Nugget Shooter Forums

Old mining camp sites

wjbell

This is a two part question. Has anyone used a gold VLF to hunt for coins and relics? I ended up selling my GB2 and getting a GMT and thought I'd try it out on some old mining camp sites and maybe some local parks. I know it wont do what the coin machines do but thought if I turn down the gain and get the feel of what different things sound like I can probably do some discrimination myself, but most likely dig it all.

Second thing is can anyone from the area point to toward any old mining camps or sites along the N fork American or bear from colfax down to sacramento? I remember seeing a bunch of old foundations one the east side of Yankee Jims bridge above shirttail creek. I though that might be a decent place to try. Also the lower american, I read that places like rattlesnake bar were dotted with mining camps, tents and cabins. Anyone have any suggestions?

And of course I've been reading about all the outlaws of the day and how their caches of gold were buried and never found, like the mountaineer house right in that rattlesnake bar area...

While using my GM2 I have found coins and stuff looking for gold, silver spoons,old keys and such.

I just put it on full discriminate and dug only the good beeps in the trashy areas. Found lots of good stuff in Folsom. I still work a campsite in Folsom so I am reluctant to say exactly where but lots of good stuff found at that camp.

There are lots of " campsites " up on the American river past the colfax bridge. I once found a safe inbeded on a hill looking towards the river semi camoflauged . This was somebodys campsite for sure. The safe was empty but I never thought to scrape out the dirt residue inside it. Possibly some gold.

Jerry

While using my GM2 I have found coins and stuff looking for gold, silver spoons,old keys and such.

I just put it on full discriminate and dug only the good beeps in the trashy areas. Found lots of good stuff in Folsom. I still work a campsite in Folsom so I am reluctant to say exactly where but lots of good stuff found at that camp.

There are lots of " campsites " up on the American river past the colfax bridge. I once found a safe inbeded on a hill looking towards the river semi camoflauged . This was somebodys campsite for sure. The safe was empty but I never thought to scrape out the dirt residue inside it. Possibly some gold.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. What do you call the Colfax bridge? (mineral bar) and by past, do you mean upstream?

If you ever want to check out some places let me know since we're both around sacramento.

What do you call the Colfax bridge? (mineral bar) and by past, do you mean upstream?

I cant remember the name of the road down to the American River but its a wild and scenic 1000 feet above the bridge. I believe Shirtail creek runs into the river at the bridge.

I seem to recall walking up an old trail on the northside of the river. The trail goes a long ways and it wasn`t hard to find old camp spots. Just look for piles of old rusty cans closeby. Well maybe it was the Iowa hill bridge which is farther down river :tisk-tisk: sorry cant remember as I have not worked this in a long time.

I will say this, a good gold shooter I used to know worked the bedrock up there on the river above Colfax and found nice pieces with his old di6000pro. He had some very nice pieces from that area. For some reason i never checked it out up that far with a detector.

Suppose there is good gold there still. I just have other spots to go to that dont include walking 3 miles, heh.

Jerry

wjBell- Sounds like your more interested in camp sites than gold maybe you should have got an Mxt or Xterra instead :inocent: my 2 centavos Mike C...:ph34r2:

I am more interested in finding gold, I'm just having trouble finding decent spots to look that aren't already hammered, or claimed. I was thinking seriously about the mxt before I bought the gmt but I didn't want to sacrifice on gold detection for coin hunting. I'm just interested in camp sites and parks now for something to do if I can't find any areas to find nuggets.

I need to find a little-known hydrolic pit with huge slabs of exposed bedrock with cracks and crevices everywhere. Anyone now where I can find one of those? :yuk-yuk:

• 3 months later...

Your smack dab in the middle of 1,000's a old sites. Just mosey on down to Pioneer in Auburn and talk to my ol'bud Frank(in china)or Ace. OR just go to a Goldhounds meeting,local yokel righteous club,and they have trips,tours,lectures,demos and plenty of us old farts who just luv to spread the fever,share info and equipment and you'll never meet/greet a crowd of such friendly honest people-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :cigar:

Your smack dab in the middle of 1,000's a old sites. Just mosey on down to Pioneer in Auburn and talk to my ol'bud Frank(in china)or Ace. OR just go to a Goldhounds meeting,local yokel righteous club,and they have trips,tours,lectures,demos and plenty of us old farts who just luv to spread the fever,share info and equipment and you'll never meet/greet a crowd of such friendly honest people-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :cigar:

99% of the club are good honest people. As with all clubs, there are a few bad apples. The outings and meetings are fun, but be careful. Some of the members really have the "fever" and will do whatever it takes to get some gold...I have learned the hard way.

I have always used an all metal machine for treasure hunting. And I generally find a lot of good treaasures too. It is slower than a treasure machine but it gets it all.

There are a lot of treasures in non trashy areas if you take the time to think about it. The more valuable stuff was generally hidden away from the camp, and a whole lot of lost items out in the woods where very little trash exists. So that all metal machine might just teach you some technique that a guy using a treasure machine may never think about. It has worked well for me.

I have always used an all metal machine for treasure hunting. And I generally find a lot of good treaasures too. It is slower than a treasure machine but it gets it all.

There are a lot of treasures in non trashy areas if you take the time to think about it. The more valuable stuff was generally hidden away from the camp, and a whole lot of lost items out in the woods where very little trash exists. So that all metal machine might just teach you some technique that a guy using a treasure machine may never think about. It has worked well for me.

That's for sure Bob,

I was searching an old camp and found all sorts of junk near te camp. About 1/4 mile from the camp with my LST on all metal and came up with this.

post-23855-0-40432400-1297894067_thumb.j

That's for sure Bob,

I was searching an old camp and found all sorts of junk near te camp. About 1/4 mile from the camp with my LST on all metal and came up with this.

Jesus! That's a find!

I was trying to do some research on Tom Bell and his band of robbers that made there home base the Mountaineer House on Auburn Folsom rd. Supposedly, Tom Bell (not his real name) lived in the woods somewhere 500 yards behind the inn and buried a lot of his take somewhere around his house. When he got caught and hung he never had a chance to go back for it.

Also, this was after the mule train robbery were they held up and stole a very large amount of gold (coins?) from Wells Fargo. The gold was so heavy that that had to bury half in the mountains and come back for it later. Only one of the men buried it and new the location. Before he could go back to retrieve it he was killed.

So somewhere off the old mule trail in the trinity mountains there a huge cache of gold never found.

I had a link to treasure stories like this and they were listed by state. But I can't find it now. Anyone know any of these treasure story sites?

Jesus! That's a find!

I was trying to do some research on Tom Bell and his band of robbers that made there home base the Mountaineer House on Auburn Folsom rd. Supposedly, Tom Bell (not his real name) lived in the woods somewhere 500 yards behind the inn and buried a lot of his take somewhere around his house. When he got caught and hung he never had a chance to go back for it.

Also, this was after the mule train robbery were they held up and stole a very large amount of gold (coins?) from Wells Fargo. The gold was so heavy that that had to bury half in the mountains and come back for it later. Only one of the men buried it and new the location. Before he could go back to retrieve it he was killed.

So somewhere off the old mule trail in the trinity mountains there a huge cache of gold never found.

I had a link to treasure stories like this and they were listed by state. But I can't find it now. Anyone know any of these treasure story sites?

http://www.treasurestories.com/

http://www.treasure-adventure.com/treasleg.html

Thanks Au. Here's another one. I was looking at the Treasure Tales of California parts 1,2,3 and 4

Treasure forum

Does anyone know the location of where the mountaineer house was on auburn-folsom rd? It was supposedly built on the site of the old stage stop somewhere about 3 miles from auburn.

What a find that was! Must hear story.... :eee:

Part of this story was the first post that I made here and since I knew nothing about posting I posted it in an obscure topic. Don't think many folks saw it.

I want pass it on. It is a good story and will add to Bedrock Bob's thoughts about looking out in the woods away from the old camps where the valuable things were probably hidden.

Over the next few days I"ll work up the "Can o Gold" story and post it. I might have plenty time on my hands anyway. Two weeks ago while prospecting I screwed up my left knee.

Had a MRI and will see Doc. today. Surgery or not I'll be out of business for a while....BUMMER!

Bill C

What a stash!

I have found three old rifle casings full of gold dust. I have found a dozen that were folded over and crimped on the end but always thought nothing of it. Then one day I found one that was just too heavy. I opened it up and out poured a half ounce!

Since then I have found two more. I NEVER pass up the chance of looking inside an old rifle casing or a can or jar.

And several stashes of coins as well. None were buried. All were in a blasting cap tin or tobacco can nailed to the trunk of a tree a couple feet off the ground. And while going over a tree with the coil I also found an old pistol wired to a branch. I beleive this is becasue of the snow covering the ground and the stash being unavailable unless it is up in a tree.

Anyhoo, there are a few tricks to finding a stash and I never have heard anyone discuss it much. But as far as I am concerned you can come home with more goods finding stashes than nuggets.