Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MinerMax

"Alpha Site" Meteorite

Well, I was watching the show "Meteorite Men" on Discovery Channel... and they were at this so called top secret "Alpha Site" in Kansas, where the specimens actually have gem grade crystals inside. I don't really like people keeping things "secretive", in my opinion meteorites are an amazing scientific discovery that deserve to be displayed and studied in the public domain. The fact that there is a pretty much undocumented meteorite laying out in a remote farm field rusting away makes me kind of sad. So I have done some research and found some VERY PROBABLE locations of where this meteorite is.

To begin with I reviewed footage of the show looking for anything that could give the general location up, thats when I saw that they were eating at a "Annie Mae's Cafe" for breakfast. A simple Google search found that Annie Mae's is located in Eskridge, Kansas; don't believe me, look at this street view image, it's the same as in the show. Using that city as a reference point I was able to continue the search for "Alpha Site", after stumbling upon a document (circa 1950) from The Earth Science Institute and Midwest Federation of Mineralogical Societies I found out about the nearby "Miller Site". You can read about Miller on the TMS pagelink. I however don't think that is the actual meteorite they have been digging up.

The actual meteorite with 95% surety is the "Admire Meteorite", not only is the meteorite within 10 miles of Eskridge, but the pictures of it show a high quality crystal grade! See for yourself!

They also found a lot of artifacts that they said came from I think they said the Santa Fe Trail, it might be another trail... I cant remember... but also look that up, Im sure it would not be to hard to find, or track down, they did have a lot of clues in the show.

Dave

Those two are not stupid...I doubt they would unintentionally give such clear leads...regardless...they are hunting private property, with permission and what they do with their finds is their own business...Nininger hunted many kansas sites but these two were the first to use modern methods to find the biggest and the mostest...

good for them

fred

Granted you can edit video anyway you like but non-the-less I still believe this research shows some great talent....

sundownr

The actual meteorite with 95% surety is the "Admire Meteorite", not only is the meteorite within 10 miles of Eskridge, but the pictures of it show a high quality crystal grade! See for yourself!

the story in the local newspaper kind of gave it away too.

Here's a piece I found 8-14 this year

Great looking meteorite :thumbsupanim way to go...

sundownr

Great looking meteorite :thumbsupanim way to go...

sundownr

I'm very happy about the piece I found, I have been retired now a little over 1 year, and I have been on several meteorite hunts, I couldn't be happier.

I'm looking to go on a hunt next week, I'm always looking to go with someone who has lots of free time on their hands, of course you must like to dig:)

post-22143-002236400 1289092302_thumb.jp

I'm very happy about the piece I found, I have been retired now a little over 1 year, and I have been on several meteorite hunts, I couldn't be happier.

I'm looking to go on a hunt next week, I'm always looking to go with someone who has lots of free time on their hands, of course you must like to dig:)

Let me know if you ever get to Southeast New Mexico. I have a rig like yours (ATV) and I pull a coil attached to a PI detector. I also have a good RV camping rig and can stay out a week or more without refilling the refrigerator.

As for digging... I am developing a GPS system to log targets. This way I can evaluate a bunch of targets first then hire somebody to dig. I am too dang old to be swinging a pick and shovel.

Even though I am a newbee on this forum I welcome you and look forward to many interesting conversations.

Please note this forum is still mourning the recent death of a popular member, Dean NM, who was a deputy sheriff in Albuquerque, NM.

Good luck on your hunt and please let us all know what you find with that first class rig you have.

sundownr

Here's a piece I found of the Admire Meteorite this year.

http://www.meteorman.org/Admire-839g.htm

That is an awesome specimen :thumbsupanim , I'm not a meteorite hunter "yet", mostly because of them not being found in my area, but if they were man I'd be on em!!

I have never seen a meteorite that had gen crystals in them like that, I and my wife(she now wants some jewelry made from crystals like these :tisk-tisk: )are very curious, do you know what type of gem crystals these are, they sorta look like emeralds???

Skip

That is an awesome specimen :thumbsupanim , I and my wife(she now wants some jewelry made from crystals like these :tisk-tisk: )are very curious, do you know what type of gem crystals these are, they sorta look like emeralds???

Skip

Those green crystals are peridot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peridot

Steve

That is an awesome specimen :thumbsupanim , I'm not a meteorite hunter "yet", mostly because of them not being found in my area, but if they were man I'd be on em!!

I have never seen a meteorite that had gen crystals in them like that, I and my wife(she now wants some jewelry made from crystals like these :tisk-tisk: )are very curious, do you know what type of gem crystals these are, they sorta look like emeralds???

Skip

Peridot is also often referred to as "poor man's emerald" source www.wordiq.com/definition/Peridot

Skip

Hi Skip,

I wrote something here for your wife to read:)

A genuine and authentic gem from outer space is cool, the crystals are unique and are many times more rare than any of the gems found on Earth. It's from outer space, one can only imagine where it has traveled in space and where it came from.

To hold in your hand a piece of the solar system, a rock from space older than the earth itself, this is whats so intriguing about these crystals. Tumbling through space from places unknown, these stones survived a violent passage through the atmosphere to crash land on Earth. For many millions, even billions of years they have been floating in space in total darkness, at zero gravity conditions, and at extremely cold temperatures and now after all that, it has come to rest on a chain around your neck.

These gem candy pieces from outer space are rare !!!!!!!!

Here's a piece I found of the Admire Meteorite this year.

http://www.meteorman.org/Admire-839g.htm

Speaking of pallisites, whatever happened to that large,record breaking Brenham that was found by the Meteorite Men a few years ago in Kansas. Anyone know? It was in the news for awhile then it seems like it disappeared off the face of the earth. Did they ever sell it or is it in storage someplace still looking for the right buyer..

Steve

Hi Skip,

I wrote something here for your wife to read:)

A genuine and authentic gem from outer space is cool, the crystals are unique and are many times more rare than any of the gems found on Earth. It's from outer space, one can only imagine where it has traveled in space and where it came from.

To hold in your hand a piece of the solar system, a rock from space older than the earth itself, this is whats so intriguing about these crystals. Tumbling through space from places unknown, these stones survived a violent passage through the atmosphere to crash land on Earth. For many millions, even billions of years they have been floating in space in total darkness, at zero gravity conditions, and at extremely cold temperatures and now after all that, it has come to rest on a chain around your neck.

These gem candy pieces from outer space are rare !!!!!!!!

Thanks distimpson for the ID on the Peridot!!

Metorite Hunter,

My wife says thanks for the note!

She also asks that since these "Out of this World gems are so rare" and she most likely will never get a chance to find/buy one, would you PLEASE pluck one of them out of your specimen and sent it to her?? :whaaaa: :whaaaa:

I look at her like she is crazy :zapped: , but she stood right beside me until I posted her question!!! :inocent: :shrug:

Skip

Speaking of pallisites, whatever happened to that large,record breaking Brenham that was found by the Meteorite Men a few years ago in Kansas. Anyone know? It was in the news for awhile then it seems like it disappeared off the face of the earth. Did they ever sell it or is it in storage someplace still looking for the right buyer..

Steve

Say Steve, This could be totally wrong, but I remember a news bit, that said the the big Brenham went up for auction a while ago, but the seller(s) stopped taking bids at $300,000, presumably because it wasn't above his/their reserve. (dang economy) I believe that it was expected to fech $1,000,000 to $1,500,000. However, this is stuf is completely unconfirmed that just rattled out of my head. Clifton

Thanks distimpson for the ID on the Peridot!!

Metorite Hunter,

My wife says thanks for the note!

She also asks that since these "Out of this World gems are so rare" and she most likely will never get a chance to find/buy one, would you PLEASE pluck one of them out of your specimen and sent it to her?? :whaaaa: :whaaaa:

I look at her like she is crazy :zapped: , but she stood right beside me until I posted her question!!! :inocent: :shrug:

Skip

The Admire meteorite is a big time ruster, if I don't find a way to stop the rust the crystals will start popping out of it very soon. This would be her chance for you to open up your wallet and buy one:)

M_H...if you don't know the Metorite magazine had some article on stabilizing the rust-ers...I think the gentleman's last name is mason- no relation that I know of...

good luck!

fred

M_H...if you don't know the Metorite magazine had some article on stabilizing the rust-ers...I think the gentleman's last name is mason- no relation that I know of...

good luck!

fred

Thanks Fred, I think I may have found a way to stop the rust, only time will tell

Those Admire specimens are fascinating, and have brilliant crystals. It would be a shame if some weren't preserved for generations to come.

The Admire meteorite is a big time ruster, if I don't find a way to stop the rust the crystals will start popping out of it very soon. This would be her chance for you to open up your wallet and buy one:)

If the stabilizer doesn't stop the rusting and the crystals start falling out, send me a PM and if I have any money in my wallet at that time I would be interested, if it doesn't hurt too bad. :yuk-yuk:

Thanks,

Skip

I wish I had a pallasite nearby, but none have been discovered anywhere around here. My closest meteorite strewn field is only about 10 miles away, but it is extremely picked over.