Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nugget Shooter

Rock or Mineral of the Day Thread

Hi Bill & Rex,

That one was Vanadinite from the J.C. Holmes Prospect North of Patagonia.

Bill, Thats a nice slab of epidote crystals. I would have picked it up too :brows:

That is one cool looking specie!

Hey guys ,

That last pic was a mineral called Heulandite. It was collected outside of Dudleyville,south of Winkleman,AZ

Heres another cool one:

post-1117-0-24850100-1291815561_thumb.jp

Well- the obvious one is Azurite but it's probably something else. With the exception of the wulfenite and the vanadinite, the rest of yours are difficult to identify.

Steve

Well- the obvious one is Azurite but it's probably something else.

Steve

:yuk-yuk: Your right Steve, that last one is something else.

Its actually a mineral called Kinoite, and I think there is appophyllite present as well. It comes from the Christmas mine complex outside the ghost town of Christmas near Winkleman, AZ.

If you guys want to try to identify one, this one is ugly but way cool at the same time. I`m sure gold was present near this specimens locality. :inocent:

post-1117-0-94943200-1291837221_thumb.jp

Limonite pseudo after pyrite.

Its actually a mineral called Kinoite, and I think there is appophyllite present as well. It comes from the Christmas mine complex outside the ghost town of Christmas near Winkleman, AZ.

If you guys want to try to identify one, this one is ugly but way cool at the same time. I`m sure gold was present near this specimens locality. :inocent:

If you were back east I would have guessed lazulite for the blue one

Don't have a clue oh this either. I don't always find iron specimens near gold bearing locations.

Steve

Limonite pseudo after pyrite.

You nailed it greendave41...And a decent sized one too.... :thumbsupanim

Here's one that's self collected although I'm sure my great-grandfather dropped it by the side of the shack we used to vacation in at North Carolina. I found it digging in the dirt. There are three minerals visible in the quartz matrix.

minerals.jpg

Wow Rex,

That is a beauty thanks for sharing!

Here's one that's self collected although I'm sure my great-grandfather dropped it by the side of the shack we used to vacation in at North Carolina. I found it digging in the dirt. There are three minerals visible in the quartz matrix.

minerals.jpg

That is one of my favorites. Kyanite is the easy one with the other two just being WAG’s. The redish looking mineral looks like it could be garnet. The darker mineral could be Andalusite. I have seen Kyanite specimens with both of those before but I would not wager any money on it.

Im going to disagree on the Kyanite. :hmmmmm: Looks like beryl (aquamarine), with Muscovite,quartz,feldspar,and garnet? :shrug:

Im going to disagree on the Kyanite. :hmmmmm: Looks like beryl (aquamarine), with Muscovite,quartz,feldspar,and garnet? :shrug:

Thanks Bill, I was happy when I found it. I actually found a similar sized piece in the ground in Florida, so know that it is most likely my great-grandfather, who was carrying around the material. He also collected rocks. Haderly and Goldfinger are right about the Kyanite and Garnet. I will agree that in this photo it does look a little more like beryl than in person, in person you can see better that the blades are flat, like kyanite. I'm guessing maybe it was picked up at some place like Graves Mtn., Georgia, but maybe it would also have rutile in the sample if it was from there? The black mineral is biotite mica although it is hard to tell from the photo. All of the minerals are good examples of what you can find within certain grades of metamorphic rock "aureoles".

I have always wanted to go collecting at Graves Mtn. I have cut a few pieces of Lazulite from there and the stuff is really cool. If I am lucky I am going to buy some more in Quartzite this year.

Well dang-it Rex :yuk-yuk: I got fooled because of how gemmy the kyanite looked. That is some cool stuff for sure. There is a kyanite locale near arizona but I dont think the crystals look as nice as yours.

Haderly,

I would like to go to Graves Mtn. sometime as well, one guy showed up at our mine and described boulders full of minerals after a little blasting.

Adam,

I think I heard of an area for kyanite on the east side of the Mohave Mtns. by Lake Havasu. I bought a little inexpensive faceted piece of kyanite once as well as a Brazilian specimen. Brazil really has some nice specimens. Here's a pretty good hand size specimen from there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Striking-Deep-Blue-Kyanite-Blades-Quartz-Brazil-/330396600314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ced2c07fa#ht_3354wt_1134

Ok well heres one...

Its a self collected Arizona specimen from a fairly famous "specimen" mine. A little greener than the pic shows.

post-1117-0-68798700-1292557642_thumb.jp

Good Guess`s guys , but Auseeker nailed it. It is the Cuprian variety of Smithsonite from the 79 Mine in the Dripping Springs Mountains, AZ. I just want to say that the mine is off limits unless prior arrangements can be made.

Here is one I picked at the rock show this weekend.

5340442788_87ccb3821a.jpg