Nugget Shooter Forums

I went out yesterday nugget shooting near Wickenburg, AZ and found this penny in the desert. Right away I could tell the size was wrong and at first figured it was a play money coin, hammered flat or placed on RR tracks. But after looking closely the images on coin are stretched uniformly with the coin??????????

How the heck did this get done? Or?

Just very odd to find something like this...

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

So I address you panel, WTF?

Hey Bill thats a inflation penny-:inocent: --its for people who really want to stretch their pennys :yuk-yuk: Mike C...:ph34r2:

Well Bill,

I was not going to say anything about the silver dollar I found until I saw your penny! I think El Dorado is right!

Anyway some thing is going on around Wickenberg.

Here's mine:

post-7251-057212600 1289655835_thumb.jpg

The last year, large cents were made was 1857..... This is way to new to be one of those.

I think you may have found a coin used by a magician to perform a coin trick. A cube with a penny size slot through its center was used with

the coin. The magician would show the date of the slightly oversize coin then drop it into the cube. The cube would capture the oversize penny

and release a real one. When the cube was lifted from the table, out would come a penny whose date had been magically changed. I have seen

hollow slightly oversize pennies that could hold a dime inside them. Even magnetic pennies. My guess is you have found a "trick" coin.

Lone Lobo

I like the "really big cent" ideal better but actually your all wrong...your to

young to have seen these things Billy...you were still crappin in a rag when this

coin was deformed by a hand cranked machine...some of the traveling circuses used

them...put a penny in one slot and the operator would turn the crank and after many

turns out the other side would come the penny mashed into a oval shape with the

Lords Prayer embossed in the metal....I carried one on my key chain for about 25

years until the hole wore through....now and then a penny would get caught in the

machine and the operator would have to "back it out" and then since it was only a

penny they would just throw it on the ground and use one of their own for the

customer.

BTW...my dad told me about these things ;) ...even showed me a picture he took with his

Brownie camerapost-300-036236100 1289732724_thumb.jpg

Well Bill,

I was not going to say anything about the silver dollar I found until I saw your penny! I think El Dorado is right!

Anyway some thing is going on around Wickenberg.

Here's mine:

G. what does the reverse side of that "coin" look like?

Bill, could be a movie prop. I've seen some of the bigger ones, look just like real money, but twice as big, they show up on film better. Ask Flak, he was in the film bussiness. I'll bet he knows. Grubstake

They made some movies, like HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS, and a friend of mine was a grip, he had some penneies that were the size of dinner plates, and also had some from other movies that were twice the size of regular coins, no only pennies, but nickles, dimes, quarters, and even some very large dollar bills. . He said they show up better in the movies when they are a little bigger. Now I don't know if that what you have, you could have a penny struck on a nickle plachet/ Grubstake

I did a quick search, there are a few of them out there,I used (slightly larger penny 1984} if one had time i,am sure after a few pages you would get your answer.

1984 Wierd Penny

I found a 1984 Lincoln penny that would not fit in a paper penny roll. The coin is the same height but is larger by about 1.5 cm. than a 1984 penny. The finish appears to be steel and has no copper color there is also a black patina that I tried to remove with dishwashing soap and my fingers. There is no mint mark. Everything about the penny is larger, Lincolns head is larger as is all the printing. If anyone can tell me if this is joke or a real coin thanks in advance. /jmc

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/showthread.php?t=28569&pagenumber=#ixzz15eD7ZJFj

Looks like coinage from a parallel universe similar to our own, apparently in 1984 there must have been a wormhole somewhere out there in the mystical AZ desert. Bill must have stumbled upon a relic brought over from that alternate universe. A keeper for sure, sure you weren't around the Superstitions Mountains?! Or aliens, as someone said, that would explain it too. :blink: :zapped:

If you can find a scrap metal company with one of those metal alloy positive ID analyzer guns, it would be interesting to see if it comes up as being exactly the same as a regular penny.

• 1 month later...