Nugget Shooter Forums

I'm looking at a Gold Bug available from Cabella's.

Would this be a good unit for just starting out at detecting? :unsure:

I'd appreciate any pointers. :wubu:

Unless you can find a used Gold Bug II the price of the new GB cannot be beat. I got to use one briefly and the digital button for ground balance is very nice. The new one operates on a higher frequency than the GBII but should still be very sensitive for small gold! Opinions of old vs new seem to still be up in the air. One thing for sure they are all easy to learn. Bought a GBII for Mrs. Eldorado and she found a nugget within 10 minutes of her first ever experience using a detector!

I've already been stormed out of my claim for the winter.

I would like to use a detector next spring for going over my tailings piles and

checking out some gravel pockets in the stream. I was told that the GB is good for use in 8" or less of water. Yes?

I can get a good price on the GB since my wife can get employee pricing at Cabelas.

All of the Gold Bug's coils and wires are waterproof, just make sure while and after using in the water that you don't lift the coil higher than the control box as water could run inside the shaft and possibly get inside to the circuits, give enough time for the water to drain and evaporate before laying it down or storing it in a vertical position.

Skip

As of now Fisher doesn't listed any accessory coils for the New Gold Bugs on their website, but does say "coming soon" under this category, I would suggest that you call them and see if they have any at this time or if they're still being developed.

Skip

First I should mention that I haven't used any of the versions of the new Gold Bug, but I have read any reviews/reports that I have come across, that being said, I did a little more research and the 5" coil that comes standard on the new Gold Bug is a DD coil, and in the manual it does state that you can get an optional 11" DD coil, even though I can't find this coil on their website other than the mentioning of this in the manual, the 11" coil is recommended for use when coin and relic hunting.

I'm sure that Fisher will have accessory coils for the New Gold Bugs sooner than later being that they now have 3 versions/updated of the New Gold i.e. the Cabelas' version, the SE version and the Pro version and may have some already even though they don't have them listed on their website yet, a call would be in order to find out for sure. (In the manual is is mentioned that for information on the 11" DD coil to call 800-685-5050) Just a note that the new "Gold Bug" is all they have listed on their website, no mention of 3 different versions, even though they do list a manual for the new Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro, but not the SE, also I have read a couple of reviews from private users that stated that that was no difference in the SE and the Pro, I'm not sure if that is the case or just their personal opinion, even though one of the reviews stated that this was from "inside" info from Fisher, but there is a software upgrade/update that makes the SE and the Pro much better than the Gold Bug sold by Cabelas, but the price of the Pro reflects this better performance.

New Gold Bug manual.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/GBug(reader).pdf

Gold Bug Pro manual.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/GBUGPro(reader).pdf

(I compared both the Gold Bug and Gold Bug Pro manuals side by side and other than the word "Pro" being added and the photographs of the detectors on the first page there is no difference in the 2 manuals, even the illustrations are the same with the word "Pro" missing on the display in the Pro manual.)

Now as far as White's gold detectors, if you decide to go this direction, the GMZ is a simplified "Entry Level" version of the GMT and the same price point of the new Gold Bug (Cabelas' version $499), it uses all of the GMT line of coils, White offers 3 different coils, all of them are DD coils, but there are aftermarket coils available as well. (You maybe able to find the GMZ for less than the MSRP at some dealers.)

I have not used the GMZ, nor read any reviews, but I would think it would work as well like it's big brother the GMT, which has great reviews, all White detectors have waterproof coils and coilwires.

The White's GMZ operating at 50 kHz should hit on much smaller gold than the New Gold Bug which operates at 19 kHz, but as to which can handle ground conditions better I cannot comment without the field experience which I don't have with either of these detectors.

From personal experience Whites has great customer support and service, I haven't heard of any complaints of Fisher customer service and service, the only experience I have had is with request of getting a manual emailed to me for a older Fisher detector I own, which was responded to quickly, so you shouldn't have any problems with this in making your decision.

GMZ manual.

http://media.whiteselectronics.com/manuals/GMZ%20Manuals/gmz_manual.pdf

I would suggest before you buy that you read both the Gold Bug manual, and the GMZ manual (which is only a few pages, which speaks on how simple it is to operate.) which may help with your decision.

Skip

I've used nothing but a Gold Bug 2, and have never been skunked so far. Of course you need a fairly decent claim in order to do that, but having a sensitive detector is the other half of the equation, and the GB2 does a great job of that. Easy to learn, simple to operate, able to pick out smaller pieces of gold some the size of half a piece of rice.

If been very happy with mine and would certainly get another one.

Paul

I've used nothing but a Gold Bug 2, and have never been skunked so far. Of course you need a fairly decent claim in order to do that, but having a sensitive detector is the other half of the equation, and the GB2 does a great job of that. Easy to learn, simple to operate, able to pick out smaller pieces of gold some the size of half a piece of rice.

If been very happy with mine and would certainly get another one.

Paul

You're absolutely correct that it's easy to use. I've got 2 GB 2's, and a Minelab SD2200V2. While the Minelab goes deep (I've gone almost a foot), it's much more difficult to ground balance - much more. With my GB, and the 6" coil, I'm ready to go at least 4 times faster, if not faster, than what it takes with my Minelab. Like Paul said, you have to be in an area that has gold, first. Here in Colorado, tailings are about the only thing that's decent for the GB. I have to knock the pile down to about 2", rake it with a magnetic rake to try to get the trash out, then go at it. Very sensitive, and get the tiniest piece of gold. However, I've also got the tiniest piece of trash.

h20prospector

• 1 month later...

Well, the wife brought the Gold Bug home yesterday.

I found out that the 5" coil is a "DD".

The 11" coil is also "DD" and is available.

Couldn't find anything in the manual about use in water, but I'll

take Skip's word for it, that the coils are waterproof.

The wife and I are gonna start training today.

A handfull of various coins, a washer,

a gold vial, and a vial with some black sand.

I'll just toss 'em out in the yard 'n go find 'em. :brows:

With manual in hand, 'till I figure this thing out. :yuk-yuk:

This ought to get us off to a good start. :hmmmmm:

Here go Steel Pan, please don't take my word :nono: , I would rather you know for yourself that the coil is waterproof in case something happens with your new baby :cry2::whaaaa: ,this is the link to the specifications on the Gold Bug from Fisher's website, look for the "waterproof" proof near the coil in the picture. :spinnin:

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/brochures/GoldBug.pdf

Congratulations on your new detector!! :thumbsupanim

Skip

Yup, it says waterproof. ;)

What have I done? :angry-smiley-010[1]:

Went out and found 37 cents more than I through out in the yard. :whaaaa:

I'm sunk, done for, a lost cause, and beyond hope now. :head:

Steel Pan... Just a quick reply... and sorry about the typos.

I've been using the latest revision... GB-Pro... with the waterproof 5-inch ("4.7-inch sniper") circular DD... The accessory open frame elliptical is 11-inches and also waterproof. i got both coils.

The earlier revision is the GB-SE (special edition) and the Cabellas were the first and may be known as the GB-3... They are all 19 kHz... pole mount only... and are hot on low conductors (gold) but are no slouch on higher conductors either

Nothing is wrong with your Cabellas edition... :) Just earlier with some minor later updates... which are okay...You got a good deal as far as $$$...

They are all 19 kHz... pole mount only...

Skip... you are in south carolina... Your above posts really great... you are certainly in the know... Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the compliment, I'm flattered coming from such a knowledgeable person and nugget shooter. :wubu: :wubu:

I live in the southeastern part of South Carolina and at least 5 to 6 hours drive to any gold and I work long hours 5 to 6 days a week, and as such I don't get to go prospecting nearly as often as I would like.

I know that research is one of the most important parts of finding gold and I do hours of research so I can learn more and have a better chance of finding gold when I get to go prospecting and I like to share any knowledge I gain when possible.

I also love metal detecting, where I live relic and beach detecting what I do the most since there is no gold in my area.

Skip

Au Seeker... Skip, thank you. Now a thought; I'm a member of the GPAA... The 2010 claims guide continues to have information on eastern gold,such as the Northern section of South Carolina; but unfortunately, as you live in the

S-E part, you are not near any "yet" known gold areras.

I'm also a long time subscriber of Lost Treasure magazine; I mention this to bring attention to author Andy Sabisch's

article in the November issue of LT: "East Coast Gold Prospecting... How & Where To Find It"... Andy mentions a great use for a metal detector is to seek concentrations of black sand for further work... This could be a thought anywhere that magnetic black sand is concentrated.

I cetainly wish you the best of luck while seeking gold in the "East." Jim...

I can get a good price on the GB since my wife can get employee pricing at Cabelas.

Steel Pan,

Your wife works for Cabella's? I couldnt help but comment. If I had to make a choice I would rather have a wife that works for Cabella's than a wife that cooks and cleans!

If she knows any single women that work for Cabella's tell her that I would like to marry any or all of them immediately.

Cabella's is like Victoria's Secret for men. I would buy my groceries at Cabella's if I could. They even replaced a GPS for me that the dog chewed up when the UPS guy left it in the yard. What a great outfit!

I hope you find a whopper with that new GB!

Bob

Steel Pan,

Your wife works for Cabella's? I couldnt help but comment. If I had to make a choice I would rather have a wife that works for Cabella's than a wife that cooks and cleans!

If she knows any single women that work for Cabella's tell her that I would like to marry any or all of them immediately.

Cabella's is like Victoria's Secret for men. I would buy my groceries at Cabella's if I could. They even replaced a GPS for me that the dog chewed up when the UPS guy left it in the yard. What a great outfit!

I hope you find a whopper with that new GB!

Bob

My Wife works at Cabella's, is a great cook, and keeps up with the house too. :rasberry:

She said for you to come on down, there's quite a few to choose from. :brows: :yuk-yuk:

Archived