and website back in 2003 if I could find anything with it if I came to AZ for a week. He basically said yes ... if the nugget was big enough and in shallow ground but really didn't think that was the best machine for it.That was February 2004. I purchased a GP3000 from him that February, got some field instruction from Chris, his dad Steve and Bill Southern the first and second day I owned the GP3K. On the third day I called Chris to announce that I had found a 2.1 grammer in LSD ... "right in my backyard" Bill said when I told Bill Southern. Chris was amazed since he is a card carrying member of the "year or better club before the first nugget with a metal detector club". Chris asked me if I didn't mean 2.1 grains ... nope I am sure it was grams ... and it was ... I still have that very first nugget. After that I bought a GPX 4500 and now own a GPX5000. The GPX5K is by far the best machine of the three ... and also the most expensive ... despite the expense I have great expectations for it after a partial week trial in September and a little more time on the ocean beachs here in NH. I'll be out swing for a full month in February 2011 and then year round come June 2011 when I move permanently to AZ.

So to put it in perspective you could get one the first hour out with the new detector or only after 10,000 hours ... how long will it take you ... how lucky do you feel today? And what experts are telling you where to hunt? I had 3 confirmed experts to advise and guide me. Thanks guys once again.

Mike F