Nugget Shooter Forums

New Technology to Find Meteorite Impacts

Lidar- (Light Detection and Ranging) is helping find meteor impact crators, that were hidden, but I think this new mapping technology will help find a lot more impact sites, and could also help map ancient river channels.

Dave

post-1046-082084400 1289602452_thumb.jpg

post-1046-018730300 1289602461_thumb.jpg

Dave

I was thinking if they can do this from space (like 200 miles up) then we dummies on the ground should be able to come up with something which can fit into a RC aircraft (remote control) and survey local areas for small impact craters. I realize this sounds a bit crazy but considering the small size of sensors these days it is a possibility.

Here are some craters I found in New Mexico. I you click on Bandera Crater (volcano) for example then click on the photos button you will see some great shots of the crater. I found all of these locations and photos on Google.

I am planning a hunt to the Ice Caves area in the Spring. If anybody wants to tag along let me know. I plan to bring an RV and stay a week or more. Note.. my wife is a great cook.

Bandera Crater Ice Caves 34.9997623-108.0831175

El Calderon Ice Caves 34.9586528-108.0178379

Horseshoe Crater Kiowa 36.6833591-104.0330288

Lost Woman Crater Ice Caves 34.9628189-108.0814506

Maxson Crater Maxson Crater 35.8986503-104.8897209

Valles Caldera Valle San Antonio 35.9000222-106.5505896

Wissmath Craters La Segita Peaks 36.8208504-105.9466825

Thanks for sharing your photos...

sundownr

Dave

I was thinking if they can do this from space (like 200 miles up) then we dummies on the ground should be able to come up with something which can fit into a RC aircraft (remote control) and survey local areas for small impact craters. I realize this sounds a bit crazy but considering the small size of sensors these days it is a possibility.

Here are some craters I found in New Mexico. I you click on Bandera Crater (volcano) for example then click on the photos button you will see some great shots of the crater. I found all of these locations and photos on Google.

I am planning a hunt to the Ice Caves area in the Spring. If anybody wants to tag along let me know. I plan to bring an RV and stay a week or more. Note.. my wife is a great cook.

Bandera Crater Ice Caves 34.9997623-108.0831175

El Calderon Ice Caves 34.9586528-108.0178379

Horseshoe Crater Kiowa 36.6833591-104.0330288

Lost Woman Crater Ice Caves 34.9628189-108.0814506

Maxson Crater Maxson Crater 35.8986503-104.8897209

Valles Caldera Valle San Antonio 35.9000222-106.5505896

Wissmath Craters La Segita Peaks 36.8208504-105.9466825

Thanks for sharing your photos...

sundownr

Arent all of the craters you mentioned here of volcanic origin? I know for cetain that both of the "ice caves" craters are, as well as several others like Valles, Bandera, Wismath, Horseshoe and Maxon.

There are meteorites found "near" the ice caves but they are from an observed fall back in the 1800's. The strewn field is a large one that encompasses many square miles. I have hunted it several times over the last few years. There have been some HUGE meteorites found in that strewn field. And a small portion of that strewn field is indeed in the malpais but not in the vicinity of Bandera.

In general, meteorites are not found associated with large craters. Irons may leave some findable material behind but the majority of objects that are large enough to leave a crater generally detonate above the surface and leave very little behind except dust.

The area around the ice caves would be some of the least likely ground in the state to find a meteorite. It is the most recent geology, it is black as coal so any meteorite would be very difficult to see, and you would be prohibited from searching anyhwere within El Malpais park by law.

On the other hand where you live is right in the middle of "meteorite alley" where more individual mets have ben found than almost anywhere. The geology is ancient and there are many falls and finds. And the land is all private or state trust and it is a cinch to get permission almost anywhere.

The ice caves are cool. The ice is turquoise color and the caves are neat. You can take a short hike up the volcano to the rim of the crater and view the whole volcano and much of the malpais. The whole area is restricted to the trails and walkways. Outside of the El Malpais/Bandera Park area the malpais are open to exploration but be sure to take your best gear and be prepared to get lost. It is a tough place and a whole lot of people have had a bad experience there.

They dont call it "El Malpais" for nothing!

Good luck!

Sundowner said: "I was thinking if they can do this from space (like 200 miles up) then we dummies on the ground should be able to come up with something which can fit into a RC aircraft (remote control) and survey local areas for small impact craters. I realize this sounds a bit crazy but considering the small size of sensors these days it is a possibility."

Actually Sundowner, lidar is not space-based. It's a laser technology used by the timber industry to map tree harvest areas. They take images from a small plane or helicopter. By manipulatring the image to remove the trees, the crater appears. The pics shown by DolanDave are of a crater relatively recently found in Canada just that way. The Meteorite Men did a show on it last season.