Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nugget Shooter

Truck bed liner and coils

OK so I hear "what about truck bed liner for coils" all the time so I am going to try it and let everyone know how it works out. Like many here I do not like using a coil cover for a number of reasons so here we go... So far so good and did 2 coils yesterday with 2 coats of Dupli Color Truck Bed Coating from Checker Auto. Taped the coils just past edges to allow side bump protection and did them up. Gave a nice coating about 1/64 inch thick I guess and well see how it holds up. Will also be easy to do touch up or make thicker if needed, durability is the question for now...

IMG_20101021_064849.jpg

IMG_20101021_064910.jpg

IMG_20101021_064950.jpg

More in a few days :inocent:

Yo Billy...How did you get them so nice and uniform with taping???...I did the coating on one of my coils and, while effective as a coating, it looks like kaka because my taping was no bueno...Cheers, Unc

Great Idea Bill, let us know how this holds up to that desert rock, brush and caliche.

Dave

Yo Billy...How did you get them so nice and uniform with taping???...I did the coating on one of my coils and, while effective as a coating, it looks like kaka because my taping was no bueno...Cheers, Unc

Good old blue masking tape around top edge and to cover top, cleaned the coils with TSP to remove grease etc., sanded them a little to help paint stick, painted....

BILL, The most important part to getting a durable finish as I have found from experience is not only multiple coats but CURING TIME the more the better.

And there are different grades of the material that can be had. I have had good luck with 3M brand and extended cure time.

Also the Rubberized Undercoating that 3M has is great so far where I have used it. Experiment with the different types and give a good long cure time before use.

Bill I beleive that Kevin H. at Minelab been using this for years. I remember a post he made on another forum before he sold his store

about using this.

Thanks Del,

Appear to wear off a bit, but that is to be expected I guess. Perhaps I will thicken mine up on the bottom before trying it...

Hi Bill,

That looks like a good method alright but if you are a "scrubber" like I am

it looks like it might wear fairly quickly, another reason I like that pc-7 non-metalic stuff.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,

Flak

Thanks Del,

Appear to wear off a bit, but that is to be expected I guess. Perhaps I will thicken mine up on the bottom before trying it...

Hey Bill, I certainly think it's still worth experimenting with. I think Frank C brings up a valid point about the cure time, I never thought about that one. Who knows with the right cure time and product maybe it can be done without it wearing out.

Del

It has now cured for 2 days and we'll see how it goes this weekend. Stuff is now hard as a rock... I am a "scrubber" so it will get a good test...

I've seen, and am considering, trucks covered in that Rhinoliner coating. My 04 toy rliner has held up extremely well and a couple a buds have it to but seen many problems with others. Really looking forward to more info on ability to resist scuffing,great idea. Coil covers are a pain-John

I've seen, and am considering, trucks covered in that Rhinoliner coating
I've seen a few jeeps and tacoma's covered with it also. There are a couple of guys on a Toyota forum who did thier Tacoma's and love it.

Rich

My ol' 86 is a rustn' and I'm seriously thinkn' of doing it BUT El D did a righteous job with that camo peel and stick stuff too on his taco sooo??John

Got torn up pretty good in just 2 days... May try thicker with more cure time, but cover is back on for now. The sharp rocks on the ground here in the AZ deserts tear it up pretty fast if you are an aggressive hunter.

I have some of that epoxy paste stuff Grubby uses and may try that. Does it last more that a few days/weeks without touch ups? Gary, Dave?

Hi Bill,

Regarding that pc-7 ... it definately lasts well, just put on a good first layer,

you know, don't scrimp. And most important of all, a very good cure time,

and I think you will be happily surprised.

Let us know,

Flak

bump.... This is a great thread with info and suggestions on various ways to protect your expensive

coils... Today with most of the easy gold found being more aggressive with your searchcoil (within

limits) could put a nugget or two in your poke...

One more thing... Be sure to check Dels link out.

Bill PC-7 is the best, after you coat the coil, you can use a wet finger or putty knife to get a good smooth even coat, before it sets up, good to go in two days of curing. and I don't think you will have to do it again, Grubstake

So Bill ... Now that this has risen from the dead files are you using coil covers or PC-7 or ... I have one coil that I had a friend in the Line-X business cover for me. It worked well until the coil died on me a year or so ago. I wouldn't do it to a new coil still under warranty ... I don't believe any of the coil manufacturers have disallowed it but they also want the coil cover business. After all a dollar's worth of plastic for them brings a wholesale price of about five or six dollars and a hefty margin to drive the bottomline of the balance sheet!

Mike F

So, Bill did you try the P-C7 ? Grubstake

Grubby I've been using PC-7 since you first mentioned it a few years ago. It works great for me but I don't scrape the ground when I move my coil. Witht the hip stick I can easily adjust my bungie cord to swing the coil about half an inch above the gravel.

The gold here is found in gravel and all the gravel has quartz in it and will wear out a coil cover in a very short time but the PC-7 will

help a lot.

I love that stuff, Don, can be used on lots of stuff, and is cheap enough to do lots of coils. Grubstake

I remember now and I did use it and liked it. Still wore through it pretty quick, but covers are getting very pricey these days