Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chuck,tx2

Green stone,Iron stone or Hematite ?

Only thing I am sure of is the yellow stuff is gold. The black stuff is not. The yellow stuff is worth money, the black stuff is not.

Bedrock Bob told me if it streaks red it is Hematite. it streaks red.

Gracie is not to happy with me marking up the porcelain water tank lid, I have a truck load of rocks that I picked up over the years that need testing.

One thing about getting old is, it doesn't bother me much as it once did that she is not happy.

post-873-0-77990300-1290117382_thumb.jpg

That is a gossan nugget. It is hematite/magnetite that surrounds it. Sometimes nuggets are in black manganese, but this looks just like hematite.

You can go to Home Depot and buy a single 12 X 12 unglazed ceramic tile for 69 cents. I found a whole bunch of unglazed 1" mosaics at the city dump one day and so I have a free lifetime supply of streak plates that are little and fit right in my pocket with my loupe. You can also find telephone pole insulators that are unglazed, and many coffee cups have unglazed bottoms. But the very best, lightest, and most versatile streak plate is a piece of wet or dry sandpaper glued to a stick. I use a 3/4" X 1/4" X 4" piece of oak with a 220 paper glued on one side and a 340 grit on the other. I can grind a window and polish it up in a jiffy and the "streak" is evident right away. Make a few extra and give some to your wife. She will use them as an emory board for her fingernails and it will never wear out.

You can also use an old knife sharpening stick to check a streak. There are lots of innovative ways to streak a rock if you think about it.

Now, hematite does streak red but so does a lot of other minerals. Streak is just one characteristic. But iron ore that streaks red is a sure bet that it is hematite or a close relative.

Gotta keep the little woman happy. Just tell her you have given up on rubbing rocks on the toilet lid. While you are at it tell her you will always lift the lid to pee and return it to the closed position afterwards. Call it a campaign promise. Even if you fail to keep it you will get credit for it for the thought.

Chuck, I told you to sell that to your buddy that always takes you for a ride.

If you can get 20 bucks out of him you'll be doing the driving this time. :hahaha:

That is a gossan nugget. It is hematite/magnetite that surrounds it. Sometimes nuggets are in black manganese, but this looks just like hematite.

You can go to Home Depot and buy a single 12 X 12 unglazed ceramic tile for 69 cents. I found a whole bunch of unglazed 1" mosaics at the city dump one day and so I have a free lifetime supply of streak plates that are little and fit right in my pocket with my loupe. You can also find telephone pole insulators that are unglazed, and many coffee cups have unglazed bottoms. But the very best, lightest, and most versatile streak plate is a piece of wet or dry sandpaper glued to a stick. I use a 3/4" X 1/4" X 4" piece of oak with a 220 paper glued on one side and a 340 grit on the other. I can grind a window and polish it up in a jiffy and the "streak" is evident right away. Make a few extra and give some to your wife. She will use them as an emory board for her fingernails and it will never wear out.

You can also use an old knife sharpening stick to check a streak. There are lots of innovative ways to streak a rock if you think about it.

Now, hematite does streak red but so does a lot of other minerals. Streak is just one characteristic. But iron ore that streaks red is a sure bet that it is hematite or a close relative.

Gotta keep the little woman happy. Just tell her you have given up on rubbing rocks on the toilet lid. While you are at it tell her you will always lift the lid to pee and return it to the closed position afterwards. Call it a campaign promise. Even if you fail to keep it you will get credit for it for the thought.

Bob I don't believe in over doing it, She is so happy that I raise the lid, now that my ame is not so good.

Dayam beautiful rock...........

Chuck, I told you to sell that to your buddy that always takes you for a ride.

If you can get 20 bucks out of him you'll be doing the driving this time. :hahaha:

frank c, I don't think I will do much driving if he sells it for $40.00 I am not the only one he regally skins.

Every time I think I can not afford him, he invites me over for Bar B Q Goat, I don't know who he is skeining for the goat, but some one for sure.

He sure knows his way around BAR B Q goat, It is the best I have ever eaten, come to think of it, His is the only one I ever ate.

That is one very nice specimen and thanks for sharing!