Nugget Shooter Forums

'Nother dang Dog Chasin' Rattler Tonight

Uncle Ron

Our old Border Collie, Mahina, sounded out her rattler bark about 10:00 tonight and, dang, if there wasn't one out coiled up and rattlin' behind her little house she sleeps in...We had another one about three and a half weeks ago in our driveway then this one tonight...My pump BB gun has proved to be a great garage sale investment...Mahina's been off her food for three days and now we know why...Wickenburg's turning out to be a rattler farm!!! ... Still gotta love the big AZ...Cheers, Unc

post-9-038968700 1287209408_thumb.jpg

We need to research , maybe there is no good answer but there are remedies for most problems like keeping rabbits away from plantings or cats etc. etc. there might be something that rattlers shun away from that can be used around the property to safegaurd certain areas. I dont know of anything off hand besides sittin in a rockin chair with a pistola waitin an watchin.

Aren't there natural predators to the rattler like some other snake or animal that won't bother with humans you may be able to get ahold of and transplant to your property or area.???? Thats no damm good having rattlers with little kids an pets around. A woman that we know came out her house one night went down the back stairs with house slippers on and was hit on the foot by one she recovered but it was a nasty long painful recovery and expensive.

There may be a nest near your place if you could find it and destroy it maybe.

If all else fails NEXT OUTING is at yer place Uncle Ron , YEAH 30 or 40 of us locked an loaded and combing the area !!!! Torches an 5 gallon cans of fuel if we find a nest we burn em out !!!!!!!! :hahaha: :olddude: :olddude: :hahaha:

I posted this link on another thread.

For those of you who may be interested in having your dog trained to avoid ratttttlesnakes.

http://www.snakesafe.com/

Very professional and effective. They travel to "Humane Society" locations in AZ.

Patrick in Havasu.....

I have heard that moth balls scattered around will keep snakes away, but I don't know if it will, my wife has scatter some around our chicken pen for keeping the Rat Snakes away and it has seemed to work.

Moth Ball used to contain Naphthalene which is one of the active ingredients in most snake repellents, but modern moth balls use 1,4-dichlorobenzene instead because of Naphthalene's flammability, I just know that I haven't had any snakes in the laying boxes lately, if I find any I will try Diatomaceous Earth mentioned below, moth balls are mentioned as a snake repellent at this link, but also contains a warning about using them around pets and children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothball

I have also heard that spreading Diatomaceous Earth will keep them and fleas away as well, here is a little info on Diatomaceous Earth, there is no mention of it being use to keep snakes away at these links, but it's suppose to get in the areas where their scales comes together and irritate the crap out of them, from what I have heard.

http://diatomaceousearthplus.com/About_Diatomaceous_Earth.html

http://diatomaceousearthplus.com/Naturally_Bug_Free.html

http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

Also powered sulfur, cedar oil, cinnamon oil, clove oil is among other things said to help with keeping snakes away, what ever you use be sure to make sure that you don't inadvertently "trap" a snake within your "snake repellent" dispersal area.

Homemade snake repellents.

http://www.crittercontrollers.com/homemade-snake-repellent.php

I do like the Mongoose idea!! :yuk-yuk:

Skip

Yo All...I bought some stuff called "Snake Away" a couple years ago...Smells like VERY strong mothballs...You have to hold your breath to scatter it out and you can't put it close to the house...Doesn't seem to work for $hit...

Garimpo, I think that snake was there for at least five days layed up in Mahina's hole in the ground she likes to nap in during the day...We were gone and my nephew was taking care of the place and feeding Mahina, but she quit eating and seemed upset for four days before we returned and then for a day after we got back...After I offed the snake she's been eating like a pig...She's had lots of encounters with rattlers and seems naturally snake trained...She barks at them like crazy but doesn't get close...Maintains a good 3 foot space away...She has a special "snake bark" ... It low then high pitched, kinda like a Minelab on a deep square nail... :yuk-yuk: :yuk-yuk: Cheers, Unc

Unc I like your truth in advertising about "snake away"...we have a big a$$ bird down

here that has long legs and they stomp the snakes to death and then eat'em....they have

a strange name that I can't pronounce and would probably strip the gears on "spell checker"

I call them Brazil road runners and I hear them all the time in the jungle...they laugh

like ha-ha-ha....I'm sure El Dorado remembers them....if I could just find a nest with a

egg in it would be a lot easier than trying to catch one....plan #2 would be Frank C's

"search and destroy" outing.....

Unc I just did a search this might be your best bet...check it out!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lampropeltis_getula#Captivity

Noisy peacocks absolutely hate ALL snakes,geese too, and kill'm on sight. Thats what we've used for years,had another hatch this year and up to 6 on 7 acres now and no rattlers where there were just toooooooooooooooooooooo many--John :twocents:

Noisy peacocks absolutely hate ALL snakes,geese too, and kill'm on sight. Thats what we've used for years,had another hatch this year and up to 6 on 7 acres now and no rattlers where there were just toooooooooooooooooooooo many--John :twocents:

road runners,owls and haws eat snakes. So do king snakes. Want to get rid of snakes eliminate what they eat.

But it hard to eliminate all the small mammals that snakes eat as well as lizards. Next time yourr dog stops eating. Do a good look around her home.

We have a couple big black and white king snakes that hang out, we have three hawks in the neighborhood, a big male feral cat we've been feeding, a local barn owl and a roadrunner that visits regularly...Plus a herd of javalinas that I usually feed the rattler carcasses to that comes through the 3 acres we have pretty much nightly...Rattlers just come with the deal when you love the Sonoran desert...So we just look carefully when we go out the door and keep the garage door closed...And keep the BB gun loaded...It's got about 9 notches on it over 5 years...Cheers, Unc

Ron if they eat pigions I'll take a couple.
Hey Frank I have a Golden Retreiver I could loan

you. I have watched him snag quite a few out of the air during their take off. It's not a pretty sight

feathers everywhere then our American Bulldog will pick the pigeon and run around with it. The birds learned the neighbors house is much better.

Hey Ron did that dump get cleaned up from you neighbors?

Rich

Yo Rich...The neighbor's dump got cleaned up a bit, but the big garbage is still covered and the round tailed rats are still thick...That's what's bringing in the rattlers, I suspect...I kill them round tails as much as I can with poison and BB's but it's kind of a downhill battle ... We've also got a buttload of kangaroo rats (which I'm kinda fond of) so I guess we just accept that the desert has a combination of critters that ultimately include rattlers and that's just the way it is "movin' west" .... :rolleyes: Still love it and, when they aren't in the yard, rattlers are my friends...Cheers, Unc

My dog has been bit two out of the last three years. I think he is finaly snake trained as we saw one the other day and he was very wary and stayed completely away. Hopefully he has gotten all of that curiosity out of his system. At $2000 per bite he only has a short time to live if he screws up again.

I have heard the locals say that Guinea hens are the cure for snakes. I had a couple of Guineas many years back and during those years I didnt see a snake on the place. Who knows? Those darn birds make good watch birds and will flat out attack almost anything they see as a threat.

Winter is the only cure. I saw a few flakes flying around this morning. It wont be long until the snakes are gone.

So today I went to air up the tires of my ATV to get out for a long overdue hunt and right next to the compressor in the back of the garage is this 5' snake ... Freaked me out until I could see its tail...A good ol' bullsnake...Hissed alot, but mellow..I took him out and turned him loose right in the middle of the round tail rat colony...Hope he eats good...Cheers, Unc

post-9-091691500 1287468200_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals

I have lived in the mountains of So.California most of my life and have had my walls as a kid lined from floor to cieling with rattle snake skins, the only places I have never found a snake in or around was the horse corals in the same area (chicken canyon, cobal canyon)

The grounds keeper says he used the horse droppings to fertilze all around the area on the edge of the property borders, in all the time he worked there he had only a couple of snakes found while the properties near him was over run with rattlesnakes, He told me snake hate horses and vise versa. I dont know if this would work out there but maybe it is worth a try , if not at least the landscape would be greener.

P.S. the bear is more of a problem than the snakes ....... at least I can kill the snakes or out run them ....LOL

post-23913-061935500 1289404614_thumb.jp

Guest Potholes Bob-NM

We have a couple big black and white king snakes that hang out, we have three hawks in the neighborhood, a big male feral cat we've been feeding, a local barn owl and a roadrunner that visits regularly...Plus a herd of javalinas that I usually feed the rattler carcasses to that comes through the 3 acres we have pretty much nightly...Rattlers just come with the deal when you love the Sonoran desert...So we just look carefully when we go out the door and keep the garage door closed...And keep the BB gun loaded...It's got about 9 notches on it over 5 years...Cheers, Unc

What kind of "BB" rifle is it Ron that will kill a rattler?

When I was living in CA I had a pump up with a scope mounted. You could pump it up around six or 8 times and I estimated that at maximum it had the power of a .22 short.

When you used BBs it was so quiet, just like phfft but when loaded with .177 lead pellets it did give out a good Crack sound. At about 4 pumps it would but a BB through both sides of a steel garbage pail from 50 feet away. Think it was a Benjamen, but not sure.

Some of the more expensive ones show FPS rating on the box, and if I remember right,the best ones would approach 800 FPS or thereabouts!

I'd like to buy another one for target practice on my NM ranch. I'm on 20 acres but still within the Springer City jurisdiction and they get upset if you start using a HP rifle or say, a .357 within the city limits, even though my nearest neighbor is about a mile away.

It's been a while guys. Haven't gone out since RD passed. Really miss nugget shooting and will just have to get out sometime!

Take care guys and God Bless!

Bob

Hey Potholes...Great to hear from you...been wondering what happened to you...I'm not sure what brand my bb/pellet gun is but it pumps up strong and it will go through a metal garbage can with about 8 pumps...Does in snakes and rats real good....Don't be such a stranger and get out there over a nugget...Cheers, Unc

Hey Potholes...Great to hear from you...been wondering what happened to you...I'm not sure what brand my bb/pellet gun is but it pumps up strong and it will go through a metal garbage can with about 8 pumps...Does in snakes and rats real good....Don't be such a stranger and get out there over a nugget...Cheers, Unc

Ditto, where ya been Bob?

WalMart has some BB/Pellet guns up to 1400 FPS or better. Mine will nail a rabbit in one shot from a good distance...