Nugget Shooter Forums

This rock has sat on my desk for years, & every day I wonder if this thing could represent a new truck or a steak dinner, I was offered $20.00 for it from a friend that has skinned me on every trade we have entered. I have found S R from Gold Basin & seen Iron S R. & this thing doesn't resemble those.It has a dull finish over all but where I filed it looks like iron, I think I found it at Rye Patch.

Thanks in advance. Chuck

post-873-027661600 1290018774_thumb.jpg

post-873-021567900 1290018845_thumb.jpg

post-873-019928700 1290018905_thumb.jpg

post-873-087638500 1290018969_thumb.jpg

Chuck ... since you appear to be in TX by your screen name ... the best thing for you to do is take it to TCU in Fort Worth I think. There is a meteorite museum there ... they could probably tell you for sure! Good luck.

Mike F

I'm a newbie at this, but I'll stick my neck out, and my nose in, and give my humble opinion that it's not a meteorite. It has air holes blown out on the surface, and appears to have small flecks of other material on the surface, no fusion crust.

Does a magnet stick to it?

Chuck ... since you appear to be in TX by your screen name ... the best thing for you to do is take it to TCU in Fort Worth I think. There is a meteorite museum there ... they could probably tell you for sure! Good luck.

Mike F

Mike, Thinks, I will give them a try.

Absolutely 100% not a meteorite. I see no evidence of fusion crust and it has air bubbles in it. All indications of a meteorwrong.

The advice of "taking it to a scientist" is not good because it backs them up and takes away from their time to look at real meteorites. With a little bit of online research most people have the aptitude to figure out if it's the real deal or not. I would think it would be better advice to advise the person to do a few simple home tests to determin it on their own. If everything checks out, then take it to a scientist.

It takes forever to get a real meteorite classified now and one of the reasons is because the scientists are so backed up and have to spend time looking at the enormous amounts of meteorwrongs that are coming through their doors now. If people learned how to do simple tests on their own it could free up some scientists time and allow them to get busy classifying meteorites.

So don't bother taking it to TCU because you'll hear the same thing only it will probably take them a few months (or years) to tell you that.

PS- There is a meteorite forum here. Next time it might be a good idea to post in there.

I'm a newbie at this, but I'll stick my neck out, and my nose in, and give my humble opinion that it's not a meteorite. It has air holes blown out on the surface, and appears to have small flecks of other material on the surface, no fusion crust.

Does a magnet stick to it?

EdD270, The small flecks are metal showing through the black exterior, Image # 2 shows where I filed it,& looks like pure iron. yes a magnet will stick to it.

I am hoping some one will say (hint hint) that it is a rare Space Rock & no telling what it is worth so I could tell my Friend & make him feel bad for skinning me on all those trades. Thanks

EdD270, The small flecks are metal showing through the black exterior, Image # 2 shows where I filed it,& looks like pure iron. yes a magnet will stick to it.

I am hoping some one will say (hint hint) that it is a rare Space Rock & no telling what it is worth so I could tell my Friend & make him feel bad for skinning me on all those trades. Thanks

Hi Chuck.... NOT A METEORITE AT ALL, so I don't think someone here is foolish enough to tell you it's a rare meteorite when it isn't. It doesn't even look remotely close to any type of meteorite out there. It's some sort of earth rock or slag.

Let's put this logically- There's no air in space to develop air bubbles. First indication of a meteorwrong.

Maybe you could skin your "friend" back by lieing to him and tell him it's a meteorite then sell it to him?

It is a hematite concretion. When you filed the window the abrasive turned red didn't it? Hematite has a red streak and a meteorite has none.

I have one that looks just like it!

Bob, Thanks a bunch, I scratched it on the toilet tank lid & it left a red streak, I now feel better but still nervous about selling it to my friend. He is a sharp trader.

Chuck. It aint what you think it is No way no how, Now relax and let the cards fall. he may be feeding off your determinated belief that it is a metiorite,we all are wrong now and again,It,s ok take the 20 bucks,,

Chuck. It aint what you think it is No way no how, Now relax and let the cards fall. he may be feeding off your determinated belief that it is a metiorite,we all are wrong now and again,It,s ok take the 20 bucks,,

Denny, I was sure it was a leverite & didn't think much about it Intel my friend offered me $20 for it, That is when the red flag went up & I got leary that he was sharping his knife for a skinning, ME.

Denny, I was sure it was a leverite & didn't think much about it Intel my friend offered me $20 for it, That is when the red flag went up & I got leary that he was sharping his knife for a skinning, ME.

What goes around comes around. Sometimes the skinner becomes the skin-ee. Let him talk you into the sale, it'll be a good lesson for him.

Bob, Thanks a bunch, I scratched it on the toilet tank lid & it left a red streak, I now feel better but still nervous about selling it to my friend. He is a sharp trader.

I thought so. I found a rock that really made my detector go wild about 20 years ago. It was highly magnetic, and was as heavy as hell. I I.D.'d it as hematite and left it there. 20 years later I started looking for meteorites and I remembered that rock. It was one of several that I was CERTAIN was a space rock.

I went out and found that thing again after all those years. The detector sounded a little funny and gave a slightly "negative" signal before beeping.I cut a window and it was not QUITE shiny iron...a little grey or graphite looking. The streak was red and the window oxidized to a dark metallic finish in a day or so. Almost native metal but not QUITE. It was my first meteorwrong. I have it on the shelf with a big neo magnet stuck to it. You can barely pull that magnet off.

Now some will tell you that hematite is not magnetic. Well, sometimes it is and sometimes it isnt. But if the surface is porous, the streak is red, and the "metal" inside is not bright and shiny it is definitely NOT A METEORITE and is probably hematite.

I have a brand new digital camera and I will post a photo of that rock I found TWICE over a 20 year period. I like it better than any of my meteorite specimens that I have found. One day I am going to make some beads out of it and polish them up for a good luck charm. Either that or make a sphere out of it and mount it like a crystal ball. It may be a meteorwrong, but it certainly is NOT leaverite!

Bob

Here is that hematite concretion that I found twice in 20 years.It looks just like yours but a little different shape.

That is a Campo De Cielo stuck to the side of the rock with a neo magnet. The hematite is almost as magnetic as the iron.