Nugget Shooter Forums

Home made poll (Poll Magnets)??

I was looking some rare earth magnets online and found some rectangle shaped magnets that had about 20 pounds of pull. I see the guys on tv and it looks like they have 4 or 5 at the bottom of their poll. If anyone knows a good and cheap place to get them and the how many I need and how much pull I need that would be great.

Aloha,

You will find loads of places on the internet if you just type in rare earth magnets on google. I bought several from a company called KJ magnetics and have had no problems.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

BTW: I use a 2" square with about a 50 lb. pull minimum.

tjkbeachbum,

This is what your're looking for, over 45 lbs. pull, $13.75 each.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0Y04

Be careful when handling these magnets around metal or other magets, they can give you a nasty pinch, if not worst, any greater pull than these 45 lbs. and you can get seriously hurt!!! :whaaaa: :tisk-tisk:

Skip

I was looking some rare earth magnets online and found some rectangle shaped magnets that had about 20 pounds of pull. I see the guys on tv and it looks like they have 4 or 5 at the bottom of their poll. If anyone knows a good and cheap place to get them and the how many I need and how much pull I need that would be great.

Hi tjkbeachbum,

I use and sell a 2" x 1" x .25" magnet with 37 lbs. of pull force. They are the perfect size. shape, and strength to put on your pole/stick. You can order them here for only $7.95 each:

Meteorite Hunting Neodymium Magnets

BY0X04L.jpg

If you need a lightweight adjustable Meteorite Hunting Pole (available in 5 colors), with a 2" x 1" x .25" Neodymium magnet professionally attached, with a built-in flashlight, and FREE NWA meteorite for practicing, you can order them here for only $21.95:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140470911919&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_2025wt_1020

1Pole.jpg

You can also find other cool Meteorite Hunting stuff and share our meteorite hunting adventures at my website (click on store): Find A Meteorite

Happy Hunting,

Dale R.

I've picked up magnets from K&J Magnetics in the past and have been very happy with their service. Here's their website-

K&J Magnetics

I use two magnets, one with 150 lbs of pull and another with 250 lbs of pull. I've even got one with 650 lbs of pull but it scares the crap out of me so I never use it! There's a good reason to use a magnet with higher pulling power- Highly weathered L's and LL meteorites will have a good solid stick to higher power magnets. I've seen some meteorites that barely stuck to a low pull force magnet and have always felt a higer power magnet helps a little better with field identification.

Sooner or later you'll get pinched handling rare earth magnetics and this is just part of this hobby.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought mine on eBay, there are several auctions in progress. Just search eBay for "rare earth magnets".

You'll want to get the N42 or N50 magnets, they are the strongest. they come in several shapes and sizes. I like the cylinders for taping onto a pole, and the flat rectangular ones for sticking onto the pick or rake.

• 1 month later...

I found some 2inch squares but it has 317 pounds pulling force and is like 120 bucks. Is this what I am looking for or is it to much? Please help. Thanks

Way too much...check out ebay and KJMagnetics. They both list all shapes, all sizes, reasonable prices. Be aware of the rating of the magnet: N40, N42, N48, N50. The higher the rating the stronger the pull...and the higher the price!

Way too much...check out ebay and KJMagnetics. They both list all shapes, all sizes, reasonable prices. Be aware of the rating of the magnet: N40, N42, N48, N50. The higher the rating the stronger the pull...and the higher the price!

K & J is THE best! http://www.kjmagnetics.com/default.asp?PARTNER=AZGoldAdventures Terry

This maybe useful to you...

I just received an order from K&J Magnetics. Their service was as expected, good.

However, I just order 1 magnet...and that was a mistake! UPS ground shipping cost as much as the magnet did. So I now have a very pricey 1" x 2" x 3/8" N52 magnet! I have not mounted it on anything yet....I am hoping it will just suck a meteor out of the skyconfused0067[1].gif

Hmmm, let's see....if I aim it like a satellite antenna...:hahaha:

All my current sticks and picks either have a round or rectangular magnet on them and they all work fine. If I remember, they all were N42 magnets.

K&J also has some useful information on their web page. They talk about the quality of their magnets and the different kinds of plating and the thickness of plating. I would suggest reading this. They also have a magnetic calculator that can determine the pull a few inches away.

I am not sure why you would need a extremely strong magnet or multiple magnets verses just 1 magnet. L's maybe???

When you order, also consider ordering more than one size and also order some smaller ones you can carry in your pocket. They really come in handy.

Cheers!

Jim

This maybe useful to you...

I just received an order from K&J Magnetics. Their service was as expected, good.

However, I just order 1 magnet...and that was a mistake! UPS ground shipping cost as much as the magnet did. So I now have a very pricey 1" x 2" x 3/8" N52 magnet! I have not mounted it on anything yet....I am hoping it will just suck a meteor out of the skyconfused0067[1].gif

Hmmm, let's see....if I aim it like a satellite antenna...:hahaha:

All my current sticks and picks either have a round or rectangular magnet on them and they all work fine. If I remember, they all were N42 magnets.

K&J also has some useful information on their web page. They talk about the quality of their magnets and the different kinds of plating and the thickness of plating. I would suggest reading this. They also have a magnetic calculator that can determine the pull a few inches away.

I am not sure why you would need a extremely strong magnet or multiple magnets verses just 1 magnet. L's maybe???

When you order, also consider ordering more than one size and also order some smaller ones you can carry in your pocket. They really come in handy.

Cheers!

Jim

"

When you order, also consider ordering more than one size and also order some smaller ones you can carry in your pocket. They really come in handy."

Just be sure you do NOT carry one or two in each front pocket, or you may wind up speaking in a high squeeky voice.

"

When you order, also consider ordering more than one size and also order some smaller ones you can carry in your pocket. They really come in handy."

Just be sure you do NOT carry one or two in each front pocket, or you may wind up speaking in a high squeeky voice.

Or get stuck to your vehicle! That's always good for a laughhappy0193[1].gif

Jim

:yuk-yuk: :yuk-yuk: :yuk-yuk: :yuk-yuk:

I bought two 200lb and several 120lb rare earths to separate black sand from the goodies. I made the mistake of getting a finger between two of them as they decided meet up. Ouch! won't do that again. I now keep them separated using plastic Power bait jars so that I don't have to pry them apart. I had one in my pocket once. Got stuck to the refrigerator, water heater, tools off the bench to name a few.

I bought two 200lb and several 120lb rare earths to separate black sand from the goodies. I made the mistake of getting a finger between two of them as they decided meet up. Ouch! won't do that again...

Oh dude! You have my sympathy. Been there, done that, earned the T-shirt! :stupidrb: Terry