Nugget Shooter Forums

Metal Detector Depth Doubler

DolanDave

Has anyone used this device, called a depth doubler. Basically induces a voltage into the ground, and works best in a wet ground after the rains. It allows your detector to penetrate deeper, and in pounded areas is suppose to help.

Dave

post-1046-042976500 1287711627_thumb.jpg

So is it supposed to charge the ground? making the nuggets more conductive? Do I need to stick the probe in the ground on every swing :yuk-yuk: boorb I dont know, but sounds like a pain in the arse ;)

Heck , I dont even want to talk about the issues if that probe is metal :wacko:

I seem to have some brain cells left that connect this to the 70's or 80's magazines.

Racking what's left of my brain, I can only come up with a few possible reasons it may work.

1. Precharging the Target may aid in the creation of the Eddy currents that is possible to help say a PI detector see the target.

2. As you know targets show better Halo if the ground is wet/moist and target has been in the ground for some time. ????

The charge may aid in the Halo Effect?

Personally, I think they are BUNK!

Dave where did you hear about this and what did you hear?

Here is what I could find...the instructions on how to use it.

But they are not made any more and were expensive although I cannot

find a price.

I do know that years ago in the 70's a friend used an iron rod

attached to a portable generator to put a charge into the ground and he said

that metal became easier to detect. He had used this method and liked it.

That's all I know.

Flak

If it works it would work on iron targets that have the large rust halo. It would also increase ground mineralization effect. I've seen this type idea on other expensive units and I know a fellow who dug a 8 foot hole and found nothing. There was a lot of iron stone in that spot and he dug up a lot of rock. He was sure a iron chest was under all that rock. He did hit water though at 8 foot.

not sure how great it would work/ especially if theres plenty of black sand in area youd imagine every thing would give off a magnetic resenance.

in soil with earth worms i used to soak the soil the night before well in an area. 48 square feet.

next day i would drive a pitch fork into the ground about a foot deep and hook it up to 220 volt supply and turn on power and it would send worms scurrying up to the surface and once the power was turned off one could just pick up the stunned worms, after a few minutes they would return to normal.

i also used 220 volt generator with power fed through a rectifier to change the frequency of the power to about 4 hz with a plus and a minus pole a few feet apart we would stun fresh water fish to collect them for survey work and fish removal purposes.within a few feet of the poles it would kill a person but again it only temporary stunned the fish who recovered in a few minutes. surveyed rivers with 12 boats across covering bank to bank electro fishing for survey work. silvery coloured salmon fresh from the sea the power would break their back bone and kill them if we didnt lift poles out of the water quickly. the silver scales were far more conductive than the darker coloured salmon who has slime built up on its scales over time in the river which protects its flesh from infection.

how about these new high powered marine sonars/ from what i have seen they penetrate through 100 feet of water /6 foot of mud and then about 6 foot of solid rock showing any changes in the rock with colour differences.

i used to be able to divine water in the ground using a y shaped hazel or sally rod branch. gold cannot exist without water so i reckon they share a lot of properties in common. as for the metal detector i have if i ever get a nugget with it i will believe it penetrates through more than 2 inches of highly mineralized ground. i used the black sand id monitor on it to get areas high in black sand to dig for dry washing but never had much luck. i would love to have the cash to invest in a minelab 5000/ from what i have seen in the field for about a year now the only people getting worth while deep nuggets are people using the gpx 4500 and up.

talked to people using 2 expensive[$750 to $1000] detectors and all they were getting was tin foil bullets/ nails/bean cans/ so i didnt feel bad as i was getting the same with the detector i have so it wasnt just my inexperience at play.

i have often detected an area before dry washing and got no reading and found half gramme plus nuggets within 18 inches of the ground top. agAIN IM ONLY A NOVICE WITH THE METAL DETECTOR AND HOPEFULLY OVER THE WINTER MONTHS I WILL LEARN BETTER HOW TO READ THE GROUND AND USE THE METAL DETECTOR TO ITS FULL ABILITY. I DID WATCH A VIDEO FROM METAL DETECTOR MANUFACTURER and i feel i learned a good bit.

with all the rain its looking like it will be back to the sluice again / i will admit im spoiled using the drywasher.

and ill tell you once i start sluicing i will be finding clay every where / while i was dry washing i was in gravelly ground which would have suited the sluice far better.

im hopefully this weekend moving to a new prospecting area and hopefully i will get some colour.

Silvervortek,

That is interesting stuff about putting a charge into the ground. I now wonder though, if gold

which doesn't generally build up a halo the way iron does, would be infused with the charge or not.

I have no idea but there are people on this forum who know that stuff.

Best of luck to you learning to detect. We all have had to do it so be patient with yourself

and your machine.

Grubstake,

Yes it is the same depth doubler made by Compass Detectors in Oregon.

All the best,

Flak

Dave & Flak,

Not sure that metal posts, generators & wet ground - play well together . . . I could see some serious issues, being planted 6 foot under being one of them . :stupidrb: Somebody will always make a mistake & with electricity it can have a bad ending.

:twocents: wonderer

Ok folks pay attention...here we go again...around 1994 or 95 I

bought one of these....had an engineer at the skunk works in

area 51 do the testing....he had every power source available to

mankind....his conclusion was "ripoff"...didn't do $hit....then

I took it to King Tut where I had found some good gold and followed

the instructions to a "T"....two different areas....then detected

the "super charged" areas with a XT17000 and a SD2000....NOTHING!!

Later saw an elderly couple at the King Tut mine doing the same

thing with a generator attached....again nothing.....NUFF SAID?

Frank C. has the best idea!!!!

When we were kids we sold night crawlers to fisherman and to get the crawlers and worms we woould saturate the groung with a sprinkler or after a rain and then take 2 metal rods and sink them into the ground spaced apart and one was hooked up to 120. when the juicve was turned on those crawlers would come come out and we just picked them up for for the wowrm garden. worked great.

Allen in MT

When we were kids we sold night crawlers to fisherman and to get the crawlers and worms we woould saturate the groung with a sprinkler or after a rain and then take 2 metal rods and sink them into the ground spaced apart and one was hooked up to 120. when the juicve was turned on those crawlers would come come out and we just picked them up for for the wowrm garden. worked great.

Allen in MT

Allen,Suppose Gold will do the same thing:rasberry: :stupidrb: :baaasmiley:

Harry

This post is fun, and a good lesson for the new prospectors. Thanks Garimpo for helping out ,It seems as we all try to get an edge on gold hunting we can stray away from fact, Well it happens and only time and experiance can teach us our lessons, Also i see a lot of this black sand stuff re surfacing, We are not looking for black sand we are looking for gold,Yep they can be together in the pan but heck there is water in the pan also.Gold can be attached to magnetic and mostly non magnetic ,{hemotite} black sand , but it is very very rare that it would ever pay to process it for gold, You all will find more gold with a pan and a screw driver, than with any ones far out ideas,Stay safe and wise there are a lot of snake oils out there for the gold prospector,Nothing pays off like good old fashion hard back breaking work,

Allen,Suppose Gold will do the same thing:rasberry: :stupidrb: :baaasmiley:

Harry

Of course Harry don't you know that nuggets have feelings to :zapped: :hmmmmm:

Garrett had a deapth doubler years ago but don't think it did any good. :angry:

Only works good on worms Harry :yuk-yuk:

Allen

Hey Allen...glad you posted the nightcrawler connection...The used to sell a similar contraption on the back of comic books about 50 years ago...Glad to hear they actually worked! Cheers, Unc

I agree that this is probably an idea whose time has not and probably never will, come.

But when you think about it, it sounds like something that could work.

It's like a very well known treasure hunter once said to me;

"I have no idea how that thing works (he was talking about a new kind of magnatometer),

but if I get my hands on it and can switch it on, I'll figure it out and find treasure with it."

And he did too.

All the best,

Flak

Dave & Flak,

Not sure that metal posts, generators & wet ground - play well together . . . I could see some serious issues, being planted 6 foot under being one of them . :stupidrb: Somebody will always make a mistake & with electricity it can have a bad ending.

:twocents: wonderer

Wonderer this is a very good point that it seems most on here just passed up on...12 Volts

whether from a battery or generator will nail your hide....in twenty years as a firefighter

I went on two runs aka calls involving 12V accidents...both had their car hoods up where

they had been working....one guy had his hand on the door handle...was on his knees beside

the car with his head against the door as if he was listening to something...he was hearing

the "Angels sing"...stone cold dead...pulled him loose with a dry rope...

The other guy was still in the garage bent over in the engine compartment...knees on the

shinny chrome bumper...beer gut on the inside on top of some wiring...had a very determined

look on his face...guess he was playing checkers with Elvis....

When I was messing with this contraction I was thinking about those two and what Wonderer

said here....