Nugget Shooter Forums

Bounty Hunter in plain white wrapper

My wife bought me a Bounty Hunter from Bass Pro this last spring. I know if I really want to find anything good out there I need to get better equipment, but, If properly set, can it be used for nugget shooting? I have a neice and nephew in Mariposa County and they say there's plenty to be found there still with the right equipment on their property or in/near the river and streams and I really want to try my luck my next visit.. Can someone give me a few scraps of info about tuning it?? Thanks....

Mike

My wife bought me a Bounty Hunter from Bass Pro this last spring. I know if I really want to find anything good out there I need to get better equipment, but, If properly set, can it be used for nugget shooting? I have a neice and nephew in Mariposa County and they say there's plenty to be found there still with the right equipment on their property or in/near the river and streams and I really want to try my luck my next visit.. Can someone give me a few scraps of info about tuning it?? Thanks....

Mike

Mike,

Can you post the model name of the unit. My first detector was a Bounty Hunter. It was rough going looking for gold, but its deadly on coins and relics.

OL'29er

Hi Mike,

The issue you will come across is in the ability of the Bounty Hunter to work in "Hot" soils. They actually do quite well coin shooting in soil with very little mineralization, but are not designed to handle the rapidly changing and mineral "Hot" soils on encounters in an average placer deposit. In most cases gain will have to be reduced greatly if adjustable to accommodate the soil which in turn reduces sensitivity and depth of the detector.

Get some lead fishing sinkers and experiment some before hunting to get a "feel" for the ground and if you can get your detector to retain a stable ground balance. Gold will sound similar and this will also let you know how small of a nugget you will be able to hear...

As the price goes up with metal detectors and especially gold detectors you are paying for this stability in tough ground.

Your other issue will be "Hot" rocks.... Lots of hot rocks.

But if you can get it to run smoothly and you get it over a nugget, yes you will find it if within your detectors range. I have never used a Bounty Hunter for gold or in the desert here so I am simply speculating and have never hunted where you are going so know nothing about the soil, but I have tried some of the other lower end models out here and well.... See above.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, heck there are other things to find in the area as well I would think.

Archived