Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi from Prescott, AZ. I'm new to detecting (and Arizona - just retired here) and hope to spend lots of time nugget hunting. I recently purchased a Tesoro Lobo ST and would like to join up with other members to learn the ropes of nugget hunting. When I'm not busy being a wife and a mom, I'd like to be out there hunting and learning. Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Well you came to the right place and welcome! You may even find someone here from your area to go nugget shooting with. There is also a wealth of knowledge to point you in the right direction.

I should also add there is an outing the last week of October at Gold Basin...Free. Check at the top of the nugget shooting page....

Welcome Outdoors1 to this forum. I am pretty new myself, I hope you find this forum helpfull as I do. All I can say is learn your detector, never give up, and ask questions...and by gosh get out and use it as often as you can. :) The gold is out there, and the hunts are just as fun as finding the gold. Good Hunting.

Welcome to Arizona and to the forum.

I'm pretty new also, but I have learned a valuable lesson already: Don't be afraid to ask these gals and guys anything. They are the most open and helpful people I have run across.

Best of luck.....

Patrick in Havasu.....

Well, You have a detector that finds gold, and you live in the Bradshaws....I`d say thats a pretty good start :brows:

Hi from Prescott, AZ. I'm new to detecting (and Arizona - just retired here) and hope to spend lots of time nugget hunting. I recently purchased a Tesoro Lobo ST and would like to join up with other members to learn the ropes of nugget hunting. When I'm not busy being a wife and a mom, I'd like to be out there hunting and learning. Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I have to second what Bill said about the outing, bring the family, it will be a good time! Also, I live in Chino, so if I can give you a hand, don't be shy! I have a few friends that also run a Lobo ST that might be able to help you out.

Bunk

Thanks for the welcome. Since I first posted, I've joined GPAA and I have been practicing with the Lobo ST out at Lynx Creek in Prescott and have found - you guessed it - a lot of trash. I did find a a previously dug hole which I detected just for kicks. It looks like someone had found some scrap rusted metal and just tossed it aside and gave up on the hole. I came up with a signal on the same hole so I started to dig. I located a large rusted bolt that looks like it was probably from some of the mining machinery from the dredging days. I retrieved the bolt and filled the hole. I also packed out all the trash I found leaving the place better than I found it. I figure if I'm good about that then maybe gold is in my future??? I have been invited to the Lucky Linda Claim for a Common Dig on Saturday so I am looking forward to that. I will consider the Gold Basin outing but not sure yet. I enjoy reading the forum.

Welcome from New Mexico! Mind Your Mouth Boys, Woman on Deck! LOL

Your going to find what you want in here some place. Again , Welcome!

:thumbsupanim Outdoors-ya already passed muster with the trash removal story!!! Leave it cleaner than when you showed up and next time it'll be easier. #1 tip is listen to the folks on this forum as there are some great ideas and MUCH info to assimilate-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :eee: AND great emoticons

Again Wellcome to the electronic hunting community.

And if at all possible make it to the common digs, outings etc. There is NO substitute for eyes/hands on knowledge in the field from others who have been there done that.

You will cut the learning time dramatically by observing, taking part and applying what you experience.

Theres a nugget out there with your name on it you just need to find it.

Hapy Huntn.

Well, my sister and I made it out to the Lucky Linda GPAA claim this morning in Congress, AZ. We learned upon arrival that the common dig had been canceled due to yesterday's rain. I'm not sure why as the weather was beautiful this morning. We met some nice gentlemen from the Phoenix area and learned a little about the 1500 acre claim which is on BLM property. One fellow told us we could prospect on this claim for years and not cover it all. We didn't see any rattle snakes although there were lots of snake holes. I'm sure if I knew how many rattle snakes I was walking over that were in those holes, I wouldn't even be walking around there. The views of the surrounding mountains are beautiful. Unfortunately, all my targets were junk metal this time out. My next goal is to look for GPAA claims in the Bradshaw Mountains (closer to Prescott) for my next day trip.

Well, my sister and I made it out to the Lucky Linda GPAA claim this morning in Congress, AZ. We learned upon arrival that the common dig had been canceled due to yesterday's rain. I'm not sure why as the weather was beautiful this morning. We met some nice gentlemen from the Phoenix area and learned a little about the 1500 acre claim which is on BLM property. One fellow told us we could prospect on this claim for years and not cover it all. We didn't see any rattle snakes although there were lots of snake holes. I'm sure if I knew how many rattle snakes I was walking over that were in those holes, I wouldn't even be walking around there. The views of the surrounding mountains are beautiful. Unfortunately, all my targets were junk metal this time out. My next goal is to look for GPAA claims in the Bradshaw Mountains (closer to Prescott) for my next day trip.

Sounds like a good day and not to worry over the holes you see as most are rat, mouse, or ground squirrel holes. Snakes do use them on occasion, but prefer pack rat nests and rock crevasses for sleeping areas or homes. You will often find them in brush or at the base of trees as well. Actually more interesting and non aggressive critters than dangerous unless messed with. Heck they even have the courtesy to warn ya if ya get close enough to worry them you may be hungry :inocent:

Bill and Outdoors your post remind me of a true story I've not thought of in years...it

happened to a prospector from Phoenix...a really nice guy...but the type of guy that if

$hit is going to happen to anybody it'll be him...

They were out in the desert on a camp out...sitting around a nice fire having just finished

supper and were having a few beers and swapping truths...Bill you've probably witnessed this

several times...at some point he figured it best to go just out side of the circle of

light and download a few beers in a "rat" hole...he didn't get finished before a rattler

came flying out of that hole and bit him on the leg!!!!

Last I heard he still called Phoenix home but that was several years back....