Nugget Shooter Forums

Question for Minelab or...

Here is something I have always been curious about.

Lets say your detector is not working right.

Is there a good process to troubleshoot what might be wrong?

For instance:

If the detector will not hold a Ground Balance.

What would be the proper steps to isolate the problem?

Or:

The rear screen starts acting up, it goes out intermittently or stops working

Or:

The detector gradually becomes increasingly more prone to falsing.

I am sure there are people who have figured a lot of this out,

maybe they could take a few minutes and enlighten the rest of us.

Does Minelab has a recommended checklist?

I have looked around their website briefly and haven't come across anything.

Anyone?

Flak

Lets say your detector is not working right. Mine finds very little gold so I know something is wrong with it!!!

Is there a good process to troubleshoot what might be wrong? I'm by no means an expert but being so far from the repair center and any kind of help I have developed a few common items I check when things don't seem right...

For instance:

What would be the proper steps to isolate the problem? If your using a skid plate take it off and see if you have any foreign material inside...black sand..or a dime...then try your GB switch in every position...move to different areas...

Or:

The rear screen starts acting up, it goes out intermittently or stops working Never had this problem but the only thing I would try is clicking all the switches and see if there's any results...

Or:

The detector gradually becomes increasingly more prone to falsing. Again check the skid plate...lay the detector on the ground where there's no interference and start with the coil cord by moving it slightly where it enters the coil...move upward a few inches and gingerly move the cord back and forth checking for breaks in the wires...check where the cord connects to the detector for a tight fit and no play in the plug....unplug the cord and hold it completely away from the shaft and see if that helps when you swing the detector...

maybe they could take a few minutes and enlighten the rest of us. One problem I had with my GP3000 was when I pressed the Auto tune button I got a very loud growl until I got the three little beeps...I called repair in Vegas and they knew instantly what the problem was...I sent it in and had it back in one week(I was in Okla.)...I'm beginning the think I have the same problem now with my GP4000...

Does Minelab has a recommended checklist? You might also switch coils...if your using a mono go to a DD or visa versa...I have looked around their website briefly and haven't come across anything.

Anyone? As a last resort you can very carefully open up the detector case and see if anything is loose...of course when you do that you loose your warranty!!!

Flak

Garimpo you are quick I had it all typed up like you and almost got it posted but you beat me to the punch :wubu:

But I'm going to answer it anyway :eee:

When my detector starts acking up and NOT being a Minelab tech.I do the following-

Frist and formost check your settings I hate were the DD/MONO/Cancel switch is it is so easy to bump :scare: (Sometimes I fell like cutting the switches off a little shorter with a dremel)

Then run the auto track again to make sure that no new EMI has showed up :zapped:

Then check the coil conection and battery conection to see if they are loose.Be sure to check the plug at the box if it is loose send it to Minelab :cry2:

Then check the coil cover to see if there is any dirt or junk your friends might of put in it as a joke :rasberry:

If none of this has worked about all you can do is try different parts :*&$*(:

You can try different coils,battery,power cord,headphones,quick track button

You can check your Quick track button with a Ohm meter it should have resistance one way and not the other.

I'm not sure but I think you can run with out the quick track button just by switching the detector form tracking to fixed on the fround end cap like we had to do on the 2200 :eee:

If none of this works you might have to send it to Minelab :grr01: :wah2:

For me I just call up my buddy Flak and have him send me his detector :wub: he never uses it anway :head:

Lets say your detector is not working right.

Is there a good process to troubleshoot what might be wrong?

Yes, if after you have gone through the obvious check with your dealer and see if they will allow you to send it to them for field testing. It really helps if I can test the detector myself and thus help with info to the service department... If not get a new dealer!

For instance:

What would be the proper steps to isolate the problem?

Start at the button as Matt mentioned, him and I have just finished trouble shooting a 4500 with an issue at the wire in the quick track handle. If that is not the problem again send box and handle to your dealer for field test.

Or:

The rear screen starts acting up, it goes out intermittently or stops working

Service department issue and not something a dealer can assist with.

Or:

The detector gradually becomes increasingly more prone to falsing.

Check coil for crap between cover and coil, Check cords as this is common when one is fixing to give up, Check coil wire by moving it at coil connection and connection to control box, have tested by dealer in field. Call Minelab service department if common issues are ruled out.

maybe they could take a few minutes and enlighten the rest of us.

Does Minelab has a recommended checklist?

Not as yet, but this is a good idea and I will pass it on...

I have looked around their website briefly and haven't come across anything.

Anyone?

When mine starts acting up I kick it a few times and if that don't work I tie a rope to it and drag it around on the bumpy dirt roads for a few miles behind my ATV---that usually works when all else fails :inocent: on a more serious note- as already stated I would check for any loose connections and dirt in covers and switches etc......Mike C...:ph34r2: