Nugget Shooter Forums

Best GPS

SPBLAZER

It's a necessity for me....soon as I step out of the PU in the hunt area I put it

on the hood and let it lock on while I get my stuff together...it's a Cobra and

they don't make it anymore....big screen...has a mapping function but I can't use

that here so I just use it as a GPS to find the truck later...also makes routes from

Google Earth to get me there....

I use a garmin rino 530---its a 2 way radio with a Gps with all the bells :thumbsupanim Mike C...:ph34r2:

Anybody here using the Garmin 550T, others?. I would think a GPS is almost a necessity when nugget hunting? Thanks

Are you talking about navigation GPS units for vehicles? I think the 550 is the one preloaded with 100K topo maps? I would use it if that is what I had. You can enter coordinates into it....

And no , its not a necessity to nugget hunt with a GPS..Its for old people who cant remember where they were, where they have been, or where they want to go :hahaha: :ph34r2: Just kidding... ;)

Are you talking about navigation GPS units for vehicles? I think the 550 is the one preloaded with 100K topo maps? I would use it if that is what I had. You can enter coordinates into it....

And no , its not a necessity to nugget hunt with a GPS..Its for old people who cant remember where they were, where they have been, or where they want to go :hahaha: :ph34r2: Just kidding... ;)

Well Adam I guess when you only know a few places to beep its managable without the aid of a Gps :yuk-yuk: but when you know about 50 or so spots give or take to go its hard to remember them all without a Gps :olddude: X marks the spot :inocent: Oldzimer Mike C...:ph34r2:

GPS receivers have become a useful tool in quest for gold. The units that can display 7.5 minute maps are my choice.

I've been compiling "gold" waypoints for GPS's, hundreds of proven gold locations (placer and free milling mines) in Nevada, Arizona and California. 1 county in CA has over 500 spots!

In a few weeks I'll have a beta versions available for testing, please PM me if you'd like to join the beta test group.

nvchris

I use the Garmin GPSMap60csx and it is great - the 550 was a bit expensive for me. However, the GPSmap60csx does not come with the topos loaded but I think the 550 has topos preinstalled for the US. If you want to use topos on the 60csx you need to buy them afterwards but I haven't checked how much they costs - probably between $100-$200. Topos are real useful to figure out if the area is too hilly to walk with a metal detector. I find the gps invaluable for remembering waypoints and the electronic compass is essential.

I am very happy with my Delorne Pn 20. and Topo 8 software. Add a Map pack suscription for 29.99 and you get access to several mode of data map, including aerial views. Now Delorne package their lastest and greatest GPS unit, the PN 60 with a SPOT receiver/transmitter, or buy the Spot separate. If you ever get hung up in the boonies, the SPOT will reach out and get help via Satelight, no need to worry about cell phone coverage.

Here is a link to Delorne...

http://www.delorme.com/

A very good product, that have received good reviews from hunters, fisherman, hikers, Geocacher, rescures, etc.

More Au to you, be safe out there,

Robert

Hi NvChris,

I finally got my butt in gear and figured out how to download

a very good topo of CA, and upload the parts I need into my Rino 530.

It took some time and some messing around, but it's in there and it looks perfect.

Thanks for helping to give me the incentive.

All the best,

Flak

I too, am looking to upgrade my GPS. Not being all that computer literate and technology challenged, I'm a bit intimidated by all the features and not sure what they all do.

So, in looking at the Garmin, what the difference between the Rino HCX and the GPS62ST? They are both the same price but the Rino has a smaller screen. Does anybody know much about the two? Sure would like to put one on my Christmas list.

Digger Bob

Hey Guys, one website you can look at to compare GPS's side by side is GPS City, here's the link to the website-

GPS City

Since everybody is on the topic of GPS's I'll mention the setup I use. Since I mostly hunt for meteorites (and gold occasionally) my GPS needs are probably a little different from everyone elses here. The biggest thing for me is accuracy and having the ability to upload as many waypoints as possible so I chose a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. The receiver is super accurate (usually less than +/- 9 feet with WAAS enabled) and you can upload custom Points of Interest. It's also nice small, compact, and lighweight, perfect for hiking around. In addition, I also use the Garmin Topo U.S. 100k maps.

Probably the biggest thing I like about it is the ability to upload Custom Points of Interest. I use this to upload the classified meteorites for four states which is usefull when hunting out in the field. Doing this free's up a lot of waypoints.

The only gripe I have is that you can only have 1000 waypoints in it which STILL isn't enough for a meteorite hunter! I look forward to the day when I can get a GPS as accurate as the Vista HCx that has unlimited waypoints.

One more thing- For you gold hunters who think a GPS is for old farts who can't remember where to go... I'm in the middle of working a gold patch right now and the waypoints plotted out on a map shows a trend and is helping point the way! So yeah.... you can use them to find more gold!

DiggerBob,

The Rino has an integrated walkie talkie.

If you work with a partner it is invaluable;

when you transmit, your position shows up on your partners screen as you talk.

Very cool.

The small screen is not bad either since you can change scale and

make whatever it is you want to see quite viewable.

hope this helps,

Flak

Hey Guys, one website you can look at to compare GPS's side by side is GPS City, here's the link to the website-

GPS City

Since everybody is on the topic of GPS's I'll mention the setup I use. Since I mostly hunt for meteorites (and gold occasionally) my GPS needs are probably a little different from everyone elses here. The biggest thing for me is accuracy and having the ability to upload as many waypoints as possible so I chose a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. The receiver is super accurate (usually less than +/- 9 feet with WAAS enabled) and you can upload custom Points of Interest. It's also nice small, compact, and lighweight, perfect for hiking around. In addition, I also use the Garmin Topo U.S. 100k maps.

Probably the biggest thing I like about it is the ability to upload Custom Points of Interest. I use this to upload the classified meteorites for four states which is usefull when hunting out in the field. Doing this free's up a lot of waypoints.

The only gripe I have is that you can only have 1000 waypoints in it which STILL isn't enough for a meteorite hunter! I look forward to the day when I can get a GPS as accurate as the Vista HCx that has unlimited waypoints.

One more thing- For you gold hunters who think a GPS is for old farts who can't remember where to go... I'm in the middle of working a gold patch right now and the waypoints plotted out on a map shows a trend and is helping point the way! So yeah.... you can use them to find more gold!

Thanks for the good website. SPB

Hi Del gold "almost" always runs in some kind of line and using a Gps is like connecting the dots a pattern will be revealed :head: Mike C...:ph34r2:

DiggerBob,

The Rino has an integrated walkie talkie.

If you work with a partner it is invaluable;

when you transmit, your position shows up on your partners screen as you talk.

Very cool.

The small screen is not bad either since you can change scale and

make whatever it is you want to see quite viewable.

hope this helps,

Flak

The 530 is the best of both worlds and then some with the other features :twocents: Mike C...:ninja:

Hi Mike,

I have always the 530 was an underrated gps.

It is waterproof, you can knock the crap out of it and it won't break,

it's reliable and accurate and if you are internet savvy you can download

topo maps that are 'way better than the Garmin ones.

Although it doesn't have a memory card you can still load more than

enough info for a long prospecting trip.

Oh and the radio is quite good.

If you are in an open area you can literally transmit for miles

and in most areas it is more than adequate.

I have had mine since they came out and have never had a problem

and it's been through some crazy stuff.

I don't really like Garmin's map swindle but there are lots of

ways to get around that.

fwiw

Flak

Hi Mike,

I have always the 530 was an underrated gps.

It is waterproof, you can knock the crap out of it and it won't break,

it's reliable and accurate and if you are internet savvy you can download

topo maps that are 'way better than the Garmin ones.

Although it doesn't have a memory card you can still load more than

enough info for a long prospecting trip.

Oh and the radio is quite good.

If you are in an open area you can literally transmit for miles

and in most areas it is more than adequate.

I have had mine since they came out and have never had a problem

and it's been through some crazy stuff.

I don't really like Garmin's map swindle but there are lots of

ways to get around that.

fwiw

Flak

Hi Flak I have the older version as well--the cx model takes a sd card which can hold way more but I was able to down load all my AZ gold areas in mine which is good enough for me :thumbsupanim Mike C...:ph34r2:

I also have the 530. ,I wish i would have waited a year and got the new rino that has the sd card,There is nothing like wondering were your partner is and just talking to them and there they are on the map,Great for family outings/trips also. :eee:

Thats how i knew were flak was getting his gold,

I feel it is the best one on the market, There is a chevy ford thing with people on these,I have had mine over 5 years,{i think} :stupidrb: ,It is very durable and reliable. :twocents:

Mike why did you have to tell everyone about the lines and paterns, GEEEz, :ph34r2:

I also have the 530. ,I wish i would have waited a year and got the new rino that has the sd card,There is nothing like wondering were your partner is and just talking to them and there they are on the map,Great for family outings/trips also. :eee:

Thats how i knew were flak was getting his gold,

I feel it is the best one on the market, There is a chevy ford thing with people on these,I have had mine over 5 years,{i think} :stupidrb: ,It is very durable and reliable. :twocents:

Mike why did you have to tell everyone about the lines and paterns, GEEEz, :ph34r2:

Hi Denny the hardest part is finding the 1st one and then so on before the peices fit - but hey Gps's are for old folks anyway-no worries here :shhhhh: Mike C...:ph34r2: PS-Remember I Said almost :zip-lip:

Mike who is calling you old, :tisk-tisk: Put ,em up .Some write with out thinking, Me included, :stupidrb:

That old GM 3 is still purring along. :inocent:

A GPS is as important as having a good detector,

The 530 is the best of both worlds and then some with the other features :twocents: Mike C...:ninja:

Well, I don't need the radio since I already have 4 and everyone I hunt with has one and we're on the same channel. And nobody else has a GPS, or at least a new one, or if they do, they don't know how to use it. The Rino 530 has the radio, but I don't need it. I'm seriously looking at the GPS MAP 62st. It's the same price as the Rino and seems to have actually some better features; more waypoints, tracks, bigger screen,etc. And if I'm reading things right, I can get the 7.5 USGS topos for it - somewhere. All I need is Calif. and Nevada, and only the northern part.

I guess my question is this; There are three different versions of the 62, with the st being the top of the line, and most expensive. With what I want to do, is it necessary to go to the top of the line or would one of the lesser models do just fine? I may just have to drive over to Cabellas and talk to someone who knows them, look at them, and actually see what they can do.

Any one here have any experience with this model?

Digger Bob

Bob,

I'd go for one of the lesser, just get one that has the micro SD cards and a big screen. Spend the savings on maps and a tank of gas :)

You just have to decide on buttons like the 60's or that big, bright easy to read touch screen on the Oregon's.

I like Garmin's mapping software and there method of loading data onto the unit.

Chris

Archived