Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hunt4em

Question for you guys.

Do you all think that there is Gold in southwestern Virginia? I have been wanting to get me a pan and a few other things and start looking for it here. I am wondering if it is geologically correct for gold to be here. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance and good luck with your huntings!

It depends on how far west you are, the following map shows where the most likely areas that you might find native gold in the eastern states, this map is from the late 1800s and it is not perfect, as there is some gold found in southeastern Tennessee and south of there into Georgia, and the Georgia South Carolina southern portions are a bit to far south, there is a narrow gold belt along the S.C. and Ga. border around Augusta, but no gold to speak of between there and a little north of Atlanta, but otherwise it is OK to go prospecting with.

Also a map of the gold pyrite belt of Virginia, the red dots are where gold mines were/are located.

1897GoldMap.jpg

GoldPyriteBeltofVirginia.gif

Skip

:wubu: just ask and ye shall receive,sure like this place :eee:

The first gold bearing rock was found alongside the Rappahonnack River about four miles below the fall line near Fredericksburg in 1785. However, it wasn't until normalcy resumed in the state after the war when Virginia's gold would receive it's due attention. In 1806, it was discovered in the western section of Spotsylvania County. Fever caught on and gold deposits were discovered in an area called the the Gold-Pyrite Belt including the following counties: Buckingham, Carroll, Culpepper, Cumberland, Fairfax, Tauquer, Floyd, Fluvanna, Goochland, Halifax, Louisa, Montgomery, Orange, Patrick, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Stafford, and Warren.

The first operating gold mine in Virginia was organized in 1834 in Orange County Virginia. Several more successful mining operations sprang up in counties which include Culpeper, Orange, Spotsylvania, and Stafford. Several had deep shafts to deep veins and others had open pits. Fifteen years later, the California Gold Rush caught the dreams of these early prospectors, and Virginia's gold was largely forgotten.

You can always ask for permission to hunt on any private property, but you can also pan and metal detect in public access areas. The only known gold producing areas on public lands are in the Buckingham / Appomatox State Forest. There are numerous mines and probable placer locations in washes in the area which extends in a NE to SW line along the west side of US 15 through Sprouse's Corner & US 60 and into the State Forest. Contact the local Local Forest Ranger for more information including maps and regulations.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the input guys. I live right on the kentucky border in the mountains. Do you think that there is gold this far off of the gold belt? And also, is the gold found here mostly small, flaky gold? I dont know much at all about the types of materials associated with gold, but there is a lot of sandstone with little white pebbles that I think is a type of quartz. Also me and a friend tried panning one time and found a good amount of black sand, is that a good indicator that gold might be here? Thanks again for the input, really informative!

Do you all think that there is Gold in southwestern Virginia? I have been wanting to get me a pan and a few other things and start looking for it here. I am wondering if it is geologically correct for gold to be here. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance and good luck with your huntings!

you should hook up with blarney stone who has posted on this forum recently/ he has been working areas in north carolina/ he is new to prospecting and panning. i tried a few times in the big orange state with no luck there. again i wA ONLY LEARNING ABOUT PANNING.

AND BY THE WAY DONT BE SNEAKING UP ON ANY OF THE MOON SHINERS UP THERE IN THE WOODS. lol.