Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nugget Shooter

Rock or Mineral of the Day Thread

Here is today's offering....

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

Bill is an very knowledgeable rockhound himself so if it were druzy quartz ,I'm sure he could indentify it. That's why I think it's something a little more scarce then druzy. Could be wrong though... Looks like it but......

Steve

Thanks Steve, but Some of my specimens I have just never taken the time to properly ID :eee: I will also be posting some very common stuff and hope others will post some specimens as well. You see I am using you guys to help me learn as well....

Didn't mean to trick ya :yuk-yuk: Much of my stuff is just rocks or mineral specimens that caught my eye while in the field and some were given to me by friends. I know I should ID it all, but...... :arrowheadsmiley:

It looks like it maybe colored by chrome so my guess would be Mtorolite.

I have no idea what it is but I have seen Smithsonite from the Kelly mine near Magdalena that looks like that.

This is one specimen I don't have a clue on... :wah2: :shrug: If I had the time and the sample in hand, it wouldn't take that long to identify it. While you can identify specimens by photos, it's much easier if you can see it upfront and do tests,etc.

Steve

I'm stumped as well, I suppose smithsonite colored by chromium is as good a guess as any but imagine it could be a more obscure mineral as well.

I'm stumped as well, I suppose smithsonite colored by chromium is as good a guess as any but imagine it could be a more obscure mineral as well.

It was given to me some years back with no ID, had a tag on bottom that said Morocco, but specimen name was gone...

It was given to me some years back with no ID, had a tag on bottom that said Morocco, but specimen name was gone...

One other guess since it may have come from Morocco is Annabergite. It is going to be pretty much impossible to get a correct ID with a photo.

As if this is going to help any..... http://www.mindat.org/loc-7571.html

Eenie,meenie,miny, moe. Take your pick and see if it's green. Seriously though, my knowledge of green minerals is very limited. Some of the uranuim minerals are green as are a couple lead minerals. Am really stumped on this one. Whatever it is, it's got to be very scarce, thus rather valuable as a specimen.

Steve

Heres one of my many favorites.... 125 foot Level of the underground Rowely Copper Mine.

Self collected in Arizona:

post-1117-0-70958300-1291482785_thumb.jp

Terrific specimen and one of my favorites also. Is that mine on private property or what? Is it still producing?

Have been to the Red Cloud mine when they were mining it for specimens back in the mid 90's. They found some nice pockets and then covered it up again.

Thanks for showing..

Steve

The wulfenite on the druzy is definately a nice one...

Steve , as far as I know, The rowely is actively being worked for specimens by the new owners. We used to collect down in the main workings as well as down the Jobes shaft when it was accessable. The owners are usually at the Quartzsite gem show with a plethora of insane specimens.

Unfortunately , I never had the opportunity to collect at the Red Cloud. I have collected at some of the mines near the Red Cloud though, but never found to much.

Heres another Juicy specimen from the Rowely I collected many years ago:

Mimetite (2 types) & Wulfenite on Barite

post-1117-0-01834300-1291563526_thumb.jp

Adam-

Just noticed your link back to Mindat. You've got quite a collection. Really like that malachite and a few others. Thanks for posting.

Steve

Terrific specimen and one of my favorites also. Is that mine on private property or what? Is it still producing?

Have been to the Red Cloud mine when they were mining it for specimens back in the mid 90's. They found some nice pockets and then covered it up again.

Thanks for showing..

Steve

Very nice specimen, keep them coming!

Here is one Shep gave me, collected in CA...

IMG_4144-1.jpg

IMG_4143-1.jpg

If Shep gave you that, it's no ordinary rock. I would say it's some type of precious metal ore perhaps located on one of his claims. The red could be cinnabar w/ gold and silver...

Steve

It is actually Tourmaline... Photos can be misleading, but the color is very close to actual color of specimen.

Ok Heres one from southern Arizona..

Self collected near Patagonia

post-1117-0-19625000-1291684154_thumb.jp

post-1117-0-19625000-1291684154_thumb.jp

Reminds me of the orange grossular garnets from Mexico

Nice.... Mimetite?

Here is a specimen of what appears to be Epidote I walked over a couple weeks ago at Little San Domingo and it caught my eye. So naturally I drug it home....

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

Nice.... Mimetite?

Hi Bill & Rex,

That one was Vanadinite from the J.C. Holmes Prospect North of Patagonia.

Bill, Thats a nice slab of epidote crystals. I would have picked it up too :brows:

Hi Bill & Rex,

That one was Vanadinite from the J.C. Holmes Prospect North of Patagonia.

Bill, Thats a nice slab of epidote crystals. I would have picked it up too :brows:

Adam- Was that vanadinite self collected also?

Bill- I've seen that epidote like that in certain spots near the Weaver mtns.

By the way- that tourmaline had me fooled. It looks just as red as the cinnabar in was seeing in N Nevada.

Steve

quote name='Goldfinger' timestamp='1291728946' post='143265']

Adam- Was that vanadinite self collected also?

Steve

Yea Steve it was collected by me.

That locality was in some rockhound type books for a while, I am unsure if they still print it to be a collecting area.

Heres an interesting one:

post-1117-0-67913700-1291751152_thumb.jp[