Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Bug 2 14" coil

wjbell

If you are seriously thinking of getting a 14" coil, it is time to get a Minelab PI. The more ground that the GB2 coil see's, the noisier the detector will be. Plus it will be so out of balance it will be really difficult to swing it. Find a whole bunch of gold with the 6" coil first.

Goldbug Ron

If you are seriously thinking of getting a 14" coil, it is time to get a Minelab PI. The more ground that the GB2 coil see's, the noisier the detector will be. Plus it will be so out of balance it will be really difficult to swing it. Find a whole bunch of gold with the 6" coil first.

Goldbug Ron

Thanks Ron. Well, I was looking for the extra depth, specifically in tailing piles. If I could afford a minelab PI I'd get one and be done with it! :) If I get any PI it will have to be a TDI or a REAL good deal on an older minelab. In tailing piles will a 14" coil really have no benefit over the 6"? I understand that the gb2 is a vlf, it's going to have issues with ground mineralization. But the bigger coil with have a better chance at seeing deeper gold, right?

Like Ron said,

Extra depth will be minimal using a larger coil on a VLF, but ground noise will increase in most cases. Been there done that... Best bet is save your beans for a PI if you want good depth in highly mineralized desert soils.

Learn to use what ya have for now as suggested, it is a good detector.

There is a good deal on a GP3500 "very good condition" with 2 coils in the classifieds, only $1500, about the same as a TDI, but I guess you've already seen it?

Skip

Yeah saw that. Looks like a great deal and all I'd probably need. Just a timing issue for me. I'd have to sell my GB2 and finish up my current job (get paid). I'll have to see how it goes and see if it's still around.

• 3 weeks later...

I have gone over a worked out area for by small coil then went to my 14"and got gold. Not every time. The area I work I do not have extra ground noise. Unless I get close to the power lines I like the 14" but do not use it often. I was surprised how small I still got with the 14" and in my area the small amount of extra depth did definately help. I can not compare it to other detectors. So not saying it is the best. I work with a minelabe friend and I get a lot more nuggets but over a season he has more weight.