Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nugget Shooter

Rock or Mineral of the Day Thread

Yes it is. The price on this stuff has gone insane. I sure won't be buying anymore unless there is a new discovery to lower the price.

That was on the tip of my tongue but couldn't quite pull it out. Thought that was only found in Canada. Must be old age. Anyway -what do the dealers ask for a pound these days? Not that I'll ever be able to afford any. Ever find any on ebay?

Steve

Steve – I believe that it was originally named from an occurrence in Canada but it has been found in several places. The prices that I have seen this year range from $100/lb to $1000/lb. Not sure if the sellers are getting the high prices but they sure are not going to get it from me.

Haderly - Ouch!!! 1000.00 a pound is a little pricey. Surely there has to be some on eBay at a reasonable price if you have patience. You've had good success there before.

Steve

I check ebay and only found one listing for Gaspeite rough which is unusual since there's a lot of beads and cabs up for bid. But no doubt some of those are fakes just like you find with turquoise, chrysocolla,etc.

Steve

I just looked at that piece on eBay. It looks low quality and the price equates to about $513/lb. A month or so back eBay had a lot of gaspeite but was all high priced. The only deals I have gotten on eBay were with mislabeled items or ones with poor pictures. If the names are correct and the pictures are good then you are not likely to get an exceptional deal. I have a friend that has a lot so if I want some he would give me great deal. Personally I don’t care for the look of the stuff but it is worth having a little of in my collection.

Haderly-

You certainly have a lot of luck with those "mislabeled items or ones with poor pictures". ;)

Steve

Garimpo sent this to me out of the blue... Very cool specimen and thanks Don!2011-06-15_06-40-50_12.jpg

Bill not being a rock hound I have no idea if this stuff is collectible or not...I thought you might

get a kick out of it...for the last two days I've beeped probably 200 of these but none this big...

This one was unusual for it's size and weight so I had a masonry here cut it to see what was inside

of it...thought it was different and kinda pretty....enjoy...

I'm not sure what it is either but very interesting looking nonetheless. Does it look metallic? You can beep these with your Minelab?

Steve

Yea Steve these things will jerk a magnet right out of your hand...I think Bill knows what the

material is....and yes they will drive a Minelab crazy...they sound just like a nugget...to me

they look just like a iron meteorite when cut....

Hi Don-

I've never seen anything quite like that with the properties you described. :shrug: But it sure doesn't look like a meteorite to me. This is another stumper. :???: Anyone have any ideas on this one? :hmmmmm:

Steve

Hi Steve,

At first I thought Magnetite in matrix, but after testing with a magnet and finding it only slightly magnetic I did a streak test... Rusty red/brown streak as one would expect from Hematite. It also shows a slightly rusty patina where the mineral is exposed on the exterior.

That is my guess so far.... Hematite in matrix and a very nice specimen at that.

Still not 100% sure as I am not an expert at mineral ID by any means.

Hi Bill-

You've tested it yourself so it must be magnetite as you say While I have seen both hematite and magnetite in crystalline form, I have never seen anything quite like that as shown in the picture. Kind of threw me for a curve.

Steve

Hi Bill-

You've tested it yourself so it must be magnetite as you say While I have seen both hematite and magnetite in crystalline form, I have never seen anything quite like that as shown in the picture. Kind of threw me for a curve.

Steve

Hi Ya Steve, I said Hematite after testing if you re-read... Streak was brick red. I was jumping to conclusions when I told Don I thought it Magnetite :inocent:

For all you rock crazies if I took you to the area I've been beeping for the last week it would

drive you crazy....it drives me crazy just trying to beep the place....every swing of the coil

I have 2-4 hot rocks under the coil and their not all the same by the looks of them...one yesterday

was a white quartz piece that had red stains running through it and about the size of a small

fist...normally white quartz isn't ferrous but this piece sounded just like a nice nugget so I

found one of the larger hot rocks within just a few feet and after several poundings I got the

quartz piece open...down the middle of the piece was a streak of black material about 1/4" wide

running the length of the piece...don't have any idea what the black streak was but it was

sure hot....

Hi Ya Steve, I said Hematite after testing if you re-read... Streak was brick red. I was jumping to conclusions when I told Don I thought it Magnetite :inocent:

Hi Bill-

Silly me.... :zzzzz: My brain doesn't exactly function like it used to. :) :wah2: I read your post but wasn't paying attention...

Steve

G'Day Bill and Everyone

Well guess what I got in the mail? Very strange piece and a big thank you to Don.

Well the customs sure went over it. But what I did notice when I first unpacked it was the smell of spent fireworks. Maybe that's why they got a little bit antsy.

DSC_4907.jpg

DSC_4908.jpg

Cheers

Johnno

LOL! Suprised they didn't take it out back and Blow It Up! :yuk-yuk:

G'Day Bill and Everyone

But what I did notice when I first unpacked it was the smell of spent fireworks. Maybe that's why they got a little bit antsy.

Cheers

Johnno

Hi Don- Where's my package :inocent: ??? ;)

But seriously- if it smelled like spent fireworks, my guess is there's some type of sulphide in that specimen. That would explain the smell.

Steve

My slab of this material did not stink, but it was not wrapped in a plastic bag like yours. I am currently using mine as a trivet in my studio! Very neat looking stone for sure! Thanks Don!

My slab of this material did not stink...

Don must have gotten your's and Johnno's boxes mixed up. :hmmmmm:

If you want a slab that stinks just let me know and I will send you one! :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

anim_22.gif

OK Bob and Steve that was out of line and I am done, Next time is the last. Period! That was uncalled for and will just start more crap here and it is disrupting the forums since Steve can't resist attacking back either. I have tried to have a since of humor and hope things will be better, but... Now I am getting emails from members tired of this as well and it is just old now and has to stop.

Before one goes to blaming the other we here have watched you BOTH do this to EACH OTHER for years here... Just depends on who is in the mood to start shit.

Why you got to be this way here at an educational forum? I honestly just don't get it and have had it with both of you this time. There is more than one thread with this going on and you are both getting this as a private message as well. What a true waste of time when you both could be sharing knowledge, but look what you share instead....

Bill Southern

What's the beef Bill?

You seem to be disturbed for some reason?

Thin skin?

What's the beef Bill?

You seem to be disturbed for some reason?

Thin skin?

Nope, but you are disrupting this forum and it ain't happening anymore either stop on your own or I will deal with it Bob. You have a good number of members quite upset and you have left me no choice but to deal with it. I have tried everything including explaining the purpose of the forum and asking you and Steve to work it out.

Either you want to be a helpful and friendly member or you don't simple as that and for many years most members have been just that and it will stay that way here as to help others in this hobby not to use it as a place to insult and taunt others for some odd reason? What do you get out of it anyway?