Nugget Shooter Forums

Little Geological ID help?

I was out yesterday looking at a new area and came upon a formation I have not see before... The area is of primarily Granite bedrock, with intrusive dikes of Pegmatite and other minerals I can't ID, but this was interesting as heck. In the following photos you will see an area of what appears to be an intrusion into the Granite actually breaking it up with decomposed copper minerals within it showing very blue/green. Interesting stuff as I mentioned and the Old Timers worked this to some extent and one of the clubs I am in has a new claim here...

So anyone have any input on what is going on here geologically?

IMG_20101111_105936.jpg

IMG_20101111_105930.jpg

IMG_20101111_105847.jpg

IMG_20101111_105836.jpg

The intrusive or altered material seems to hold most of the copper (?) minerals.

Looks like it might be decomposing rhyolite Bill. A small intrusion like that could easily act as a "sponge" for the free metals. I'd be taking a look at the boundary rock for signs of extreme mineralization (veins and vugs). If it is rhyolite I'd expect it to be pretty tough material as you get beyond the crust.

Clay

MinerDiggins

Looks like it might be decomposing rhyolite Bill. A small intrusion like that could easily act as a "sponge" for the free metals. I'd be taking a look at the boundary rock for signs of extreme mineralization (veins and vugs). If it is rhyolite I'd expect it to be pretty tough material as you get beyond the crust.

Clay

MinerDiggins

Thanks Clay and just up the road a few miles there are several gold mines in what appear to be Rhyolite intrusions and I have found some nice nuggets in those areas. This area is very similar, but different enough I was a bit confused.