Nugget Shooter Forums

Found Gold On Iron ?

Well had an interesting find the other day. Went to do a bit of nugget- hunting on my buddies 15 acres, the site was used from the 1849 gold rush and had some activity in the great depression. Although I did not find any nuggets I did find gold in a strange form. I was detecting below some old mines, hoping to uncover a nugget that could have worked down when I got a wham on the headphones. Down about 6 inches came out this 29 pound hunk of metal with gold along the sides. Anyone have any ideas of what it is ?

post-22658-002278300 1286490411_thumb.jp

post-22658-026486600 1286490423_thumb.jp

post-22658-023704200 1286490442_thumb.jp

post-22658-082454900 1286490453_thumb.jp

post-22658-089410600 1286490469_thumb.jp

It is an iron slug from the bottom of a crucible it looks like to me. I am no smelter man nor chemist but I have seen a fellow rework old crucibles and cupels with nuts and bolts in the smelt instead of lead. I didnt see the button but it stands to reason it would look a lot like what you have.

It looks like it was melted under flux of some type. The metal looks solid and not porous? The particles look like hardrock gold to me. You have scraped them off the rusty edges? How did you free the gold from the "disk" of metal?

My guess is that it was a smelting experimment gone awry. A lot of strange molten messes have been made trying to get the gold out. It is a bizarre find for sure.

I agree...It is from a stamp mill...Many years ago my mining partner and I found a few of them at an old mill site...They looked just like that, even with a bit of gold on them...Cheers, Unc P.s. We also swept around the base of the old stamp and got some good fine gold...

It could be one or the other. If the bottom is flat and smooth then it could be a stamp from the mill.

If the bottom is rounded on the bottom then it could be an old crucible.

I personally think it's part of a stamp mill. Like Chris and Ron, I have seen gold pounded into iron stamps. :twocents:

Bob :olddude:

Cool find :thumbsupanim

It is eather a shoe or a die out of a stamp mill .

The shoe went in the bottom of the battery box and the die went in the boss head on the stamp stem as time went on they would wear out thus needing to be replaced.You can find a lot of them at my place in the old tailing piles.

Some have gold on them also but I have never seen one with that much on it.

I have a old stampmill that I need to get running someday.

Might be fun :inocent:

Hello fellas, thanks for all your responses on the iron object. I think I'll go back and try and located the mill site maybe I'll find more of these and some gold. Although it appears on one side that their are burned holes in the thing. Could of been a rough casting or they might have used it as an iron cruicible to smelt gold. I'll go along with these two possiblities. Good hunting to you all.

post-22658-036879400 1286542310_thumb.jp

post-22658-068939000 1286542337_thumb.jp

post-22658-018698800 1286542355_thumb.jp

The holes are just from the pour casting job. most of the old mines made there own parts.

They would take the used up parts and recast them.

Think about it how much iron was there in the western U.S in the 18oo's and in the early 1850's and 60's if you didn't bring it with you it was a long wait to get it.

I'm sure a lot of wagon parts were made into digging tools.

Later,Matt

Thanks David for the info on stamp mills, now I know what to keep my eye on when I try to locate the mill. I am anxious to get back and start my search..never know may lead to something good :thumbsupanim . Matt good point, makes a lot of sense to use up any scrape iron and cast on site. Lots of tools that I have found sure have the appearance of being hastily made. Denny, yes I have a special spot for it near my rusta-relics display. It's funny to most people not involved in the search for gold this stuff we find on our great search for the auluseve metal would be considered junk. But you as well as I know objects such as this tell us a story of Americas past during the great gold rush :miner: .

Most mines had blacksmith shops...My late partners and I used a more concave shoe to break our ore samples on before feeding the old Gibson ball mill.Saw lots of that kind of stuff in Angels Creek back in the 70's while snorkling and fanning for gold.Millsite for the Madison mine was 30 feet away,across the road.Now if you could find the copper amalgamating sheet :thumbsupanim

Most mines had blacksmith shops...My late partners and I used a more concave shoe to break our ore samples on before feeding the old Gibson ball mill.Saw lots of that kind of stuff in Angels Creek back in the 70's while snorkling and fanning for gold.Millsite for the Madison mine was 30 feet away,across the road.Now if you could find the copper amalgamating sheet :thumbsupanim

Hey David, yea no doubt ! Never know where these things lead too! Is this a copper amalgamating sheet? One side has a nice patina on copper sheet, the other side what appears to be mercury? It appears like this piece was cut from a larger plate.

post-22658-038150600 1286569252_thumb.jp

post-22658-007391000 1286569266_thumb.jp

post-22658-000662400 1286569286_thumb.jp

You might want to scrape it off with a good putty knife..burn the residue off with nitric,a torch or your preferred method.Be sure to be well ventilated.An old porcelin face cream jar or porcelin teapot.Pour in the nitric..run like hell :whaaaa: and good luck on your finds...If you've tailings/waste dumps at the site..bench test the quartz with your beeper.If you've an adit/tunnel on site,check both hillsides,left and right for float from millions of years of erosian..and if your into hardrock look for other veins in the immediate area..probably more ounces of fine yellow gold overlooked at mines by beepers who get the species.