Nugget Shooter Forums

coil choice and why

claytargethntr

I will admit I am very much a newbe with this gpx 4500 and with gold detecting. I know I will find this very helpful and I am sure other folks getting started will find this discussion helpful as well. Here are a few coil questions I have, this will mainly be in relation to AZ hunting, but all suggestions are welcome.

How good is the 11 DD coil that came with the detector for this area?

If you only could have one coil for AZ what would it be and why?

When do you recommend using a mono? Using a DD?

What are the benefits/limitations of a mono? a DD?

Are there benefits to the minelab coils? Coilteck? Or some other coil?

I know I am asking a lot but having a hard time finding good info. Thanks for your time and input.

claytargethntr

I will try to help...

How good is the 11 DD coil that came with the detector for this area?

The 11 DD is a good all around coil and will run very stable in almost all areas with proper adjustment, but lacks some of the sensitivity and depth offered by a mono the same size. Minelab supplies a DD with the detector for this reason as well as neither Cancel or discriminate will work with a mono coil.

If you only could have one coil for AZ what would it be and why?

Limiting yourself to one coil is not realistic given that the GPX series is made to work best with and has settings also designed for several coil sizes to allow the operator to work shallow soils + small nuggets (smaller coil) to very deep soils (large coil) + large nuggets and most patches should be worked with more than one coil. I guess if only one was available I would want the 12 x 15 Commander Coil. Again there are many conditions in which we hunt soil wise and changing coils will give the operator an advantage.

When do you recommend using a mono? Using a DD?

In AZ I use a mono most of the time and only put on a DD if I can't make a mono run smooth in a given area because of high mineralization.

What are the benefits/limitations of a mono? a DD?

Already answered to some degree in first answer, DD for VERY HOT ground and Mono for most conditions

Are there benefits to the minelab coils? Coilteck? Or some other coil?

Some will say yes some no... I use Minelab Coils most of the time and feel they give me the best performance on the GPX series after personal testing. There are now some new models out by both Coiltek and NuggetFinder that folks swear by as well, but as I said I use Minelab Commander. Much of this is personal preference I think and some of the aftermarket coils have elliptical shapes folks like. I use what I feel works best for me simple as that

I know I am asking a lot but having a hard time finding good info. Thanks for your time and input.

I'd like say that the DD coil and discrimination is underutilized, allot of good ground is littered with ferrous trash that can be identified by discrimination. It's not foolproof but used judicially it can eliminate many needless digs. The best coil to use for this is the Commander 5x10 elliptical DD. Flick the coil switch to mono and you have the most sensitive coil on the market, great for sniping bedrock or pinpointing. When i'm swinging large monos, 18' and larger, I'll carry this little gem and use it on deep holes to pinpoint/ID.

like Bill, I'd pick the 12x15 mono Commander if i could only use one coil. It's obvious that Minelab has the inside track when designing coils for there detectors, the Commanders are top performers and a better value.

Along with the stock 11" DD, these are the coils I recommend.

In no specific order.

Commander 9x5 DD

Commander 8" round mono

Commander 11" round mono

Commander 12x15 mono

Chris