Nugget Shooter Forums
OldSalt

White Tanks

Gents,

Does anyone know if the White Tank Mountains ever produced any gold? Any info on it's history? I am assuming it containes no significant amount of gold because considering it's location, it had to have been checked, and there are no active claims????

I don't think I've ever read/heard about anything coming out of there.

Go a little further West toward Salome and you'll get into a producing area, though.

:zip-lip: :ph34r2:

I have seen some specimens from there found with a beeper and fine gold from drywashing. Ronald Welgus writes about the area in his first book Arizona's Little Known Gold Placers as well....

More bullets to dig then anywhere I have ever been :ROFL:

Now I too :ph34r2: :shhhhh:

I could only imagine the trash from that area! I used to go wheeling in there (before it was closed and, subsequently, developed) and participated in a few clean ups. I've personally pulled a few different car carcasses out of there for the Sherrif and insurance companies. Same thing we've done for cars found in the trails out at Table Mesa.

The southern end has several old gold mines as well as one near the Cat proving grounds that was an active strip mine for gold up until only a few years ago. I've heard they are considering opening again with this new gold value. I know of nothing on the West, East or North slopes.

Are we talking about the same white tanks... West end of the Phoenix Valley? I'm suddenly not so sure about where we're discussing :tisk-tisk:

Glenn

Yep the same White Tank Mountains west of Phoenix... if you look you will see a couple of old shafts in the area.... One of those places that I have been meaning to check out but just never get the chance to look....If you look hard at Google Earth you might just see the old tailing piles... but you got to know where to look for them :inocent: ..And I did notice a active mining claim on Google Earth as well so Hmmmmmmmm. :zip-lip: :ph34r2:

Very Respectfully

RANGERMG

Tim

Thanks gents!

I have explored the southern most part of the white tanks where the mines are located. Many mine shafts going straight down. Some have chicken wire around them many dont. Also a very large opening that you could almost back in a truck right down to the opening. I used to have a pic a few years ago but lost it when my phone broke not too long ago.

In Wilson's Arizona Placers and Placering book, there's

"Dad's Wash" or something like that that is declared as unlocated...However, if you research it, that particular area shows up as south or SW of the White Tanks...I understand the area is pretty trashy, but, hey, like some of the women I used to know back in my bachelor days, you can find nice gold among the trash ;) :yuk-yuk: :D Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah