Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlakMagnet

build a Coil Cable Connector Stabilizer

This cheap easy-to-make fix is my favorite.

One of the big points where falsing can occur is where
the coil cable connects to the detector box. If you have ever bumped the detector
or wiggled that cable near where it connects to the box
you know it is a significant false that can occur.

I have enclosed two pictures that will be more eloquent that I could ever be.
The pieces can be bought at any hardware store for a few bucks.
Since I first used this "fix" on my 3000 I have almost completely eliminated
problems with falsing in this critical area where the cable connects to the detector.

I have written this with Bob's permission.

post-920-037125600 1287116110_thumb.jpg

post-920-001300800 1287116120_thumb.jpg

Flak,

Thanks for the advice, that cable sure is sensitive. I found this from someone else that has done the mod also.

Dave

post-1046-066898200 1287157370_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

I was blown away when, early in my learning experience (my long learning experience), with the 3000,

I realized just how often this connection could produce a false. When I found Bob's post about the

connector stabilizer it changed everything. I have had one on every machine I have had since (4).

Wish you could get your posted picture a touch larger, but it looks like that would work as well.

PS; Sorry I cannot make it to the outing this year I would like to be able to see everyone.

I remember conversations with you were very interesting.

All the best,

Flak

Here is the one I use invented and produced by our very own AZ4AU, AKA: Mike K. Plastic with no metal and works like a charm, trying to get him to make them to offer detector users at retail...

IMG_20101016_170707.jpg

IMG_20101016_170338.jpg

Tell him what ya think....

Very good looking.

There is no bigger encouragement that I could give than this:

I would buy one right now.

Flak

Oh Mikey if you have one i want it,Tell me the cost, that is a very helpfull item to have, :thumbsupanim

Mike. I'll pop for two or three... Just tell me where to send the money!!

Now that I think about it, I would like to place an order please.

Just let me know where to send the $$.

Again, if you own a Minelab and have not noticed how prone

this cable is to falsing, why not give it a little test next time you

have your detector switched on. You may be surprised.

Thank you Mike for what looks like a workable (and easily acquired - I hope), solution.

Flak

Here's another one for you guys-

IMG_1974_1.jpg

Been using these for about three years now and I've been happy with them. All you do is line them up and super glue them in place. Only problem with them is that you have to break the bond and replace them when you want to take the handle off. I like these so much I went "strapless" and use them to hold the cable coming all the way from the coil-

IMG_1980_1.jpg

Haven't used the velcro straps for years now and it's pretty nice. One less thing to carry around and lose.

Del

Mike K... I'll take 2.......

Paseclipse,

Another nice solution.

Mikes looks a touch simpler, but anything that

cuts down on the cable falsing is worthy.

Flak

Del I really like your system because it's simular to mine except I use velcro straps...

are yours what the telephone co. uses for securing the wiring in the house? Are you able

to release the cable without any hassle...I switch coils a lot? Where can I get some of

them?

Del like Garimpo I would like to know more about your connectors.

I would also like to here about your detector shaft and were you got it.

Thanks,Matt

Matt: I think Del got the shaft the same place I got mine -- from Herb Browning, a WSPA member who manufactures them out of super strong, lightweight carbon fiber. Herb lives near San Diego. Herb offers an extra long version to be used with the larger coils. The extra length puts the coil further out from your body which may interfere with a PI's ability to ground balance by carrying metallic objects such as a heavy duty pick or battery pack.

Hey Del....KNOCK-KNOCK....still waiting on the info about the clips you use....

Hey Del....KNOCK-KNOCK....still waiting on the info about the clips you use....

Sorry about the delay there Garimpo, had to make some time to get some pics and upload them to Photobucket.

Del I really like your system because it's simular to mine except I use velcro straps...

are yours what the telephone co. uses for securing the wiring in the house? Are you able

to release the cable without any hassle...I switch coils a lot? Where can I get some of

them?

I get these cable clamps from an electronics shop around the corner from my apartment. Not sure what they're used for though. All you do to release them is use a coin or a key and snap them off. Nice and easy. Here's a pic-

Clamps_1.jpg

Here's a close up pic of one-

Clamps_2.jpg

To get them to hold onto the shaft use some non-metallic zip ties, bend the clamp a little into place, then run the zip ties through the holes and tighten it down. You can move them around a little bit but the adhesive does a good job of keeping them in place.

Here's the website of the company that makes them-

Vanco

One thing I will say about them... They have a little trouble clamping down on some of the Coiltek coils that have the thicker cables. It's not a big deal though because you can still run the cable through the clamps and they stay secure.

Del like Garimpo I would like to know more about your connectors.

I would also like to here about your detector shaft and were you got it.

Thanks,Matt

Matt, Martin pretty much identified the source for the Carbon Fiber shaft. Herb used to sell them on eBay but I haven't seen them up for a little while. Look up "Herb" on any of the forums and send him a PM. I'm sure he can hook you up with one. I've been using mine since April and I love it!

Hope this helps guys

Del

Sorry about the delay there Garimpo, had to make some time to get some pics and upload them to Photobucket.

I get these cable clamps from an electronics shop around the corner from my apartment. Not sure what they're used for though. All you do to release them is use a coin or a key and snap them off. Nice and easy. Here's a pic-

Clamps_1.jpg

Here's a close up pic of one-

Clamps_2.jpg

To get them to hold onto the shaft use some non-metallic zip ties, bend the clamp a little into place, then run the zip ties through the holes and tighten it down. You can move them around a little bit but the adhesive does a good job of keeping them in place.

Here's the website of the company that makes them-

Vanco

One thing I will say about them... They have a little trouble clamping down on some of the Coiltek coils that have the thicker cables. It's not a big deal though because you can still run the cable through the clamps and they stay secure.

Matt, Martin pretty much identified the source for the Carbon Fiber shaft. Herb used to sell them on eBay but I haven't seen them up for a little while. Look up "Herb" on any of the forums and send him a PM. I'm sure he can hook you up with one. I've been using mine since April and I love it!

Hope this helps guys

Del

That is the best setup I've seen yet--I'm going to check radio shack out to see if they carry any of those clamps or simular---Good Job and thanks for sharing :thumbsupanim Mike C...:ph34r2:

I have a pack I got at Wallysworld same clamp without the 2 holes in the base found em in the auto dept on closeout. Good Stuff

I checked the Vanco site and couldn't find them...also checked Home Depot and Ace and

didn't find them there either....I would go check WalMart but it's a five hour drive

each way and they probably wouldn't have them anyway!!!

If you can find the "Vanco 21-3500C" they have a little larger hole for the bigger cables.

Skip

Hi Garimpo, I did a quick Google search using "vanco 21-2400C" as search terms and came up with these-

Vanco Website

KCN Products

Surplus Traders

Hope this helps

Del

Del the Surplus Trader didn't have it listed and the folks at Vanco emailed me and said

the don't mess with little $hits like me...only Distributors!!! Then I opened KCN Products and it opened right to the clamps...$11.34 ea...min. order 10...is that pricey or what?

Thanks for all the help....

Just found what I was looking for ....the clips are 100 per pkg.min.order 10 pkg=1,000...

anybody need a couple dozen clips?

Skip I just checked and they do have the 3500's also....on .50 cents per 100 more....still min. order is 10 pkgs...

thanks for the help....

Sorry Guys,

I don't have any made up at this time, I will try to see what I can do to make some .

Garimpo,

Here is a similar product. Link

Rich

Thanks Rich....that Rinco Kwik Klip is adjustable which would be good for both sizes of

cords...the Vanco has the two holes for the plastic tie which I like....thanks