Nugget Shooter Forums

Iron Object

Hi all

9/29/10

I found this iron object in the Prescott area with my

Omega 8000. I didn't think much of it at the time

but now believe it certainly came from the sky.

The unique aspect is that since finding it, it has

begun to rust. This specimen had to have been fresh

when I found it & just may be an iron meteorite.

Would appreciate your comments as I have never seen

a fresh iron find.

Wayne

post-1528-046572200 1287984553_thumb.jpg

post-1528-006341200 1287984603_thumb.jpg

Looks water worn to me, but I could be entirely wrong...What are the streak, file, etc. characteristics? ... Cheers, Unc

Wayne,

Your find looks very very good! I would say you have a new iron meteorite! How many hunting days do you have in the area after you found it? Just curious if you have worn out a pair of boots in the area yet. Congrats! Good on ya!

Dean

Unc,Erik,Dean

Thanks for the replies. This specimen has so much character that I hate to touch it for a test.

When looking at the back side trailing roll-over with my hand 60X microscope I see what I would refer to as spider webbing in the metal. Probably a form of stretching force maybe. I hope someone may have an Iron with the same detail. I have two days in the area but could not hunt for over a week with the weather in the area. Sure would like to find another.

Thanks Again

Wayne

Hello Wayne,

You can see the roll over lip in one of your photos. That is what you are possibly seeing along with the flow lines. I could be wrong Wayne but it looks very good to me. I have found Glorietas that have the very same characteristics. I will see if I can get some photos to you this week. Two days Wayne? You need to get back to your spot when the weather permits and do some hammering! Good luck!

Dean

Hello Ben

Thanks for the post. Sac wash 005 is my only comparison to this specimen. I have no other Irons to compare. My 14 gram 005 was rusted when found as well as others. Then as you know we have other specimens found in the gun metal blue. This piece weighs in at 4.1 grams so is very hard to find an area that would not destroy its integrity. After cutting my 38 gram nose cone cold find because I could not locate enough Ni Fe with a window, I was told by several that I ruined a very special piece.

My past experience with nickle test kits proved one must almost grind dust particules to make the test work. Maybe you have another solution these days. I sure would like to find another to back this find up.

Best Regards

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Yes we've found several of the "gun-metal blues". The find is not large enough to take a slice for analysis, without messing up the piece. You either have to pound the area in a circle for a mile (could take some time) hoping to find another fragment from the same fall, or bite the bullet, and take it down to ASU. They're having their free "Walk-In Meteoorite Identification" on saturday November 6th. Maybe they can give you a good reason to choose one way or the other.

Ben

Hi Wayne, Cool maybe meteorite!!! There is a coupla-three ways to analyze for nickel without destroying the meteorite, but I imagine it will cost about $100, I think. One is X-ray Induced Fluorescence (XRF), they acually have Field Portable XRF units, but a sent-to laboratory will have a big unit. There is Particle (also Proton) Inducted X-ray Emission (PIXE), and there is Scaning Electron Microscope with Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (also called X-ray micro analysis), which will work on your sample without preparation because it's conductive (I presume). I talked the PIXE guy at the link below for some work bullsxxx, he seemed easy to talk to. If you want to do it, just call them (under the contact link), an tell them that you do not want the sample filed, or ground at all. Tell them the size so they know they can fit it into the sample chamber (send them an e-mail pic), and tell them you just want a qualatative result high nickel > 1000 mg/kg or not. If you can find someone with a Field Portable X-Ray Fluorescence unit that would be cheapest probably less than $50, maybe less. Clifton

http://www.elementalanalysis.com/

another lab link is below, but I haven't talk to them

http://www.ors-labs.com/XRFAnalysis.php

Thanks Ben & Clifton

Very helpful info. Hope to start working the area this week. If anyone heard any reports of fireball sightings in the month of Sept let me know. This piece was fresh between rains in Prescott.

Best Regards

Wayne

Hey Wayne one nondestructive test you can do is figure out the density (g/cm^3) and compare it to this chart-

Washington University

First measure the weight of the suspected meteorite. Then take a graduated cylinder (smaller ones are more accurate) and add water to it, take note where the water line is. Place the suspected meteorite into the graduated cylinder knocking any surface air bubbles off and see where the water mark lines up. Take the first water mark value and subtract it from the second one, then divide that number into the weight of the suspected meteorite. If you have a number in the 7-8 g/cm^3 range there's a good chance it could be something.

This method certainly isn't the most accurate test but it will get you in the ballpark and help weed out a lot of meteorwrongs.

Hope this helps!

Del

I wouldn't compare it to Sac Wash 005 since those peeled out of the chondrites. I'd compare it to another Iron meteorite from the iron part of an asteroid, not the chondrite part of an asteroid.

Density test is a good idea. I believe there is a guide with pictures in the Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites by Norton.

[Erik]

Thanks Erik

I have family in suddenly for a few days and have not the time to explain fully. But was comparing this to possibably a low level break up like 005 because of the lack of some form of fusion crust or dark blue tempering from extreme heat like some 005 specimens. But what do I know I just hunt. Getting to old to study,and can't remember what I do read. Sure would be great to see a few fresh Iron finds with no moisture involved to compare. Maybe you or dad have in your travels.

Wayne