Nugget Shooter Forums

Back in the mid 80's I was running a Gold bug and one day it started acting up it would give me nice signals and I would dig and nothing would be there.Then the signal would just disapear and I could run it for awhile.

I took the detector to Fisher 3 times and none of the techs could figure it out.I went home and was a little ruff taking it apart to put it back in it's box.As I removed the lower shaft out came this little cresent moon shaped piece of gold colored anodized aluminum that had broke off of one of the holes in the uper shaft.

I guess it was in the bottom of the lower shaft and it would move every once in a while and give me a good signal.

Well problem solved!!

So now anytime I get a new detector shaft I run a gun cleaning brush back and forth though it a few times and sometimes I'm surprised at what comes out of it.

Back in the mid 80's I was running a Gold bug and one day it started acting up it would give me nice signals and I would dig and nothing would be there.Then the signal would just disapear and I could run it for awhile.

I took the detector to Fisher 3 times and none of the techs could figure it out.I went home and was a little ruff taking it apart to put it back in it's box.As I removed the lower shaft out came this little cresent moon shaped piece of gold colored anodized aluminum that had broke off of one of the holes in the uper shaft.

I guess it was in the bottom of the lower shaft and it would move every once in a while and give me a good signal.

Well problem solved!!

So now anytime I get a new detector shaft I run a gun cleaning brush back and forth though it a few times and sometimes I'm surprised at what comes out of it.

Good info Matt and that would drive ya nutts till located, almost as bad as someone putting a dime inbetween your coil and cover :*&$*(:

:arrowheadsmiley: #1 problem I've seen by the 1,000's is the metal stress relief on detector connectors shorting out,most of the time periodic and it'll drive ya up the wall. The coiled spring slowly but surely works it's way back in and starts a periodic short which then becomes permanent.Kills batteries with the short too. Simply unscrew it back out of the plug socket a couple a turns and the problem disappears. I've have done this, internet folks, and friends 1,000s a times over these past 50 years with all brands at one time or another. Some changed to sealed/coated now but many out there still-John