Nugget Shooter Forums

Been thinking

SGTFDA

I know, look out when he starts thinking. Ismael Jones was able to break the 1.0 Mhz down to .9 Mhz with his new VCO mod. .9 Mhz with a big 25" coil will find deep big stuff. I was thinking of hitting tailing piles in area's where nice size gold was found in the past with the 2000 with that VCO mod. I know I'll be digging some big trash but one large hunk would make the effort worth while. This is where my detector shines and I may as well put it to good use. Any opinion.

Bill you put that thought into my head when you told the story of that big chunk falling out the edge of a tailing pile. Perhaps you will lend me those shoes. :inocent:

Guest goldstudmuffin

I understand that your after the BIG ones and I know your set up on the SD 2000 is very senitive but in my opinion your better off hunting tailing piles or mine dumps with a vlf detector. The vlf is more likely to find specimen type gold and smaller nuggets over the SD. Take that modded 2000 with the 25 inch coil and hunt some medium to large washes that drain some placer areas... and get a bigger pick! :head: The SD will do far better on large pounded up nuggets than specimen type gold. I do have a 7.5 ounce specimen I found in a wash @ 18" deep with my minelab, the specific gravity tested just over 1 ounce. Good Luck Sarge!

You see Russ this is what happens when a treasure hunter starts looking for nuggets. Still thinking like a Thunter. My thought was the vlf units are limited because they don't have the LARGE coils for them. In the past I would use a vlf unit to help locate a site then use the big coils to spot deep targets. This worked for me back east. I don't broadcast some things I found as there are those from back east following my posts and the emails and calls are distracting. I gave away some sites when I moved and it caused some issues. But that was then and this is now. This is your area and I respect your opinion on these issues. That's why I asked. It saves time and effort trying things. Unlike Thunting where you search exact spots nuggetshooting is to some extent more random in a gold area. That is a big change for me. Just workin things out in my brain.

Guest goldstudmuffin

I hunt drywash piles with my minelab, but I prefer a vlf if hunting in hardrock mine tailings and mine dumps... If I find any gold I rake down the tailings a little at a time while using a vlf detector and have done well on some old mine dumps and tailings, so it doesn't need to be a large coil if you rake it down.

Just can't help myself...gotta get in the middle of this fuss...both of you are right in

your thinking but like SGT says he's going after the big stuff in tailings(dredge?) and

studmuffin your right when looking for the little and specie stuff...but since SGT already

has the "big gun" detector I totally agree with him for the purpose he's thinking about...

like here when I was using a standard SD2000, Coiltek 18"Rd. mono on a slave tailings that

were about 10 feet deep with medium to basket ball sized rocks...

post-300-005866700 1288867178_thumb.jpg

he was down about three feet in the tails and the signal was pretty strong...especially for

a standard SD2000...here it is cleaned uppost-300-077760700 1288867336_thumb.jpgall 436 gr.

a little later still using my SD2000 went just above the tails with a Coiltek Joey and

cleaned house on several small pieces...so my thinking is the Minelab PI with the right

coil will do most of what the VLF will do plus more.

Guest goldstudmuffin

Nice gold garimpo... :thumbsupanim

Frank, give it a try... One of the problems with using a 25 inch coil when hunting steep slopes is the detector can be very unstable when the coil is tilted on steep angles like you find on tailing piles. Also digging a 30" wide hole in a tailing pile would be a big problem with the loose material falling into your hole.

Frank, when we can I'll take you to a area where several large nuggets were found in a deep wash. You may be getting a little more depth with you modded 2000 and the 25" coil, we'll see....

Russ the 25" coil is a giant antenna. As you said lift it off the ground at a angle and look out. No big holes for me at least in dirt. I dig a hole not as wide and use my special pinpointer. My Troy Shadow can be converted into a super pinpointer.

Don those undies have a gold stain in them. I always suspected that's where all the loot went. Right up into the money pit. So all you newbies pay attention to Don and keep your gold away from the money pit!

post-384-034699500 1288982775_thumb.jpg