Nugget Shooter Forums

Fusion Crust

Can fusion crust be differant colors ? As in a whitish, brown or black??

A fusion crust or ablated coating as far as I know would be black, if it was a recent fall. On or about 100years...I have found meteorites at Gold Basin and the fusion surface is a light chocolate brown. Theory is this fall is on or about 20,000 years old so it fades from black to brown.

Is it possible it would look something like this Fred?

post-300-074582200 1286906386_thumb.jpg

The first one I found(and tried to post pics of) looks almost the same as the pic you posted, same brownish rusty color with small indentations, but on a smaller scale. My son's gf has a better camera than mine and said she would take a few pics for me... The one with the whitish crust on one side may just be from it lying on Coyote lake for so long. Out of the 9 found, they all have the same general coloring except for two, ones darker and heavier, the other has that strange white stuff on one side.. Been talking to some people from the local rock hound club here, they are going to have a look at them for me...