Nugget Shooter Forums

New Nugget Hunter Older Detectors

SPBLAZER

First let me say I've been reading the board and looking at all the awesome nuggets and can't wait to start hunting. Unfortunatly I won't be able to start until I retire next spring and move to Surprise AZ. I have two metal detectors currently, a Whites DFX and an old Technetics Hawk. I know these are are not the ideal nugget hunters but they have been great coin shooters. Does anyone here use a DFX for nugget hunting? Should I not waste my time with these and just buy a new unit? Whats a real good middle of the road (price wise)detector to have in AZ. Thanks

Hello SPBLAZER! Here is my :twocents: - VLF) You have two real choices 1) Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq 2) Fisher Goldbug II These two detectors WILL find gold for around $700.00 new. The next step up is a used PI detector, and in my never humble opinion only a Minelab will do. Good luck, and welcome! - Terry

I feel the Minelab Eureka Gold is a better choice VLF wise having adjustable kHz settings for different applications, also there is the Minelab X-Terra 705....

I have tested these detectors against Tesoro, Whites, and Fisher VLFs and am basing my opinion on these tests...

So which detector in the $600 - $1500 new or used is going to be the best at ground balancing. I have been checking Ebay for a used Minelab, I see some used SD2100's on there are they pretty good? What other used Minelab models are good and what should I watch out for if I buy used. Thanks in advance

Guest Gripper

I have a Minelab SD2100 and I believe it a great detector for the money. It is the super old army green edition. I have found gold (nice stuff) with it but most of the time tons of trash that my buddy misses with his eureka gold (maybe because he uses iron discrimination which I don't have or even care to use). Can't say I have run anything else other than my Minelab XT18000, which I don't waste my time with anymore. If you are in an area with hot rocks, get a PI. I know little except that my 2100 finds gold. Lots of luck out there.

Brian

You can't beat the sd2100 with a set of Black Widow headphones and a Doc's gold screamer signal enhancer...All together will run you about $1,300 - $1,500 but it will pay for itself soon if you put the boots to the ground ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-097201300 1290059056_thumb.jpg