Nugget Shooter Forums

indications gold is in the area

Gold_Striker

confused0082[1].gifI been out three times and nothing so far. I am not sure if you have read it yet, but Bill has this great story about the old man he met on the side of the road who led Him to this great spot where He found gold. During the story He says that as they went on, He looked around and could see things were looking good for gold to be there.

Now I am finding out that geology is not so simple and there are so many different forms and combinations rocks come in.

Can you give me an idea of what sort of visual indicators would tell me I am in the right area?

Also...

I see places where I might find gold near black hawk central city in Colorado. There is a state park just north and you cannot take minerals from there and the gold bearing area has abandoned mines but has residents. I feel unsure about going on what might be other peoples property and the plat maps do not seem to always be available or decipherable. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gold_Striker

Site: Goldminingequipment

Heres the GeoCommunicator link (BLM site) that will tell you where claims are active and possibly lead you to an area where there is no active claim.Generally,you want to get into an area where gold has been already found.Not always easy,especially nowdays.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=MC

Hi Gold_Striker

You may as well give up on Central City/Black Hawk. Most of those mines are patiented, and the ones that are not, have many claims filed on them. They all have been over filed so many times it will be 50 years before they get settled out. There are a bumch of old Geezers that have tied up all the placer areas because a long lost cousine, uncle or brothers sister-in-laws uncle worked one of the 50x100 ft claims back in the day. It is a legal mess, I can tell you. Plus the area has been worked and reworked so many times by the old miners, and the Chinese. I don't think there is a single sqaure inch of gound that has not been worked many times. I know they didn't find it all but what is left is micro stuff. I think all the mine dumps have been leached a least once. I grew up in the area and know every inch of that ground from Ward to Idaho Springs I'm 62 now.

I don't know what kind of prospecting you want to do, but you may think about heading up to Cashe Creek Park. There is tons of gold there but it is fine and over a weekend you can get a dwt of dust, if you work hard. All you need is a sluice and a pan for cleanup. Not a lot of equipment. It's Winter up there now and cold, but it's public. I have hunted the Fairplay Dredge piles and found a few bits in the clay balls, but it is tuff hunting them lots of big round cobbles. Dangerous, ankle brakers. All my patches are above the snowline now untill next June so I'm headed to AZ for a few months soon. I use an MXT, GB2, Whites TDI and GPX 4000, and have found gold here in Colorado with all of them. It's not easy but if it were, every body would be finding it.

Good Luck

CH

Hi Gold_Striker

You may as well give up on Central City/Black Hawk. Most of those mines are patiented, and the ones that are not, have many claims filed on them. They all have been over filed so many times it will be 50 years before they get settled out. There are a bumch of old Geezers that have tied up all the placer areas because a long lost cousine, uncle or brothers sister-in-laws uncle worked one of the 50x100 ft claims back in the day. It is a legal mess, I can tell you. Plus the area has been worked and reworked so many times by the old miners, and the Chinese. I don't think there is a single sqaure inch of gound that has not been worked many times. I know they didn't find it all but what is left is micro stuff. I think all the mine dumps have been leached a least once. I grew up in the area and know every inch of that ground from Ward to Idaho Springs I'm 62 now.

I don't know what kind of prospecting you want to do, but you may think about heading up to Cashe Creek Park. There is tons of gold there but it is fine and over a weekend you can get a dwt of dust, if you work hard. All you need is a sluice and a pan for cleanup. Not a lot of equipment. It's Winter up there now and cold, but it's public. I have hunted the Fairplay Dredge piles and found a few bits in the clay balls, but it is tuff hunting them lots of big round cobbles. Dangerous, ankle brakers. All my patches are above the snowline now untill next June so I'm headed to AZ for a few months soon. I use an MXT, GB2, Whites TDI and GPX 4000, and have found gold here in Colorado with all of them. It's not easy but if it were, every body would be finding it.

Good Luck

CH

confused0083[1].gifI sure appreciate that info. I am glad I don't have to waste my time there.

I am thinking perhaps I will at least take a couple field trips up there and look at the old sites so I can get a feel for what I might be looking for.miner[1].gif That way I might have a good idea when I find a new location with similar characteristics in common.

Hi Gold-Striker,

You might check into some of the clubs in Denver or maybe the one in Colorado Springs. I suspect the clubs in Denver are a little more active and can probably point out some areas where one might hunt. The club in the Springs does have a couple of claims but most of the gold found on them is really quite small. At least, it would be a place to start.

Regardless, it is tough to find a place to hunt that isn't under claim or isn't patented here in Colorado. There is gold to be found, but most of it is really quite small.

Good luck.

Reg

Colorado based GoldDredger.com has many local folks,outings and such in the hills especially since my bud Leonard retired and non stop mining fun ever since--not that work ever stopped him though-John :thumbsupanim