Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nugget Shooter

Rock or Mineral of the Day Thread

Bill-

Did you find that around your area? Good specimen. :thumbsupanim

Steve

Really not sure where I got it Steve, picked it up and took it home after a hunt and threw it in the rock box....

Hi Bill-

If I remember correctly, serpentine can be associated with ore deposits that carry gold and other ores. But that's also happened to me many times where I can't recall where I found something. :*&$*(:

Steve

Hi Bill-

If I remember correctly, serpentine can be associated with ore deposits that carry gold and other ores. But that's also happened to me many times where I can't recall where I found something. :*&$*(:

Steve

It did indeed come from an area I was prospecting gold, but just do not remember which area or if I found any nuggets.... :hmmmmm:

Found an interesting rock while digging material on Sat. It seems almost like it is made of compressed black sand or heavy sand that has been compacted. I was able to break off a piece with my bare hands, and although it is heavy, if you rub your fingers across it the grains will flake off rather easily.

First 2 images are of the rock when dry:

Oddrock0430110061.jpg

Oddrock0430110064.jpg

When wet it looks very much like compressed black sand:

Oddrock0430110066.jpg

Oddrock0430110067.jpg

It is not magnetic. Wondering if it contained any gold, I broke off a chunk

tonight and using my rock hammer it easily ground into a powder. I panned out

the material and did not find any gold.

Any ideas?

Mike

Thanks Steve! There is so much I need to learn... :blink:

Mike

Looks like a moderately course sandstone to me.

Well- maybe it is but in either case, there's little chance of it containing gold.

Steve

Well- maybe it is but in either case, there's little chance of it containing gold.

Steve

Let's find out.. :hmmmmm:

Raining again today so I've got time to solve the question. I'll take the larger piece and crush it up, pan it out and then we'll know for sure. I also doubt it has gold, but can't stand mysteries.. :evil1:

Mike

Please post a picture of the resulting "sand" before panning for more help with ID... Looks like sandstone of some sort to me as well.

Please post a picture of the resulting "sand" before panning for more help with ID... Looks like sandstone of some sort to me as well.

OOPS...unfortunately I saw this about 12 hrs. too late.sSig_aaarggh.gif.mashed it into sand last night and panned it all out.

As some suspected, there wasn't a spec of gold in it.

Mike

Well- It could have been sandstone but it looked exactly like some mice schist I found in Nevada.

Steve

Well- It could have been sandstone but it looked exactly like some mice schist I found in Nevada. Steve

There were several pieces of this substance that I tossed aside and didn't bring home, so next trip in there I'll see if I can find another chunk of the same material. My apologies for not being more detailed.

Mike

There were several pieces of this substance that I tossed aside and didn't bring home, so next trip in there I'll see if I can find another chunk of the same material. My apologies for not being more detailed.

Mike

Quite alright, just curious on that one and would like to get it nailed down... Pictures always add to the challenge, much easier to see it with our own eyes.

it looked exactly like some mice schist I found in Nevada.

Steve

Well- I never knew schist could be made from mice. :hahaha: :shrug: :grr01: I must have brain fog or something.

But it's always much easier to identify it if we have the specimen in hand like Bill says.

Steve

Well- I never knew schist could be made from mice. :hahaha: :shrug: :grr01: I must have brain fog or something.

But it's always much easier to identify it if we have the specimen in hand like Bill says.

Steve

:yuk-yuk: So that would be layers of dead rodents changed to metamorphic rock by heat and pressure deep in the earth...? :rasberry:

Here is one that is getting hard to find on the market. It is from Australia

5587494258_a64ce7fcae_z.jpg

Here is one that is getting hard to find on the market. It is from Australia

5587494258_a64ce7fcae_z.jpg

Hi Haderly-

I see a little bit of green which makes me think it's variscite. But that's a tough one to identify because the colors are muted somewhat. Don't even know if it's found in Australia anyway....

Steve

Hmmmmmmm similar in color to Widgiemooltha, but I think the cleavage characteristics are wrong... I am floundering on this one a bit :shrug:

Bill I think you are very close but the only Widgiemooltha I have heard of is a town which happens to be one of the occurrences. Perhaps a variation was named for the town but I am no expert. I believe these came from the Widgie Townsite mine but that is only a guess based on other rough I have seen with similar matrix.

Gaspeite...

Steve

Yes it is. The price on this stuff has gone insane. I sure won't be buying anymore unless there is a new discovery to lower the price.

G'Day Haderly

Never heard of the stuff. Heard of the place, not the stuff. Pretty interesting

Cheers

Johnno