Nugget Shooter Forums

Fisher Gold Bug Special Edition Metal Detector

Doc Z

First, Hi to all of you. My first post here. I am a rank Nubie, so could use some feedback about choosing detectors. What I really want to evaluate tho is the Fisher Gold Bug SE. I have read differing reports about this unit, including a delayed release, problems with initial units sold, and some glowing reports about the job this machine does. Have the problems been worked out? Do I have to worry about getting an "early production unit? I hope my questions make sense, but would appreciate any straight scoop about this unit.

:baaasmiley: TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many configurations,bait and switch, and new owners are proving to be unreliable. Keep your cash for another as consumers are being utilized as guinea pigs to infield engineer the units. Sorry to my old mentor Irwin Lee as I never thought in my lifetime I'd EVER utter them words about your beloved Fisher machines---bummer :shrug: John

First, Hi to all of you. My first post here. I am a rank Nubie, so could use some feedback about choosing detectors. What I really want to evaluate tho is the Fisher Gold Bug SE. I have read differing reports about this unit, including a delayed release, problems with initial units sold, and some glowing reports about the job this machine does. Have the problems been worked out? Do I have to worry about getting an "early production unit? I hope my questions make sense, but would appreciate any straight scoop about this unit.

The Gold Bug Special Edition is already been released and is for sale at dealers, it is the Gold Bug Pro that has been delayed being released, it should already be on the shelves for sale at your local Fisher dealer.

I not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, good because eeerrrr aaahhh (cough cough) "Fisher" (in reality First Texas) doesn't want to release it until it is perfect or bad because they are having problems with getting it just right.

But I'm on the same page as Hoser John, First Texas has done everyone an injustice with the "NEW" Goldbug, first releasing it through Cabelas as the "NEW" Goldbug dubbed by Cabelas as the Goldbug 3, a lot of people bought that version only to realize later that it wasn't the final version of the "NEW" Goldbug, then First Texas released the Gold Bug Special Edition, and then a while later stating that later they would release the much better "Pro", now there are a lot of very impatient people that have paid for the Pro in advance or have place a deposit on one that are still waiting way past the original release date.

I also might add the price of each of the "NEW" Goldbugs has gone up substantially with each release/update of the "New" Goldbug, a detector first advertised before being released as a "Entry Level" Gold Detector and priced as such, and the Cabelas version was priced at that "Entry Level", but not IMHO are the later SE and Pro verisons!!

The general consensus is that First Texas is using there customers as a "cash cow" to pay for the on going Research and Development of the "NEW" Goldbug.

I'm am great Fisher FAN, but I'm not a FAN of the "New" (cough cough) First Texas Fisher products!!!

I would suggest getting a Goldbug 2, great machine, but I would buy a good condition used one, not a First Texas newer verison!!

Skip

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of the GBSE's and personally, I like them. This detector is very sensitive to small gold, especially in the all metal mode and not bad in the disc mode either. Also, the disc mode has a couple of features I like in the specifics of how it either changes tones or ignores targets, simply by how it is set up.

As I said, I have two of the SE units, one of the first to be shipped out and one of the latest with supposedly the latest mods. Personally, I can't tell much difference between them when testing with gold targets. I do need to actually do more specific testing to compare the two, though. I suspect there might be a difference if trying to use the detector for other purposes such as coin hunting. Actually, I have heard that the early Cabella's were the best of the bunch on silver. Some people think the later versions were detuned a little on silver simply because it did so well initially that it almost competed with their F75 for coin hunting when it first came out.

I don't have any personal experience with the original new GB's sold at Cabella's but a friend of mine does and I believe him simply because he is probably one of the few people who really knows this detector.

I suspect that part of the problem with Fisher is they know they have a cash cow and have decided the price is too low. So, my guess is they will fancy it up a little and raise the price accordingly.

I can't say I am a great fan of their coil shapes. The small coil is just that, very small. The larger coil seems a bit heavy. Personally, I would like to see a typical elliptical design about the size of the original GB coil. Because the coils are of a "dumb" design, I might try a different coil made by another manufacture to see if it will work.

The GB SE only comes with the 5" coil as standard, but I understand the "Greek" Tek DD coils work fine on the SE. I tried a larger DD coil off a F75 and it worked, but seemed to struggle with the ground balance. I also heard the Pro version may come with both the smaller and larger coils.

Anyway, I have no complaints at this time but I don't have any excessive hands on time on using them either. I do hope to put more time in with them next week.

BTW, I am not a dealer nor do I have any specific interest in the GB's other than using them for nugget hunting. They just happen to be two detectors I have in my bunch that I can use. I always have extra detectors on hand for family to use and since I got a good deal on one of these units, I figured I would take it.

I can't say I am a great Fisher fan, but these units seem to work fine. My opinion may change with more use but it may not either. I won't nitpick, but I will look for the good and the bad when it comes to using the detector for nugget hunting. I still have a lot of testing to do before I will feel really comfortable using any of the features other than the all metal mode.

The detector does have one nice feature and that is, iron is to register less than 40 on the readout. It is too bad that some ferrous junk hasn't read that. Small pieces if thin tin can or bottle cap type junk can lie on this detector about like it does on others. At least, that is what I have found so far. Now, nails seem to be ignored quite well and seem to follow the rules much better than the thin junk.

Reg

Good to have ya back Reg! Your extensive knowledge of purt near all detectors VLF and PI is most welcome always like or dislike. Thanks for the input on this new detector which is another I have not used as of yet.

Thank yous to you as well AU seeker for helping answer the posters questions!

It is what we are here for...