Nugget Shooter Forums

Dean Miera (Dean N.M.)

It's with great sorrow I report to you all that Dean Miera, or Dean N.M. as you know him here on the forum was tragically killed in a motorvehicle crash this morning in Albuquerque, NM. Dean, a Bernalillo County Sheriff's Deputy was on duty when he died. I am also in Law Enforcement, and these tragic on duty deaths hit hard. It's been a while since I've been on the forum but I thought I'd let everyone know. I know Dean was on here almost daily and loved to share his meteorite hunting stories. I had the pleasure of having a couple beers with him and getting his expertise and knowledge on meteorites. I still have the meteorite he gave me to help practice with my detector. We had planned on hunting Glorieta meteorites together, but as always the work and family schedules tied things up. Here is the link to the news story. Please keep Dean and his family in your prayers.

Robert.

http://www.abqjournal.com/abqnews/abqnewseeker-mainmenu-39/24912-apd-investigating-fatal-crash-in-southeast-abq.html

That sucks to hear. I never met Dean but I had a few PM's with him and I liked his posts about the adventures he had with his grandson. He seemed like a nice respectable guy and will truly be missed. Rest in peace Dean.

Del

Robert,

Thanks for posting this sad news, I didn't know Dean, but I have read many of his posts, you get to know people here a little by what they write even if you haven met them in person, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, may he rest in peace, and his family and friends be comforted in thier time of lost. :(

Skip

Robert,

I cannot believe Dean is gone, we were just talking about an upcoming hunt. Our whole family knows Dean. Erik and I have hunted with Dean and Zaya. My wife has talked with him and his wife two years in a row, at the annual Tucson Show. This is a horrific tragedy. My heart goes out to Lisa and the rest of Dean's family, they'll be in my prayers.

Ben

Dean was a nice guy I never met him, but talked to him on the forum. My condolences go out to him and his family. :cry2:

Aloha all,

Sad news for sure. I had many a PM with him and was always letting him know to keep in touch with me regarding his and Zayas' adventures. He will surely be missed by us all.

I will be in touch as usual with my Sister in Encino and make sure that a Mass is said this coming Sunday. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Dean was a long time and valued friend in the forums...His adventures with Zaya are classic ... He will be sorely missed and his service as an officer will always be honored and appreciated...Solemnly, Uncle Ron

Dean will be missed and was a part of our family here on the forum. I had the pleasure of corresponding with Dean and would click first on his posts. I hope someone close to home will tuck Zaya under their wing and keep him on the hunt. My condolences to Dean’s family.

Wayne

It was all over TV News this morning. In New Mexico.

They seem to dwell on how he was a family man as we all know to be so true.

Do you think it would be Appropriate to send them a Link to this site showing how he Mentored Zaya on the hunts?

I feel it would be good but something tells me leave it alone.

It may bring some Funds into the Family but I don't want to look like we are Capitalizing on the Event.

KOBTV: http://www.kob.com/index.shtml

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showuser=14020

This was a Good Post! : http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=18295&st=0&p=141005entry141005

You all know, it's like we were just talking to him yesterday, through the posts. I never met him or even talked to him on the phone, but in this age of computers, I knew him well enough to say that I liked him and he is/was a great guy. The only way is to tell Zaya that he was called to a greater duty, if that helps; otherwise, as has been said, this is just really messed up. There are shooting stars in the Heavens, and shooting stars on Earth, this shooting Star pierces the Heart.

Good Hunting Dean! ... Clifton

I never met Dean, but did chat a few times via the forum and just found out today while at the Nugget Shooter outing about his passing. My prayers go out to his family and Zaya (AKA Z-Man). I know they had many fine adventures and he will be surely missed by all. May his hunt be eternal, and his finds be plentiful. Jason

Here's the official obituary from the news paper:

MIERA -- Dean Francis Miera, Sr., 48, Deputy BCSO passed away October 29, 2010. He is survived by his wife, Lisa Miera of 30 years, and their four children, Christina Lanham, Celina Miera and fiance Chris Colon, Dean Miera Jr. and wife Tamara, Cynthia Miera and fiance Andres Lopez; five grandchildren, Alannah and Isaiah Lanham, Ellia and Daimin Colon, and Elijah Miera; parents, Phil and Clara Miera; sister, Elaine Miera Herrera and husband Jess; brother, Mika Miera and wife Melissa; his father-in-law and mother-in-law, George and Pauline Griego; sisters- in-law, Leslie Griego, Georgia Howell, Pauline Griego Trujillo; brothers-in-law, George Jr., Randy Griego; nieces and nephews, Janel, Clarissa, Sean, Joshua, Jessica, Anthony Jr., Sage, Kanoa, Indy, Tegan, Herman, Sofia, Anthony, Renee, Benjamin, Lori Lynn, Serena, Andrew, Nicholas; numerous extended family members that include personal friends, co-workers, brothers and sisters who "Protect and Serve". Deputy Dean F. Miera was preceded in death by his maternal and paternal grandparents; sister-in-law, Lori Gallegos; and granddaughter, Isabella Denae Miera. Deputy Dean F. Miera was born June 6, 1962 in Albuquerque, NM to Phil Miera and Clara (Montoya) Miera. Dean proudly served Bernalillo County Sheriffs Department for over nine years. He was dedicated to his work, and carried his dream out with dignity, strength and virtue. He was known for being heroic during Hurricane Katrina and other life saving events. Dean loved nature; he especially loved the mountains and the outdoors. He enjoyed various hobbies, but his greatest love was for his family. He respected and cared deeply for his law enforcement family. Dean was a very religious man. This part of his life was reflected in the way he lived and conducted himself in his personal affairs and in his work ethic. Dean, be at peace with the Lord, we all love you. A Rosary will be recited at 7:00 p.m., Monday, November 1, 2010, Our Lady of Assumption Church, Tennessee at Lomas NE, Albuquerque, NM. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:00 a.m., Tuesday, November 2, 2010, Our Lady of Assumption Church. Interment will follow in the Public Servants Garden at Vista Verde Memorial Park, 4310 Sara Road SE and Meadowlark Lane, Rio Rancho, NM. Those who wish to express condolences may do so at www.danielsfuneral.com. Deputy Miera's Arrangements are entrusted to: Daniels Family Funeral Services 4310 Sara Road SE Rio Rancho, New Mexico 87124 505-892-9920

Please take a moment for a prayer,

Ben

I just got back from a deer hunt and heard the news. What a tragedy. Dean was a great man and an even better father and grandfather. We hunted Glorieta and Holbrook many times and were always planing a new hunt. This guy was as tenacious as they come and hunted like a machine. He had deep roots in northern New Mexico and knew many secrets. He was the only man I knew that could talk as long as I could about mountains, rocks, hunting and adventure.

Dean found the Glorieta strewn field with no help from anyone. He took the widely available information, put the pieces together, and then took his detector out and pounded the ground until he found iron. It took him many, many months. I found it the same way at the same time and that is how I met Dean. I have always had the greatest admiration and respect for him becasue I know exactly how hard he worked and how much effort he put into the hunt to achieve his goals. There is absolutely nothing that could stop him once he made up his mind.

I just spoke to him a few days ago. All about the recent fireball over Santa Fe and how he was tracking it right to an area that he knew very well.

Dammit Dean! I am going to miss you man!

Vaya con Dios, mi amigo!